I have some interesting insight...it is by no means scientific, but here it goes...

I updated my Storm to .85 right after it was leaked. I didn't do a wipe, just installed it on top of the .75 that my phone shipped with. I have not experienced about 90% of the problems and/or bugs that have been described in these forums, including the app error bug.

This past Tuesday, I was in Best Buy and noticed a nice looking holster that was on sale that fit the Storm. The holster has a large magnetic flap that secures the flap down - a much larger magnet than the holster that I had my Storm in. I bought it, and immediately put my Storm in the new holster.

When I got home and took my Storm out of the holster - guess what - a solid white screen with app error 523 in small letters. Strange - as it's the first time that that had ever happened.

I did a battery pull, got things back to normal. Put the Storm back in the new holster.

About two hour later, a friend stopped by and asked why I hadn't been answering my cell. I went into my holster, got my Storm, and guess what - that solid white screen and app errror again !!

Did another battery pull and decided not to use that holster any more. Haven't seen the app error since.

Just downloaded .90, and things have been smooth so far. No app error.

Again - not scientific - but I wonder if the magnet in some non-OEM holsers is somehow interfering with the Storm ??
    01-23-09 09:42 AM
    Noting newer on this? I am on my 3rd Storm from VZW. I have had the App Error 523 reset loop with *NO* 3rd party sw installed (except Facebook which come with). Frustrating. I am not restoring the data, RIM had me just Sync with Outlook to get my data. Other than that I am scared to add an app as it is likely to crash with 523. Let's keep this thread alive until we know where this is coming from.
    02-03-09 05:25 PM
    I never had an app error till I deleted an app off my phone (viigo) without using the DM, I used the phone delete option itself. After rebooting, I had an app error 523 and sometimes when recharging, I would get it too.

I backed up, wiped the phone completely with JL and reloaded the backup. BUT this backup has some latent code or something somewhere because the error just happened again.

I am now going to try wiping with JL Commander and starting from scratch with no restoring from a backup, as I believe this is the only way to fix it (for me)
    02-03-09 07:34 PM
    When I upgraded to .99 I didn't have it back up and restore my applications. Then I restored only my messages, contacts, and calendar. So far I haven't had any issues.
    02-03-09 10:30 PM
    I never seen this happen until I installed the Quick Pull App. It worked great for the first few days and I was loving it because I didn't have to yank out the battery. Then just like that, I would activate the app either manually or even a scheduled pull and this fricken app error would pop up. The worst part was I would reset the app 3 or 4 times and pull the actual battery out and it would still pop up. So now when it happens I find if I plug my phone into my pc it will finish rebooting without having to go through this BS. Not much good if your not near your pc. As you can guess I removed the app, which really sucks because I liked this app. Just my 2 cents.
    02-05-09 04:33 PM
    I never seen this happen until I installed the Quick Pull App. It worked great for the first few days and I was loving it because I didn't have to yank out the battery. Then just like that, I would activate the app either manually or even a scheduled pull and this fricken app error would pop up. The worst part was I would reset the app 3 or 4 times and pull the actual battery out and it would still pop up. So now when it happens I find if I plug my phone into my pc it will finish rebooting without having to go through this BS. Not much good if your not near your pc. As you can guess I removed the app, which really sucks because I liked this app. Just my 2 cents.
    You may be on something here. I have never had the 523 error before a minute ago. I do not use gmail only BES. But I did load it get Quickpull running correctly a few days ago. I am going to leave it for now but if I get the app 523 error again I will remove quickpull.
    02-24-09 07:04 PM
31 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD