I roam a lot all over the world with my Blackberry on the Rogers network and I primarily use WIFI to connect to BIS service when I roaming to minimize expenses. On my 9700 when I had OS5 I could utilize the App World without issue over WIFI, once I updated to OS6 I get the message "The data service not operational" as soon as I click the App store. I upgraded to a 9800 and I still get the same message, can the App Store only be accessed from 3G in OS6?
    03-18-11 05:44 PM
    As far as I'm aware, App World has never been available over WiFi.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-18-11 05:58 PM
    As far as I'm aware, App World has never been available over WiFi.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Not sure about that one check out this excerpt from an App World Press Release

"BlackBerry App World can then be conveniently accessed over both Wi-Fi® and mobile phone networks and will automatically present users with the relevant catalog of applications available for their specific BlackBerry smartphone model."
    03-19-11 06:52 AM
    For those of you having similar issues I found the issue please check out Blackberry KB23854

Quoting from the KB:

The BlackBerry App World application is designed to use a number of available transports to deliver applications to a BlackBerry smartphone. This article identifies the data transports that can be used and the priority in which they are selected.

BlackBerry App World 1.0.0.35 uses the following transports based on availability and are numbered by preference:

Direct Wi-Fi (no virtual private network [VPN])
    BlackBerry® Internet Service
    BlackBerry® Enterprise Server
    Wireless Application Protocol (WAP) 2
    Default WAP 1.x

Note: BlackBerry App World can use the WAP transports. These could incur extra network charges. Please consult with your wireless service provider for information regarding these charges.

In BlackBerry App World™ 2.0.1.12, an active Mobile Data Network is required to access the application for the reason that BlackBerry App World will need the mobile country codes (MCC) to function on the wireless service provider's network. A Wi-Fi only network does not supply the MCC information. This is an expected behavior.

The important part is BOLD
    03-21-11 09:45 AM
    is it possible to downgrade to an older version of App World? iirc my phone pretty much DEMANDED to have the upgrade downloaded and installed before it would even connect period
    09-03-11 04:37 PM
    In BlackBerry App World™ 2.0.1.12, an active Mobile Data Network is required to access the application for the reason that BlackBerry App World will need the mobile country codes (MCC) to function on the wireless service provider's network. A Wi-Fi only network does not supply the MCC information. This is an expected behavior.

The important part is BOLD
    Did I get this correct: while roaming and having the data traffic turned off, one cannot access App World. If, on the other hand, one need to access App world while roaming, the data network needs to be enabled. Does this mean that only the MCC will be sent via the mobile network while browsing of the App world and download will take place over WiFi? Or will App world just run on mobile network only?

Btw: why would RIM do this? It does not make any sense in terms of helping users to save costs and be effective...
    02-06-12 10:28 AM
    Regarding my post above: are there any views on how the access to appworld would work with respect to WiFi vs. mobile network?
    04-05-12 10:39 AM
    This thread was started over a year ago.
    The current v3 build of AppWorld supports WiFi only.
    It has supported WiFi only since last December.

WiFi Only Support - will allow App World to still operate when a you only have a WiFi connection
    http://crackberry.com/blackberry-app...-now-available

04-05-12 03:42 PM
    I missed out this. Thanks for sharing. have now upgraded and the new app world is working perfectly over wifi.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk
    04-05-12 08:06 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD