Does anyone know if AIM downloaded from blackberry's site use SMS or Data? I only have 500 out of network texts.

I get told yes and no.

I dont get how an APPLICATION can use texts and NOT data. Wtf verizon.
    03-22-10 06:43 PM
    Uses data. The messages go through BIS.
    03-22-10 06:43 PM
    Uses data. The messages go through BIS.
    That's what I got told. That AIM uses my data package (unlimited). However the Verizon reps that I keep talking to tell me that it indeed uses texts.

I downloaded AIM.
    Went into the my verizon app, and checked out how many out of network texts I sent. Wrote it down.
    Opened AIM and sent TWO IM's.

I'll check it when it refreshes.

If it matters I downloaded AIM from here

BlackBerry - AOL Instant Messenger

Edit. I called verizon again. Asked the same question. Does AIM for blackberry use Data or texts to get and send instant messages?.

Him:"It uses data"
    Me:"are you sure? because I keep getting told different answers"
    Him:"Let me check".....
    Him:"No, it uses texts."

Come on.
    Last edited by theunknownone; 03-22-10 at 06:55 PM.
    03-22-10 06:46 PM
    Why wouldn't you install AIM from the application list already on the phone? Perhaps it uses the proper service.
    03-22-10 06:54 PM
    Why wouldn't you install AIM from the application list already on the phone? Perhaps it uses the proper service.
    I did have aim on there before, but I uninstalled it because I never wanted to use it. Now I do, so I downloaded it from the link I pasted.
    03-22-10 06:56 PM
    I did have aim on there before, but I uninstalled it because I never wanted to use it. Now I do, so I downloaded it from the link I pasted.

I thought when you go into applications from the home screen, then refresh, AIM would show up again. It worked for me.
    03-22-10 06:57 PM
    The aim link downloads from the same place anyways, mobile.blackberry.com
    03-22-10 06:58 PM
    The aim link downloads from the same place anyways, mobile.blackberry.com
    So should I uninstall the one I installed from the link I posted here, and goto mobile.blackberry.com and get it from there? or is it the same?
    03-22-10 07:09 PM
    It's all the same app, they all download from the same place.
    03-22-10 07:10 PM
    It's all the same app, they all download from the same place.
    Ok.

I'm waiting for my usage to update so I can get a real answer. Online at different sites its yes and no. Why so many different answers for the same question?
    03-22-10 07:14 PM
    Carrier reps are usually about as useful as taking a random guess...

As for different sites, who knows where they get their information from.... Carrier reps usually get their info from random documentation (or just whatever they think), so it's just as unreliable.
    03-22-10 07:17 PM
    AIM downloaded from BlackBerry Wallpapers, Ringtones, and More uses DATA... It does NOT count as sms from ur carrier. It doesnt matter what verizon or any other carrier says. It uses Blackberry Servers.
    03-22-10 07:19 PM
    AIM downloaded from BlackBerry Wallpapers, Ringtones, and More uses DATA... It does NOT count as sms from ur carrier. It doesnt matter what verizon or any other carrier says. It uses Blackberry Servers.
    But that is the same as the link I've posted above. Only the URL is different. Surely it should be the same right?

So my question is. Does anyone here that CURRENTLY has a blackberry WITH VERIZON with AIM installed. Does your IM's count at Data or Texts?
    Last edited by theunknownone; 03-22-10 at 07:45 PM.
    03-22-10 07:21 PM
    But that is the same as the link I've posted above. Only the URL is different. Surely it should be the same right?
    I just did a quick search and found 5 links for it, all from different URL's, including three from AOL itself, so that by itself doesn't mean much. All were for the same exact version of AIM. As far as text or data, it has to be data because you are interacting with the AOL AIM servers and that is being routed via BIS, which is data. Another way to look at it is that you are not texting a phone number (I know, it shows a name, but that name is tied to a phone number in your address book), but you are using a Buddy List that is maintained on the AIM servers. Data all the way I'm afraid.
    03-22-10 07:49 PM
    VZ service or not doesn't make any difference either, all the carriers use the same app by RIM.
    03-22-10 07:59 PM
    Yes it dioesnt matter what carrier you got, same app built by same company using same servers not ran by the carrier.
    If you are afraid still, either think about using an online mobile messenger (ebuddy, web based aim) orrr upgrade to unlimited txting (not recommended) and get aim throug sms.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-22-10 10:45 PM
    AIM on the Blackberry uses DATA, not SMS.

See here: AIM on Blackberry
    03-23-10 01:59 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD