I noticed a weird icon in the notification area on my 9850, it looked like a five point orange star, almost like the icon for Red Alert PC game, twice as big as the normal red notice asterisk. Poked around my folders until I found a message in Messages:
    "Confirm Call For BlackBerry - Prevent Accidental Call Dialing"
    Opening it takes you to the app in App World. I do not have any other app from the same company: Newgen Graphics

This a normal thing? Anyway to turn it off?

Real odd thing, it was released on 4/28/2012 and there are over 3k positive reviews at 4 1/2 stars????
    Last edited by DaFoxGrey; 06-02-12 at 04:13 PM.
    06-02-12 04:10 PM
    Is that app from Jared Co? Do you have any Jared Co apps?

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express
    DaFoxGrey likes this.
    06-02-12 04:13 PM
    Is that app from Jared Co? Do you have any Jared Co apps?

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express
    Newgen Graphics is the company. I do not have any other app from them. (updated OP)
    06-02-12 04:14 PM
    I've got the same thing! Did you ever figure out how to get rid of it?
    06-07-12 10:48 AM
    I've got the same thing! Did you ever figure out how to get rid of it?
    Sorry, no.
    Anyone else have this or have further insight?
    06-07-12 03:38 PM
    The star in your notification area should correspond to a message in your inbox (messages folder)

The star is letting you know an App World Advertisement has been delivered. Once you delete the advert in your inbox, then the notification should disappear (For those who have opened the message, and the notification has not left, Battery Pull or Soft reset)
    DaFoxGrey likes this.
    06-07-12 04:13 PM
    Thanks Oniberry, but I know that

Was wondering if there is a way to turn off those advertisements from the App World or if that is a "feature" we will have to live with
    06-07-12 06:12 PM
    Some app devs are able to send out automated adverts to users who have either regsitered an app, or installed an app. Like Lak611 posts, JaredCo is a well known culprit. There are others, and these gold stars are a pretty new notification, lots of questions.

App World used to do it with an envelope icon with a small BB symbol in the centre. It's the same thing. I haven't found a way to stop them, I maybe get one or two a year, so it is not really an issue(for me)

I looked for a way to 'opt out' of the spam msgs, but I haven't found a way yet.
    DaFoxGrey likes this.
    06-07-12 06:34 PM
    I'm starting to get these on a regular basis now. I've been a die hard blackberry user for nearly a decade now and I've put up with a lot of "issues" along the way without questioning my mobile device choices, but THIS it the kind of BS that could very well tip the scales in favor of another platform.

Are you listening RIM? This is NOT the time for your company to start pissing off the customer base you still have!
    06-08-12 08:25 PM
    If you can get the developer's name, go to options>device>application management and deny them permissions for connectivity (internet, WiFi, etc.) and user data. This might work.

Now of course, some of these permissions may be essential for the app to work, so you'll have to make that decision and monitor your app's performance. Theoretically, some app could also be sneaky as to ask for a particular permission when it doesn't really need it to work. You'll have to then decide if it's worth it for you to keep this app.

Oh...and if you do manage to get an app to work by denying them the connectivity/personal info permissions, you may get hit with constant permission requests. It's a pain to deny them every time, but that's the price you may have to pay for keeping the app.
    Last edited by raino; 06-09-12 at 12:30 AM.
    06-09-12 12:25 AM
    Just got another spam from App World, this time for "Talk Lock HD Advanced" by Droid Mobile Software.
    I do not have any other app from that company also.

EDIT: Poking around in App World forums I find this:
    Featured app messages - BlackBerry Support Community Forums

Nutshell, message not from App World??

So messages for apps, but not by app makers who I have apps from.
    Last edited by DaFoxGrey; 06-09-12 at 03:52 PM.
    06-09-12 03:34 PM
    Same problem here. In fact that ^ is my thread. My most recent spam messages was for some tarot card thing by SRID games. I have nothing installed by them either. I find myself wondering if somebody is selling details on or hiding things in the fine print. Do any of you have an app by any of the following?:

AppsforBB.Com
    LifeChurch.tv
    PingDev Ltd
    DataViz Inc
    Endomondo
    British Red Cross
    Google
    Motek Americas Inc
    Global Radio
    qbotron
    Kickanotch mobile
    Magmic Games
    OMinor
    MapMyFITNESS
    VMax
    Mobipocket.com
    Greg Zavitz
    Nobex Technologies Inc
    Shazam Entertainment Limited
    Salem Comunications
    Trainline.com Limited
    Webrich Software

...And have you updated anything recently?
    DaFoxGrey likes this.
    06-09-12 04:30 PM
    Motek Americas Inc x2
    Color ID version 2.2.4
    Flashlight 2 in 1 version 1.2

Nobex Technologies Inc x1
    Nobex Radio version 3.3.14

I also have Google Maps installed, version 4.5.3
    06-09-12 05:15 PM
    I have the flashlight and the radio. Same makers, same versions. I don't have Google maps, only a shortcut to Google search and a link to my Gmail account. Anyone else with this problem have either of those apps? I'll be especially annoyed if it's the flashlight since it specifically says "No ads".
    06-09-12 05:38 PM
    And it's the flashlight. I deleted the radio app a few days ago to see if it makes a difference, and it didn't. Sigh.
    06-15-12 06:05 PM
    And it's the flashlight. I deleted the radio app a few days ago to see if it makes a difference, and it didn't. Sigh.
    Well an update to that app just came out, now version 1.2.1.
    That is one of my must have apps, so I'll see if I still get spams.

However, due to this:
    http://support.motekmobile.com/wiki/...lication_do.3F

I kinda doubt they are the one, as the spam shows up in folder: New Apps
    Not in the one they say: Inbox (Flashlight 2 for 1)
    Unless they changed it.... guess should ask
    Last edited by DaFoxGrey; 06-15-12 at 06:52 PM.
    06-15-12 06:38 PM
    Just got a message advertising "StopTilt" and the message appeared in New Apps folder and not in Inbox(Flashlight 2 for 1) folder. Did you get anything, Glaedr?
    06-16-12 09:10 PM
    ive been getting this for a while Its not coming from appworld, as i deleted the app and spam messgaes kept coming in...

either its vendor spam or rim themselves! help!!

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    06-17-12 12:12 PM
    OK, I thought I had my app permissions on lock down and still I got hit by one of these notifications! What gives? Is this RIM's doing, because I don't have any apps from this developer (SRID Games).

"Tools, not toys" my a**

Attachment 112430
    06-19-12 02:46 PM
    Just got another one, even though I had deleted the app that we had thought was the offender.
    06-24-12 08:46 AM
    I finally caught an offender. I got an ad for "Advanced RAM Optimizer" from AppsForBB.com. I went to app management, and noticed the World Clock app by the same dev did have internet and wi-fi permissions set to allow. I locked them down, and sure enough, when I click on the ad, I get an app permissions prompt.

Lesson learnt: be VERY strict with your app permissions, and set them as soon as you download an app.

Attachment 112935
    Attachment 112936
    plh121 likes this.
    06-26-12 01:23 PM
    I finally caught an offender. I got an ad for "Advanced RAM Optimizer" from AppsForBB.com. I went to app management, and noticed the World Clock app by the same dev did have internet and wi-fi permissions set to allow. I locked them down, and sure enough, when I click on the ad, I get an app permissions prompt.

Lesson learnt: be VERY strict with your app permissions, and set them as soon as you download an app.
    I got that spam, also. However I do not have any AppsForBB.com apps.
    I have deleted all my Motek Americas Inc apps, to see if that cures it.
    06-28-12 10:50 AM
    Motek Americas Inc, was the offending app. No more spam sense deleting their apps.
    07-14-12 07:06 PM
    Writing this just in case it helps:

If you have installed an app that collects and sends your email address (a way to contact you) and the list of the apps you have installed (or running from time to time) (shows what you are interested in), then they can send you spam emails (directed spam because they have some idea about what you like).
    It doesn't help if you delete that app if it has already sent your data to a server at some point before.

Without making any statement, but just by guessing, I assume the vendors for the apps you are spamed about are paying the company that sits with your data (email, interest) somehow. Those vendors don't need to have any app on your BB, but might still be able to pay to get your attention (spam you).
    raino likes this.
    07-15-12 10:06 AM
    I noticed this problem a few months back. It's not a huge inconvenience to me, but a bit annoying. Thanks ya'll for the insight. I am guilty of some of the above mentions . Did I mention I'm excited about the roll out of the BB10 with the key board!!!!
    07-15-12 10:28 AM
39 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD