Is there any kind of app that tells you the altitude of the location you're at or maybe an altitude database app?
    02-04-09 10:36 PM
    You're at 6157' right?

Good call, this would be cool.

I'm sure if google maps could give depth and height to their maps AND pinpoint you via GPS/aGPS, this could work.
    02-04-09 11:39 PM
    You would need a GPS program which would compare your location to a sea level database.

Although it would be neat, I think the demand for such an app is too small.
    02-04-09 11:44 PM
    You would need a GPS program which would compare your location to a sea level database.

At first thought, sure...

But after that stupid level program came out, all the contractors in the world came out in the forums and said they would slap an otterbox on their Storm and start leveling stuff.

Mountain climbers, ultralight pilots, skiers...who knows, he could be on to something...
    02-04-09 11:56 PM
    yeah i think it would be cool in a plane
    02-05-09 12:00 AM
    yeah i think it would be cool in a plane
    Note bene -

When the flight attendant tells you to put your phone in "Airplane Mode", it would turn off all abilities to send/receive, to include the ability to send/receive location via GPS/aGPS. I've seen flight attendants whip out a muay thai clinch on someone who had their GPS on during a flight. Just kidding about the muay thai clinch.

Now if you're on those British Airways flights where they are allowing you to talk on your phone during the flight, I'm sure you could get away with it.
    02-05-09 12:07 AM
    It wouldn't be possible to do it from a plane or even a ladder etc. You would have to be on the ground for it to work.

The gps can't tell if you're on the ground or not it can only tell (x,y) not z. So it would only work when on the ground.

Skiers would probably get the most use out of it.
    02-05-09 12:17 AM
    It wouldn't be possible to do it from a plane or even a ladder etc. You would have to be on the ground for it to work.

The gps can't tell if you're on the ground or not it can only tell (x,y) not z. So it would only work when on the ground.

Very good point...
    02-05-09 12:22 AM
    Considering all the inane apps out there for BB and the iPhone, I don't think an altitude app is a stretch.

One of you wizards get to work on it. I know it's in your.
    02-05-09 01:27 AM

Entirely incorrect.

GPS can indeed provide elevation. No need for any kind of topography database or other reference (outside of the GPS satellites own self positional reference that is.)

As an Avionics Tech who has spent years working with GPS systems, yes GPS can (and does when asked to do so) provide elevation. Pitot/Barometric, and/or Radio systems combined are still more utilized on aircraft because they can provide more information outside of just elevation (atmospheric/weather conditions, actual altitude above current ground position etc...) , however GPS is still quite capable of providing elevation/altitude above sea level.
    Last edited by rmjones101; 02-05-09 at 04:38 AM.
    02-05-09 04:22 AM
    At first thought, sure...

But after that stupid level program came out, all the contractors in the world came out in the forums and said they would slap an otterbox on their Storm and start leveling stuff.

Mountain climbers, ultralight pilots, skiers...who knows, he could be on to something...
    Yea I saw this on a commercial and I would love to have a level that was accessable when needed for a quick job!
    02-05-09 04:34 AM
    Entirely incorrect.

GPS can give provide elevation. No need for any kind of topography database or other reference.

As an Avionics Tech who has spent years working with GPS systems, yes GPS can (and does when asked to do so) provide elevation. Pitot, Barometric, and/or Radio systems combined are still more utilized because they can provide more information outside of just elevation (atmospheric/weather conditions, actual altitude above current ground etc...) , however GPS is still quite capable of providing elevation/altitude above sea level.
    Although this may be true, I looked at all the GPS references in the RIM docs and not one of them mention altitude or a Z value.

Who knows though :shrugs:
    02-05-09 04:37 AM
    Entirely incorrect.

GPS can indeed provide elevation. No need for any kind of topography database or other reference (outside of the GPS satellites own self positional reference that is.)

As an Avionics Tech who has spent years working with GPS systems, yes GPS can (and does when asked to do so) provide elevation. Pitot/Barometric, and/or Radio systems combined are still more utilized on aircraft because they can provide more information outside of just elevation (atmospheric/weather conditions, actual altitude above current ground position etc...) , however GPS is still quite capable of providing elevation/altitude above sea level.
    If this is the case, I can see this app being very popular with all the aforementioned occupations and hobbies listed.
    02-05-09 01:03 PM
    The GPS Tracker app from InstaMapper gives altitude. InstaMapper also logs it.
    02-05-09 01:15 PM
    GPS can indeed provide elevation.
    You'd be just the man to ask this then...

Exactly how accurate is the altitude on a GPS? I'll bet my life on a correctly set barometric altimeter, but not a GPS. Sometimes it matches, sometimes it doesn't.

Keep in mine the planes I fly are NOT equipped with IFR certified GPS systems. That might have something to do with it.

I've never scientifically tested this but it seems the variation comes from how far off of 29.92 the calibration is.
    02-05-09 01:16 PM
    Signal-Location Utilities aka SignalLoc gives altitude...
    02-05-09 01:24 PM
    OK kids...look up WAAS. Wide Area Augmentation System.

I'd post links but it won't let me.
    02-05-09 01:24 PM
    You'd be just the man to ask this then...

Exactly how accurate is the altitude on a GPS? I'll bet my life on a correctly set barometric altimeter, but not a GPS. Sometimes it matches, sometimes it doesn't.
    <snip>
    GPS Altitude can be pretty accurate (no less accurate that GPS position/location accuracy), but just like location, it's dependent on how many satellites it is connected to and other factors.

However GPS elevation is really only good for general reference. Aircraft wouldn't use it for Autopilot (well, altitude hold features anyway) or Landing systems. Not because of the accuracy, but because of the speed (or perhaps lack of speed I should say) in which it calculates and updates. It's simply not fast enough.
    Last edited by rmjones101; 02-05-09 at 01:50 PM.
    02-05-09 01:48 PM
    Signal-Location Utilities aka SignalLoc gives altitude...
    Do you have a JAD link for that?
    02-05-09 01:50 PM
    Do you have a JAD link for that?
    http :// f5bbutil.sourceforge.net/signalloc/download/signalloc. jad
    02-05-09 02:05 PM
    However GPS elevation is really only good for general reference. Aircraft wouldn't use it for Autopilot (well, altitude hold features anyway) or Landing systems. Not because of the accuracy, but because of the speed (or perhaps lack of speed I should say) in which it calculates and updates. It's simply not fast enough.
    Hence the development of LAAS, Local Area Augmentation System, to help with GPS approaches that already existed. LAAS sends the corrections directly to the aircraft instead of the WAAS satellites. OK getting way technical...but LNAV/RNAV/LPV approach and landing procedures exist at almost 4000 airports.
    02-05-09 02:18 PM
    This program works great for basic GPS altitude and speed. Thanks for the link!
    02-05-09 02:30 PM
    How do you disable compatability mode for this app? There is no option for that where it normally would be...
    02-05-09 02:46 PM
    How do you disable compatability mode for this app? There is no option for that where it normally would be...
    I saw that too...Not sure what the deal is...The keyboard is always showing and it doesn't shift when turned to landscape.

It's a bit clunky to change the options, but beyond that(for me), it's not that big of a deal.

I like having it set(in options) to show my location on Google Maps and let it update. Nice work around for the aGPS problems in google maps...
    02-05-09 02:55 PM

GPS is widely used in airplanes. However, many GPS programs won't support speeds over 99 mph, so it depends on the software, the maps and getting a signal.

I would suggest getting an aviation GPS for anything more than entertaining yourself in the back of an airliner though.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-05-09 02:56 PM
32 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD