I read the threads on recommended Apps for 9780. Most of those Apps are great, but, I think it will be useful to have a thread on absolutely indispensible apps for productivity.

For example, MeterBerry is great, but it is not essential. You can get the battery info from your BB device, you can simulate the battery pull by alt+right_shift+del etc. True that you don't get the battery discharge rate, but that info is not essential to most of us. We can also free-up memory by rebooting the device. So, no need for an app. Similarly, I don't see anything absolutely essential in QuickLaunch (QL). It is a great app which saves lots of time, but not essential. So here is a set of apps I find (and like) that are indispendible, that is, they do jobs that cannot be done without these apps (or similar apps).

1. BerryWeather.

(comment: I think the free version available in BB App World is just as good, and perhaps light on the memory so perhaps even better).

2. Blackberry Travel.

(its free in BB App World with real time airlines info, WorldMate's BB version but free - get it while its free, WorldMate was $99 when I checked last time).

3. TuneIn Radio.

4. Bloomberg.

5. BeBuzz.

6. Call Bloker Light.

7. Backlight ON.

(not free, but adds a menu item to turn on the backlight as long as you like, say for viewing Maps. Don't know why you guys never talk about this -- it should be a top must have app).

8. BankArama.

(Outstanding checkbook app, but unfortunately no longer available for Blackberry but iPhone, I have an old .jad file for Symbian S60 that works in 9780).

OK, what else? Google Map and SBSH Calendar have additional feathers. We need the full version of Doc to Go as well. But what other Apps are indispensible?

Thanks,
    Tintin
    03-21-11 01:01 AM
    Right....so Meter Berry which is an essential tool for monitoring your battery discharge rate and comes in really handy when you install a new OS or many other things like monitoring different battery discharge rates depending on your area due to signal strength and its impact on batter....Mater Berry is not essential, but Bloomberg is?? heh....

Bank Arama? What's that?

Backlight ON is an essential app? Please...

QuickLaunch not essential? I dont think there is anything really essential as a BB will work without any extra software, but there are apps that are suited towards an individual, based on his needs.

I for example will never use any banking app on a phone, but you might need it. I dont need any app to control my lighting, you might, so essential is really based on one's own opinion and needs.

QuickLaunch is not essential, but it is a big time saver for launching apps and having the auto fill feature is a big time saver? is it essential? but I have to install it!
    03-21-11 01:22 AM
    The definition of "indispensable" is going to be subjective. What one user cannot live without is going to be a complete waste for another user. It all depends on the individual user and his particular needs.
    03-21-11 01:23 AM
    Couple nit-pics: BerryWeather and BeWeather are the same app; AppWorld does not allow any app with the word "berry" in so BerryWeather got a rename. Also in that same paragraph you give the impression that memory might be a concern, so why not use the Stay-Lit functionality built in to QuickLaunch (which actually is an award-winning productivity app btw)?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-21-11 03:56 AM
    By the OP's definition of indispensable, I can see how he picked out the apps that he picked. However, I think the OP's definition is flawed from the standpoint that there are many apps out there that enable your Blackberry to do things that it couldn't otherwise do, but few that do a function that I would consider necessary. Games are a good example. By the OP's definition of indispensable, most games would be considered such. However, may games are either not my taste, boring, or poorly coded. I agree with Lak, indispensable depends on the user's own experience, values, preferences, etc.
    03-21-11 09:28 AM
    Right....so Meter Berry which is an essential tool for monitoring your battery discharge rate and comes in really handy when you install a new OS or many other things like monitoring different battery discharge rates depending on your area due to signal strength and its impact on batter....Mater Berry is not essential, but Bloomberg is?? heh....

Bank Arama? What's that?

Backlight ON is an essential app? Please...

QuickLaunch not essential? I dont think there is anything really essential as a BB will work without any extra software, but there are apps that are suited towards an individual, based on his needs.

I for example will never use any banking app on a phone, but you might need it. I dont need any app to control my lighting, you might, so essential is really based on one's own opinion and needs.

QuickLaunch is not essential, but it is a big time saver for launching apps and having the auto fill feature is a big time saver? is it essential? but I have to install it!
    ML: I agree with you on many ways. But I am trying to keep my phone as clean as possible. More apps you load, more slow the phone gets, and monitoring apps like MeterBerry drwas on the battery. I am trying to make a list of indispensible apps doing jobs that cannot be accomplished by other means.

BankArama is an outstanding Checkbook app. It is a Java app, now only available for iPhone. I have the .jad version for Symbian S60 3rd Ed and it works flawlessly in 9780. They don't make it for BB or any other phone except iPhone.

So, what are your essentials. Keep up the great posts.

Thanks,
    Tintin
    03-21-11 11:38 PM
    Couple nit-pics: BerryWeather and BeWeather are the same app; AppWorld does not allow any app with the word "berry" in so BerryWeather got a rename. Also in that same paragraph you give the impression that memory might be a concern, so why not use the Stay-Lit functionality built in to QuickLaunch (which actually is an award-winning productivity app btw)?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Great point. Forgor about Stay-Lit feather of QL. Thanks.

Tintin
    03-21-11 11:39 PM
    TBH, i'd just search here "top apps", "must have", etc, and you'll get your list.
    tintin123456 likes this.
    03-22-11 12:22 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD