Hey Yall!
    I am new to CB and new to searching for applications. I've had my BB for 1 month now and I ♥ it! But I have been interested in learning ASL. So I was wondering if there is an application for ASL? Let alone if you've heard of such an application?!
    04-19-09 03:48 PM
    What exactly do you mean? I'm not sure what type of app you could have for asl.

So no, I'm not aware of anything like that existing. I am taking a community college course in ASL. It's my first semester, and I'm doing ok in it. My comprehension is way beyond my ability to sign, though.

That's not really relevant, I just decided to mention it.
    04-19-09 04:32 PM
    I am not aware of any BB programs but I think it is awesome that you are learning ASL
    04-19-09 06:24 PM
    If you are looking for a good site I'd suggest Lifeprint.com

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-19-09 11:57 PM
    Thanks for the link Jeff!
    I like how I can view the site on my BB internet!

04-20-09 12:27 AM
    Hi!

I'm Deaf and use ASL daily to communicate. I don't know of an ASL app but I would recommend finding a Deaf social in your area...e.g., deafcoffee.com. I don't recommend Lifeprint for beginning signers. I think Bill tends to water down ASL syntax to make it easy to understand. So much that it isn't ASL but a pidgin between ASL and English.

I recommend the Master ASL DVD and book for self study. Many features of ASL rely on the face or very small handshape changes that are hard to read on a BlackBerry. For example, SNEAK-OUT and GO-EXPLORE-THE-CITY have very obvious differences in facial expression and size but you wouldn't see it on a BlackBerry.

Thanks!

04-20-09 01:20 AM
    ^^Cool Thanks for your advice :-)

04-20-09 01:22 AM
    No problem! Good luck.

04-20-09 01:40 AM

So much that it isn't ASL but a pidgin between ASL and English.

ha! thats what gets me in trouble
    04-20-09 02:56 AM
    Hey thanks for the suggestions. I would love to stay in contact as I use signs as well. I do believe the best way to learn ASL is from the primary users of the language. Schools and textbooks do not truly show accurate signs. I learned faster by making new friends in the Deaf community. By the way, I am hearing impaired and have been since birth.

04-20-09 09:50 PM
    Thanks everyone for all your help :-)

Its greatly appreciated!!

04-20-09 10:30 PM
    Hi!

I'm Deaf and use ASL daily to communicate. I don't know of an ASL app but I would recommend finding a Deaf social in your area...e.g., deafcoffee.com. I don't recommend Lifeprint for beginning signers. I think Bill tends to water down ASL syntax to make it easy to understand. So much that it isn't ASL but a pidgin between ASL and English.

I recommend the Master ASL DVD and book for self study. Many features of ASL rely on the face or very small handshape changes that are hard to read on a BlackBerry. For example, SNEAK-OUT and GO-EXPLORE-THE-CITY have very obvious differences in facial expression and size but you wouldn't see it on a BlackBerry.

Thanks!

I happened upon this thread and appreciate this info, I'm a hearing (is that what I say?) mom and my daughter and I have been learning ASL together, you know, the whole "talk to your baby before she can talk" rage, at any rate, when I started looking for materials to learn from I found that most "baby sign" programs weren't ASL at all, just some dumbed-down version, in fact, some signs these programs teach aren't even close to correct, my little girl is almost 2 and has great verbal communication skills, and still signs daily along with her spoken words, so we are ready for our next steps, she (and I) are hungry for more, so thanks for the info, its hard to sort out the direction to go next, I'm excited to give my child the chance to be bilingual.

05-18-09 10:40 PM
    I was wondering if there's an ASL dictionary app for Blackberry? I work with a little autistic boy who is non-verbal and uses signs to communicate his desires...and he's just learning to broaden his signs, and just for ease of interpretation we've decided to stick as closely to ASL as possible with him. He doesn't need syntax or anything like that- it's more just so he can tell us what he wants, say thank you, etc...they're very disjointed. I was hoping that there would be an ASL dictionary for BB so that I can- for instance- teach him the sign for "rocking chair" so he can use that rather than smacking me and/or dragging me to it. Any ideas?
    09-23-09 11:17 AM
    Hi...Wonder if you like make new deaf friend ? Pls let me know if you still interesting then pin me 3088f17b
    12-13-09 12:05 AM
    i suggest this site, it shows you the video for the sign you are looking for. I use it all the time, pin me for the url since it will not lemme post it here.

I am late deafened.

21919CA9

deej
    06-04-10 03:20 AM
    Hi, now it will let me post. Here is the link:

ASLPro.mobi - Main Dictionary

dj
    06-04-10 03:31 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD