As an airline pilot flying long international legs, it is routine to compute how the work/rest plan will work with three or four crewmembers. The iphone crowd is killing me with the app(s) they have to do this computation where you input how may pilots, and the start/end times of the cruise time. The iphone app displays very nicely the different rest periods, and the transition times between if that is desired. Like I said, I wish so much that I had a Blackberry app on my Bold 9650 to combat the obnoxious iphone crowd!!! I have searched high and low, can't find one for the BB. Can anyone help???
    03-23-11 10:09 PM
    I'm sorry and I hope you don't take offense to this, but this question makes me very nervous of ever talking an international flight again.

You pilots actually use an app to figure this stuff out? Isn't it as simple as having someone make a schedule for the times you work, kind of like everyone else in the world? Does this really need an app? And why are you pilots doing this math, don't you have a boss to do this? Do you flip coins for who gets the night shift or something? Do you guys use tip calculators too?

Is there a way I can figure out what pilots need an app to do this, and on what airline? I don't want to be flying over the Pacific Ocean having some guy driving the plane that depends on some smartphone app to do something so simple.

Like I said, I don't mean to offend you, or get in the way of your pissing match with your co-workers (something we all do), but this thread made me lose a lot of respect for pilots...
    03-23-11 10:32 PM
    I'm sorry and I hope you don't take offense to this, but this question makes me very nervous of ever talking an international flight again.

You pilots actually use an app to figure this stuff out? Isn't it as simple as having someone make a schedule for the times you work, kind of like everyone else in the world? Does this really need an app? And why are you pilots doing this math, don't you have a boss to do this? Do you flip coins for who gets the night shift or something? Do you guys use tip calculators too?

Is there a way I can figure out what pilots need an app to do this, and on what airline? I don't want to be flying over the Pacific Ocean having some guy driving the plane that depends on some smartphone app to do something so simple.

Like I said, I don't mean to offend you, or get in the way of your pissing match with your co-workers (something we all do), but this thread made me lose a lot of respect for pilots...
    LOL, I guess your right.
    03-23-11 11:00 PM

I see your point, but put it in perspective. They obviously have schedules written out, but with all the chaos and everything, an app will make it easier. not replace, but easier...i guess it's nice for an app to remind you that its break now that looking at your watch to determine so
    03-24-11 12:16 AM
    I see your point, but put it in perspective. They obviously have schedules written out, but with all the chaos and everything, an app will make it easier. not replace, but easier...i guess it's nice for an app to remind you that its break now that looking at your watch to determine so
    Understandable...

I guess what struck me as odd is the image I have of a pilot (talking professional ones, not your average Joe who is bored on the weekends). A pilot to me is a smart, professional person who always knows what to do, even before others start thinking about it. A person who is held responsible for their actions at all times, no matter how insignificant they might seem. Will be the only person in the room who remains calm when everyone else is going crazy in chaos. An app shouldn't be needed for a person of this stature. The next pilot will come into the cockpit (or wherever) when their shift is about to start, maybe an alarm is needed to wake them from a nap. The pilot flying the plane at any given time shouldn't be worried about when their shift is up, their only job is to keep that plane in the air. Thses shifts I'm sure are all worked out prior to take-off, so these pilots know their duties and how to work as a team, a smartphone app shouldn't even be on their mind.

I realize we're in an app world right now, that we want an app for everything, even if it's just to show off, but I'm still in awe over this thread and that there's actually an app for this. I have couple relatives that are retired pilots, one flew Northwest for over 30 years and the other was an F-16 pilot in the Air Force. They would be appalled to hear of such an app.

And OP, please don't take offense to my comments, I know you're just a BlackBerry user like all of us here that only wants their iPhone friends to shut up every so often. I'm just more in awe that an app like this even exists.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-24-11 12:52 AM
    Off my rant and back to the topic of the thread...

From my comments it's assumed that I've never heard of a BlackBerry app like this, but it seems like it's a lot like a Tip Calculator is set up. Maybe try emailing some of the developers of those and see what they say. Maybe one will be able to throw together an app quick that could do this. I'm sure it's just changing some of the values used for computing. I really have no idea though, I'm no developer.

I'm sure if you show a developer a market for it they'd be happy to put one together. Would be a win-win all the way around...

03-24-11 01:19 AM
    OK....I'm back, some interesting comments indeed...

No need for anyone to get nervous or excited about work/rest plans for cockpit crews. ALL the international airlines flying long legs of 12-15+ hours have a rest facility on the airplane, and the crews themselves establish how they want to split the time up, always considering safety as a primary responsibility. The variations occur when maybe X didn't sleep as well as Y in the time leading up to the flight, so maybe X should take a break first, all sorts of reasons. As XXXX said, we are in an app-driven sort of world. Any chance to pull out a smartphone or tablet or whatever, and use an app, we take it.....why not?
    Such an issue which I brought up is easily done with a piece of paper and a pencil in a few minutes.....it's just an excuse to use a digital toy. The main issue for me is that I am a faithful BB user, and the iphone crowd is always in your face with "did I show you this app....how 'bout this one?"
    Just looking for a chance to keep BB in the mix...I believe what I read in a forum on this site once....

"An iphone user is showy, a blackberry user is important.."
    03-24-11 11:31 AM
    What we have to remember here is that these pilots are the professionals in their field of work. They KNOW whether or not an app will be beneficial to their job or not, while still maintaining the highest standards of safety.
    With that said, I've never seen, nor have I heard of such an app for our precious Blackberries

03-24-11 11:56 AM
    Now, that would be what I would call a seriously vertical market app, lol. It sounds relatively simple at first glance, but you add many complexities as you add more features and functionality. I would want to use the digital "toy" too if I found the proper app. Hopefully someone will see enough of a market to take a stab at it.

So... Crack Cargo... any relation to Clutch?
    03-24-11 01:04 PM
    Don't you see the resemblance???
    03-24-11 01:24 PM
    sorta kinda...

What have you done with Spinner and Paddlefoot?
    03-25-11 07:57 AM
    Perhaps one of our MANY app developers who frequent CB will see this thread and get to work!!!!!!! I'm sure CrackCargo would be willing to be the primary beta tester!!!
    03-25-11 01:50 PM
    Yes, indeed I would....along with many others.

Spinner and Paddlefoot are just fine......"Synchro-Voxxing" away on DVD.....
    03-25-11 03:01 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD