In thinking that this just looks like a very useful phone?

The extra (some call it wasted) space beneath the space bar looks to me like the phone would be very comfortable to hold for extended periods for typing long messages, or watching films on planes and so on.

Two screens - one of them a touch screen, nice big track pad, it looks really easy to navigate.

And then the clamshell protection, protecting the innards and keyboard from sand and all sorts of other things.

I've never been one for buying a phone to describe me as a person or as a fashion accessory, but I get the feeling this sturdy looking device would be a good round the world travelling companion for blogging, messaging and internet browsing.

The looks don't bother me so much, I'm sure no one important's gonna judge you on your phone, correct? It has a utilitarian look to it that I quite like!

Who else is considering getting a hold of one of these 9670s when they become available? Looks like it does everything a BB should, the keyboard looks bigger, it looks easier to hold, rugged, and the OS6 media player looks pretty sweet too.
    06-09-10 05:06 PM
    Yep, you're alone on this....
    06-09-10 05:14 PM
    Oh well I might have known you'd be along poking your little pink tongue out!

I guess that's the definition of eccentric then, when you believe that you're right and everyone else is crazy...probably applies to you though as much as me, lulz.
    06-09-10 05:21 PM
    No, you are not alone. I've been researching for a while (waiting for my contract to run out) and this phone actually temps me...for all the reasons you said. Seems like it could be a good fit for people who tend to be rough on their phones. No big exposed screen to worry about breaking, full good sized keyboard. All in all I liked it more than I thought I would. This is coming from someone who has never owned a BB mind you. Hoping to change that later this summer when my ATT contract runs out.

When its all said it done I will probably end up with a Curve..but this one will get some thought..
    06-09-10 05:52 PM
    I want this badboy soooooooo bad!
    06-09-10 06:14 PM
    o know civic doesn't approve!
    06-09-10 06:18 PM
    I think Civic is just a bot or someone working for RIM to galvanise support for their products (I can't believe anyone could be that lonely/bored/free from alternatives to have spent so much of their free time pouncing on threads and singing the same sad song), she/it certainly does a good job.

I've got the Curve 8310 at the moment, and it's proving to be a tough phone that's excelled where iPhones, Nokias and Droids have failed - such as in very remote / 3rd world countries where signal is hard to come by.

For one thing, the Curve held up better to the rough treatment, and more importantly it was able to deliver emails and data with the most meagre of signals where the other phones were good for feck all basically. I dealt with all my emails over two weeks whilst my cohorts couldn't read one of theirs. That to me spelled out exactly why I need a BB. I can't explain why it works like that, but it just did.

But this flip phone, if it's tough like the Curve, bigger keyboard, good screens, no way could I consider a touch screen for my type of work. Be interesting to see if Otterbox manage to come out with a case for it.

I'd also like to know what the external touch screen is like; I want to invest in some waterproof casings and headphones and mics so I can take calls whilst I am on the water. If I can email from the water too, I'm set - the office chair becomes a surfboard!

I think I also like the controversy of owning this device, it's rapidly becoming the manifestation of the spawn of satan in the phone world and I quite like that.
    06-09-10 06:31 PM
    How about pricing? For some reason I feel that this phone would be on the lower end of the pricing chain. I have no basis for that..just a thought. But then again being one of the first to run OS6..eh..who knows.
    06-09-10 06:37 PM
    If it's at the lower end, like an entry level product then I'm even more stoked, a straight forward upgrade from my old Curve would be great.

I just hope it's as tough, kind of looks that way from the videos.

I think it's easy to forget for some people on sites such as these, that the rest of the world don't really care about phones. They're all gearing up for the world cup. A mate of mine, typical of this situation, ditched his HTC in favour of the old indestructible numeric keyboard Nokia.

"Too bloody difficult to make a phone call or send a text" he said. Yes the internet was a nice bonus, but as a carpenter not really required. It's easy to forget all the people that are busy enough with their lives; they work hard, go home, go to the pub, the last thing they need is to bugger about with an app that tells them how much to tip a waitress. They probably know the waitress and chef anyway.

I wasn't even aware till I started reading the comments about the 9670 that clamshell or flip phones were considered old hat. I can just see my carpenter mate taking a look at the 9670 and seeing the basic BB functionality and ease of just making calls, banging out texts, and what's this? Updating Facebook? And just thinking 'That's all the phone I need'.

A lot of people in the world still think obsessing over processors and internal gubbins is a bit tragic. An old workhorse like the 9670 could meet a lot of these people in the middle, especially if the price is right.
    06-09-10 06:47 PM
    I want this phone also, rim release it!
    06-09-10 07:37 PM
    I was holding out for VZW to release the 9650, but I saw this and I decided that I would hold out for this one now. I love the flip design, and it is good to see more of it, the more I see it the more I like it!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-09-10 08:10 PM
    dodger_moore, I'm with you on this on, I love the full qwerty clamshell concept, but I didn't hold out and bought a 9650 last month (nice!). It was sounding like it was going to be a Verizon exclusive, but the last video proved that wrong.
    06-09-10 09:22 PM
    I think Civic is just a bot or someone working for RIM to galvanise support for their products.

Negative... I am a meat popsicle.
    06-09-10 11:29 PM
    I just viewed the videos on my Tour. I couldn't see the keyboard too well. Is it like the Curve keyboard as opposed to the Tour keyboard? I know I'm in the minority but I much prefer the Curve style kb.

06-10-10 12:04 AM
    Your not alone, I love the looks of this phone! I wish big red would get it as I have 22 months left on my Verizon contract. I'd even be willing to pay full price for it, without any subsidy. I just like its total design.

06-10-10 12:32 AM
    I actually kind of like it. I'm sick of having the screen on my Storm look like I just wiped my......armpits with it. I hesitate just to drop it into a pocket cause my pockets always seem to be filled with other junk. And I've got really big hands and the extra space might make a more fumble free hold.
    06-10-10 02:08 AM
    I'm definitely considering getting this phone.

Looking to upgrade my Curve 8330 has not been an easy task, considering I'm not very impressed with what VZW has had to offer recently. I may go another way, but I am strongly considering this device.

I'm interested in the 9670 because of it having the full QWERTY keyboard and the fact that my screen will always be protected considering the clamshell design.

Now what would really help seal the deal is if they made the phone available in a bunch of preeeeetty colors........hee hee
    06-10-10 08:26 AM
    no their not, i am interested in this phone my self. if it were out now and i had a choice between the flip and the bold i would have picked the flip.
    06-10-10 10:49 AM
    I want one. I love the idea of the clam shell to protect it. I train/show dogs, so would love something that I won't have to worry about damaging. I can always order a Skinit and make it look better. Hope it's released soon.

The big test will be the phone reception. I have the Storm and love it; but the reception in my house is enough to make me switch. Get great reception everywhere else...go figure!!
    06-10-10 11:10 AM
    Dont like it...not one bit...
    06-13-10 12:41 AM
    Its ok but I much prefer the Bold 9800 "slider"!

06-13-10 01:07 AM
    I hate to say it, but this one is growing on me as well. May consider it after its official release by Big Red later this year as a 2nd phone vs getting the Droid Incredible.

06-13-10 04:11 PM
    Has a release date/month been set yet?
    06-14-10 06:57 PM
    If it were on at&t I would get it.
    06-14-10 09:25 PM
    If it were on at&t I would get it.
    You get a Slider and I'll get a Clam and we can trade!
    06-14-10 10:09 PM
79 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD