I downloaded Aerize Loader as a zip file and then installed it to my Blackberry 8310 using its own installer which does not use Desktop Manager. Instead it invokes Loader.exe and loads itself from there.

The program comes with a 7 day trial and I used that to test.

Please remember that I have tested this product on one single phone with a very limited number of products. My experience with this product will almost certainly not match yours as far as products are concerned.

MAIN SCREEN
    When you first run Aerize Loader you are presented with a simple list of installed applications. To load an existing application via Aerize Loader it is first necessary to Delete it from your BlackBerry. This is easily done via Options, Advanced Options, Applications, scroll to the target application, press Menu and select Delete.

LOADING PROGRAMS TO YOUR BLACKBERY USING AERIZE LOADER
    Aerize Loader requires that .cod and .alx files for an installation are first copied to the Media Card to one of two folders SDCard/ or SDCard/loader. Individual product folders ar not permitted. Everything is dumped untidily in the same folder.

Once the program has been Deleted from your Blackberry and the .cod and .alx files are copied to the Media Card, loading the program via Aerize may begin.

Launch Aerize Loader by double trackball clicking it and select the program to install from the screen

Programs that Aerize Loader can install are denoted by the Aerize icon that you can see in the above picture.

Regular installed programs are shown as a plain list.

A minor anomaly of the Aerize Loader is that it modifies the name of the installed program in the Applications list by appending a number to the end of the name. I think that this is for Aerize Loader itself to be able to identify programs it has installed.

Note the � -3 � after the BrainUp program name

RUNNING AERIZE LOADED PROGRAMS
    Programs installed via Aerize Loader are displayed on the BlackBerry desktop using their normal icons. They look and behave just the same as they would without Aerize Loader. The only difference is that the phone may ask to reboot as it unloads the program.

Loading and run times were subjectively no slower than running them �normally�. I did not do any stopwatch tests. I cannot see any reason why run times will be any slower. Load time may be slightly slower with a big program but not by much because the internal Device Memory is not that much faster than the Media Card memory because it is the same technology of memory. The only difference will be the slightly slower addressing of the Media Card.

DELETING AERIZE LOADED PROGRAMS
    To Delete a program that you have installed via Aerize Loader simply go to Options, Advanced Options, Applications, press Menu and Delete the program in the usual way.

CONCLUSIONS
    I found that Aerize Loader just plain worked. It performs its magic by installing itself and leaving what might be described as software hooks to which it attaches to the program that it runs and then detaches them at the end. This is a clever trick that works well.

I was not able to break Aerize Loader during the time I used it but I only ran each program a couple of times to test them. I then stuffed the phone back in my pocket and went about my daily business. The only program that failed to work under Aerize Loader was paul.haenel�s GPS display program. I do not know why. I uninstalled it from the BlackBerry and then re-installed it via Desktop Manager.

Whilst doing this I noticed that program that I deleted from my phone and then re-installed via Aerize Loader showed up twice (see the three pics below � the 1st of which shows the duplicate apps)

and I had to be careful not to erase anything that I wanted. I believe this is because Aerize Loader internally renames installed programs and Desktop Manager cannot tell the difference between and old deleted-from-the-phone program and the same one loaded via Aerize Loader.

It is not necessary to keep the Aerize Loader and its rather ugly icon on your Desktop. It is safe to Hide it.

I think that this program is worth the $20 asked because it does allow you to install many programs without using up precious Device Memory.

I did not test Aerize Loader with any themes since I figured that a theme should be installed in the normal manner because it is so closely coupled to the Operating System.

08-12-08 08:00 AM
    Thank you very much Pete

It is nice to finally have a professional and unbiased review of Aerize. This will clear up the misconceptions many have about the application!

*EDIT* : And my main question, for clarification purposes, is : "Are the applications actually run from the microSD card? Or are the .cod and .alx files stored on the microSD and then the application is just installed onto your device every time you 'run' the app from Aerize?"

I have heard that Aerize does not run applications from microSD, but it loads them from the microSD onto your device (and, essentially, does not save on memory).
    Last edited by bmcclure937; 08-12-08 at 08:09 AM.
    08-12-08 08:05 AM
    When you run a program that's loaded on the SD card, Aerize installs it in the device memory. Did any of the programs you tested require the device to be rebooted after the install, before they could be run?

It sounds like Aerize may have fixed their original problems. That would be a very good development.
    08-12-08 08:20 AM
    When you run a program that's loaded on the SD card, Aerize installs it in the device memory. Did any of the programs you tested require the device to be rebooted after the install, before they could be run?

It sounds like Aerize may have fixed their original problems. That would be a very good development.
    None of the apps that I installed with Aerize required a re-boot. I think that the logic for this follows that of installing the program in the first place. Some app require a re-boot after install/uninstall whilst others do not. Since Aerize is 'hooking' the app-to-run onto its own program I can see why fewer apps running via Aerize will require a re-boot. I am sure that some will still require this.

Maybe someone out there can post an example.
    08-12-08 08:49 AM
    Pete, can you check out the question I have in my initial post? I know that many people are confused about this...
    08-12-08 08:55 AM
    Pete, can you check out the question I have in my initial post? I know that many people are confused about this...
    I'll do it tonight. I have my Mother-in-Law's bathroom in bits at the moment.
    08-12-08 09:05 AM
    Also Pete, did you test to see what happens if you attempt to run an app with the card removed? That's the acid test to prove apps are loading from the card. The last time a user tried it, it failed....

I'm traveling and can't post the link, but maybe AG can. He suggested the test originally.

EDIT: AFTER you fix the mil's bath!! Priorities, always!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by JeffH; 08-12-08 at 09:10 AM.
    08-12-08 09:07 AM
    Also Pete, did you test to see what happens if you attempt to run an app with the card removed? That's the acid test to prove apps are loading from the card. The last time a user tried it, it failed....

I'm traveling and can't post the link, but maybe AG can. He suggested the test originally.

EDIT: AFTER you fix the mil's bath!! Priorities, always!

I surely will. I think that both you and AG have asked the same question. AG is saying - does it save memory and does it really run from Device Memory and you are asking what happens if the Media Card is removed.

I am going to install Aerize on my 8100 running OS 4.5.0.55 so that I get another 7 days of free trial. This time I shall write some Free FIle numbers down during the various operations. But I really have to finish the bathroom first.
    08-12-08 09:35 AM
    great review, this is one of my fav appications

btw, i install all of my themes on aerize loader and it works fine so far.
    08-12-08 09:36 AM
    great review, this is one of my fav appications

btw, i install all of my themes on aerize loader and it works fine so far.
    THAT is good news indeed. I figured whilst I was writing that other members would come forth with things that I had not covered/discoverd. Thank you.
    08-12-08 10:10 AM
    THAT is good news indeed. I figured whilst I was writing that other members would come forth with things that I had not covered/discoverd. Thank you.
    no prob. im sure a lot more will come through too
    08-12-08 10:46 AM
    Hopefully RIM will integrate/Buy this software from the developer and put it into OS 4.7...

This sounds so awesome and so close to what the Treo can do.
    Now if it were only possible to run apps from the card...
    Wait, Olivetree is currently able to store bibles on the card and have the app that is loaded into the device memory reference the bibles on the card. Perhaps 2-way functionality isn't that far off....

Dm
    08-12-08 10:49 AM
    Hopefully RIM will integrate/Buy this software from the developer and put it into OS 4.7...

This sounds so awesome and so close to what the Treo can do.
    Now if it were only possible to run apps from the card...
    Wait, Olivetree is currently able to store bibles on the card and have the app that is loaded into the device memory reference the bibles on the card. Perhaps 2-way functionality isn't that far off....

Dm
    Applications can store data to the card (such as Docs2Go, etc)... but they cannot be stored on the card and run from the card, at least without a Third Party app
    08-12-08 10:54 AM
    Several members asked me to look a what happened if I could check what happened if I removed the Media Card from the BlackBerry and
    to verify if applications were still installed in Device Memory. I was also interested to see if Aerize really saves memory.
    I used my 8100 Pearl running OS 4.5.0.55 for this test and I cleaned out all the installed apps except Google Maps and AutoStandby.
    After a reboot I had 36094598 bytes of memory.
    I then installed Aerize Loader and I had 35972466 bytes
    Now I copied BBSmart Alarms Pro to the 2Gb media Card and had Aerize install it. This left 33564610 bytes.
    BBSmart Alarms Pro ran fine.
    Next I removed the Media Card and after the reboot, BBSmart Alarms Pro ran fine. It also showed up in the Applications List.
    I uninstalled Aerize Loader via Desktop Manager and ran BBSmart Alarms Pro again. It ran fine and I had 35969310 byes.
    Then I uninstalled BBSmart Alarms Pro and the phone rebooted leaving 35969310 bytes.
    Finally I reinstalled BBSmart Alarms Pro and had 34655146 bytes of memory remaining. This is more than with Aerize and BBSmart
    installed.

This does not seem logical. How can a program that is loaded by another program from the Media Card still work when:
    a). the Media Card storing the program is physically removed?
    b). following that, how can it still work when the loader progam is also removed?
    The only explanation I can currently offer is that BBSmart Alarms Pro was, in fact, loaded into Device Memory. What then does
    Aerize Loader actually do? Does it really save memory at all. I do not know. Until tonight I was about to buy Aerize Loader.
    Now I am not going to.
    You must do your own experiments and draw your own conclusions. I know what I now think of Aerize Loader and it is 180 degrees
    from what I thought this afternoon when I posted my original post.
    I am going to send a link of this thread to Aerize and ask for clarification.

Below is a table of the amount of memory after the various operations for your own analysis.
    PEARL 8100....................................... File Free
    After Reboot...................................... 36094598
    After installing Aerize........................... 35972466
    Loaded BBSmart Alarms Pro via Aerize.............. 33564610
    After reboot, after loading BBSmart Alarms Pro.... 35435610...Media Card removed. BBSmart Alarms Pro still works
    Aerize removed.................................... 35517062...BBSmart Alarms Pro still works
    BBSmart Alarms Pro removed (reboot)............... 35969310
    Installed BBSmart Alarms Pro...................... 34655146
    Last edited by Pete6; 08-12-08 at 03:12 PM.
    08-12-08 03:02 PM
    I have just posted the following message the Support email page on Aerize Premium BlackBerry Software and Themes. I also gave them a real email address for myself.

I await their reply with interest.

The members of the 200,000 CrackBerry community welcome your comments on this thread about Aerize Loader in our forums.
    http://forums.crackberry.com/showthread.php?p=602361#post602361

The confusion seems to stem from how a program loaded from the Media Card via Aerize Loader can still work when the Media Card is removed and Aerize Loader is uninstalled.

I feel that it will be strongly in the interests of your product to explain just what Aerize Loader actually is doing.

I shall publish this message in the forums.

I/We look forward to your comments and replies.

Kind regards
    Pete6
    Last edited by Pete6; 08-12-08 at 03:13 PM.
    08-12-08 03:11 PM
    The reason this works is because Aerize is a scam and your tests totally confirm that!

Aerize only allows a user to install apps from a microSD card. This does not allow you to run them from microSD or save memory. I have felt this way all along, and your extensive testing and wonderful review have only confirmed my doubts!

Thank you for taking all of this time to extensively look into this! Aerize = scam

Once Again : Aerize only loads apps from the microSD onto the device. It does not run apps from the microSD or save any device memory! Myth Busted

Thank you very much Pete. Your solid analysis, unbiased assesment and thorough testing are greatly appreciated. Your troubleshooting and methodical way of going about the debunking of Aerize are impressive and I will use this post as a reference tool for a very long time!

Note : And it is not that Aerize malfunctions or does not do its job... the app just simply does not live up to its expectations (and all of the hype from members who do not fully understand it). There are a number of myths and misconceptions surrounding this application, and these tests really confirm the truth! Aerize does good at installing applications to your device from the microSD card, but that is about the extent of its use! No applications ever run directly from the microSD and no memory is actually saved in the process.
    Last edited by bmcclure937; 08-12-08 at 03:21 PM.
    08-12-08 03:14 PM
    I really hope that this is not going to be Myth Busted although it sure looks that way right now.

I really hope that Aerize respond. My feeling is that if they do not then, we should assume that they have their own reasons and should each draw our own conclusions from their silence.

For me, total silence would equal a product that is potentially a scam and I would never buy or advize to be bought any other Aerize product EVER.

The simple optimist in me hopes that they will come through.
    08-12-08 03:32 PM
    I really hope that this is not going to be Myth Busted although it sure looks that way right now.

I really hope that Aerize respond. My feeling is that if they do not then, we should assume that they have their own reasons and should each draw our own conclusions from their silence.

For me, total silence would equal a product that is potentially a scam and I would never buy or advize to be bought any other Aerize product EVER.

The simple optimist in me hopes that they will come through.
    This has been partially covered before, but when I saw you put together a very intelligent thread covering the topic I knew you would do an outstanding job! Many in the past have found the same thing...

Aerize is a disappointment and basically a scam. I wish it was as good as it sounds, or even half as good! As far as I know, right now there is no application that enabled the BlackBerry to run a third party app from a microSD card!

Only time will tell... that is if they ever respond to you! Most of the time liars do not like confrontation

They basically use a play on words to deceive users of the application. Taken directly from Aerize Card Loader 2008 - Premium BlackBerry Utility Software :

Get the most out of your BlackBerry device by installing limitless applications from removable media cards; the size of your SD Card is all that is left to worry about. This user-friendly app will install and remove applications on your device from any removable media card.
    The only way their "memory saving" would work is if you left all of the .alx and .cod files for your apps on your microSD card and then installed them when needed and uninstalled them when finished using them... pain in the a$$, IMO.
    Last edited by bmcclure937; 08-12-08 at 03:39 PM.
    08-12-08 03:35 PM
    The reason this works is because Aerize is a scam and your tests totally confirm that!

Aerize only allows a user to install apps from a microSD card. This does not allow you to run them from microSD or save memory. I have felt this way all along, and your extensive testing and wonderful review have only confirmed my doubts!

Thank you for taking all of this time to extensively look into this! Aerize = scam

Once Again : Aerize only loads apps from the microSD onto the device. It does not run apps from the microSD or save any device memory! Myth Busted

Thank you very much Pete. Your solid analysis, unbiased assesment and thorough testing are greatly appreciated. Your troubleshooting and methodical way of going about the debunking of Aerize are impressive and I will use this post as a reference tool for a very long time!

Note : And it is not that Aerize malfunctions or does not do its job... the app just simply does not live up to its expectations (and all of the hype from members who do not fully understand it). There are a number of myths and misconceptions surrounding this application, and these tests really confirm the truth! Aerize does good at installing applications to your device from the microSD card, but that is about the extent of its use! No applications ever run directly from the microSD and no memory is actually saved in the process.
    Amongst all the other duties that I have had since I began work was, in the late 1980s to be responsible for evaluating potential software purchases for the use on 15,000 desktop within Digital Equipment Corp. all across Europe. I spent millions of dollars and often had to choose between very sophiisticated products (a multi-dimensional financial modelling tool) that were often very similar.

Let's wait a few days to see what the folks at Aerize have to say.
    08-12-08 03:36 PM

Well, it sounds as if the program does what it was designed to do and functions pretty well. It is or can be a substitute for Desktop Manager It allows you to copy programs to the sd card and then install them easily.

You can then run them like normal from NORMAL MEMORY. You can delete them using the Option/App/Delete function recovering memory

So if you use something infrequently but want it available this would be a way. Place in Aerize, install, use, remove from memory, do other things, three days later reinstall, use and then remove again and not need desktop manager or ota downloads.

I rarely use miniopera but waste space in memory with it always installed. This could help making it more temporary

The main issue I see is that an app's settings might not be persistant and you would always be tweaking options for some apps each time installed/uninstalled

Query: how does it deal with apps that have multiple cod files?

08-12-08 03:57 PM
    Ah ha....well, it sounds like it's the perfect application if you're willing to run apps one by one, deleting them after you're done.

Dm
    08-12-08 03:58 PM
    Well, it sounds as if the program does what it was designed to do and functions pretty well. It is or can be a substitute for Desktop Manager It allows you to copy programs to the sd card and then install them easily.

You can then run them like normal from NORMAL MEMORY. You can delete them using the Option/App/Delete function recovering memory

So if you use something infrequently but want it available this would be a way. Place in Aerize, install, use, remove from memory, do other things, three days later reinstall, use and then remove again and not need desktop manager or ota downloads.

I rarely use miniopera but waste space in memory with it always installed. This could help making it more temporary

The main issue I see is that an app's settings might not be persistant and you would always be tweaking options for some apps each time installed/uninstalled

Query: how does it deal with apps that have multiple cod files?

The issue of settings being lost is a big one!! I see your point, but if you look at Aerize's website they are very deceiving and there are a number of misconceptions going around about this application! I was saying that Pete has done a wonderful job testing and intelligently debunking the process and the myths! Many people have the misunderstanding that this app actually allows programs to be run from the microSD card! That is wrong! And the only memory savings occurs when you install apps when needed and uninstall when not needed. If you look at my fine print (quoted below), I note all of this The app does get its job done, but does not live up to all of the hype people give it... and, on top of that, the website is deceptive!

And I quote Aerize website, as an example of their deceptive descriptions :

Install applications to removable SD Cards, freeing up device memory. Switch applications between the storage card and the device memory easily.
    That is a blatantly misleadign descriptions... as no application is actuall installed directly to the microSD. Applications are installed to the device from the microSD card!

When loading an app with multiple .cods there is no issue... that is the point of .alx files, which are the files used to load apps. Essentially, .alx files are read by DesktopManager (or Aerize) and then point to the correct .cods and load them
    Last edited by bmcclure937; 08-12-08 at 04:12 PM.
    08-12-08 04:01 PM
    Thanks for the review so far. I have been wondering about this program, but haven't had time to test myself yet. Interested to see the response from Aerize.
    08-12-08 07:50 PM
    Pete: I have been traveling all day and unable to follow the thread since early this morning. Thank you for doing the initial work, and for following up on the questions I and others had.

Your results appear conclusive. It will indeed be interesting to hear the vendor's explanation / interpretation.
    08-12-08 10:55 PM
    Myth Busted?

I dont recall, at least right now, that apps were ever to run FROM the card. This app is designed to load onto the device and unload when not needed. The card is just a storage for the app when it's not in use.

I think much of the confusion is coming from people who believe that once you install Aerize, you'll now have the ability for your apps to run from the card.

If the app is on your card, you install it with Aerize Card Loader. When you're done using the app, you UNinstall it with Aerize.

If I've done all my reading correctly, whatever is on the card upon install, installs to device memory. I've used this app and I never thought anything was being running from the actually memory card.

Pete, thats the reason why your apps still ran when you removed the card. They werent running off the card.
    Aerize just makes your card a hard drive, for lack of a better term. You'll always have the app for whenever you need/want it. You dont have to redownload an app should something happen; again, you'll already have it on your card.
    Last edited by ScandaLeX; 08-12-08 at 11:16 PM.
    08-12-08 11:13 PM
66 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD