(cliffs notes at the beginning so you don't have to read if you don't want)
    I am trying to figure out if I need to just give in and get a new phone or not, any other 8330m users having problems with the newer versions of Pandora?

(the story behind my question)
    I have had nothing but problems with Pandora since the new release. (1.0.3 worked flawless) The first release would only play this incredibly obnoxious sound.(linked here if you want to hear it)
    http://passtheax.com/8330noise.wav
    The sound remained the same no matter if at full volume or muted.

Working with Marc from Pandora we did everything to try to troubleshoot. He even sent me a sound file in the same format Pandora now uses and it did the same thing when played through the BB media player. Slacker uses this same format and works fine.

(after I installed the .160 OS, I noticed the newest Pandora release came out)
    It wasn't noted to fix my issue but though heck maybe. Now it randomly works fine, but then just stops playing and the songs cuts in and out, almost like a regular radio station with bad reception and sometimes it's worse where there will be only silence or a very low hiss. A battery pull usually clears it up.

Now I do not mind replacing my phone, but with the only issue I being with Pandora, I am having a hard time grasping it's the phone.
    08-02-09 02:32 PM
    I'm an avid Pandora user and I've never heard that noise before.
    08-02-09 03:19 PM
    (after I installed the .160 OS, I noticed the newest Pandora release came out)

You install the wrong os onto your phone and you are surprise that the phone does not work? Really? Huh.

I would, at least, say that you need to get the latest 8330m OS, notice the m, and install it on your m phone. That would be the 4.5.0.138. But just to make sure that it does work, I would install sprints 4.5.0.131.

I am really shocked that .160 os even works with your phone, given it is a esn and not a meid os.

You can not blame sprint or pandora for you forcing the wrong os on the phone.

https://www.blackberry.com/Downloads...BB765225CE8C0E
    Never had a problem with pandora, 196 kps audio. You should install the correct os and try again.
    08-02-09 03:36 PM
    You install the wrong os onto your phone and you are surprise that the phone does not work? Really? Huh.

I would, at least, say that you need to get the latest 8330m OS, notice the m, and install it on your m phone. That would be the 4.5.0.138. But just to make sure that it does work, I would install sprints 4.5.0.131.

I am really shocked that .160 os even works with your phone, given it is a esn and not a meid os.

You can not blame sprint or pandora for you forcing the wrong os on the phone.

https://www.blackberry.com/Downloads...BB765225CE8C0E
    Never had a problem with pandora, 196 kps audio. You should install the correct os and try again.
    For your information .160 has been out for M phones for about a week now from Alltel.

https://www.blackberry.com/Downloads...03923A1C591DB4
    08-02-09 06:58 PM
    For your information .160 has been out for M phones for about a week now from Alltel.

https://www.blackberry.com/Downloads...03923A1C591DB4
    so, that is not the latest supported version by sprint. It could just be that sprint does not use the same hardware then alltel.

version .131 works fine with pandora.
    08-04-09 12:09 AM
    Jim,

I wish I could give you a magic fix, but all I can tell you is that on my Sprint 8330m running Alltel's 8330m .160, I don't get that awful distortion you're getting. I went to Pandora just a few minutes ago and downloaded 1.1.1 for my phone. So far, so good. Whatever your issue is, I hate to say it could have nothing to do with using Alltel's .160 on your Sprint 8330m, because at this moment, all's well with mine...

...sorry I can't be more help than to say that with a setup identical to yours, all is well with mine....
    08-04-09 12:29 AM
    so, that is not the latest supported version by sprint. It could just be that sprint does not use the same hardware then alltel.

version .131 works fine with pandora.
    The OS files, as stated in the sticky threads for the various 83XX models, can be install on ANY 83XX from ANY CARRIER. As long as he installed the 8330m .160 file, there is no conflict with the OS and carried. I'm currently using .160 and I own a Sprint 8330m.

The only thing that markes .160 OS is a Alltel vendor.xml file, which once deleted, can allow the OS install to any 8330m.

I just updated Pandora 1.1.1 and don't have a weird noise nor do I have the song cutting in and out.
    08-04-09 01:02 AM
    The above post are true. See, most phones can have different hardware between production runs. Each production run will have different hardware. Why? Because each run replaces hardware that is too buggy or expensive. Now, sprint of course would know which hardware would be in which phone, so they would produce an os that would work with the hardware. But alltel could care less which hardware is in sprint phones, so they would not support the hardware.

See the picture. Even though 90% of the users would have no problem. The remaining 10% would. Just because the 90% has the new batch and the 10% has the old batch, or the other way around.

The first way to solve the problem is to install sprints os back onto your phone. And install pandora. If it does not work, then you know it is hardware related. If it does work, then you know it is software.

My god this is not hard.
    08-04-09 03:51 PM
    The above post are true. See, most phones can have different hardware between production runs. Each production run will have different hardware. Why? Because each run replaces hardware that is too buggy or expensive. Now, sprint of course would know which hardware would be in which phone, so they would produce an os that would work with the hardware. But alltel could care less which hardware is in sprint phones, so they would not support the hardware.

See the picture. Even though 90% of the users would have no problem. The remaining 10% would. Just because the 90% has the new batch and the 10% has the old batch, or the other way around.

The first way to solve the problem is to install sprints os back onto your phone. And install pandora. If it does not work, then you know it is hardware related. If it does work, then you know it is software.

My god this is not hard.

so, using your post as the gospel truth, the two posters above you must have phones from a different production run, and thats why they have no problems with Pandora? BS! no matter what hardware is installed on different runs, said hardware would all meet the same spec, or it would be rejected. an 8330m is an 8330m is an 8330m. most likely excuse for the OP's problem is compatibility with other software on his phone that differs from the other posters. I went through the same thing. installed .160 and ran great, but wouldnt load BB Weather no matter what I did. while others had no problems at all. so youre telling me my problem was hardware related also? BS!
    08-04-09 04:15 PM
    so, using your post as the gospel truth, the two posters above you must have phones from a different production run, and thats why they have no problems with Pandora? BS! no matter what hardware is installed on different runs, said hardware would all meet the same spec, or it would be rejected. an 8330m is an 8330m is an 8330m. most likely excuse for the OP's problem is compatibility with other software on his phone that differs from the other posters. I went through the same thing. installed .160 and ran great, but wouldnt load BB Weather no matter what I did. while others had no problems at all. so youre telling me my problem was hardware related also? BS!
    No, I was saying that it is either hardware or software.

If it is hardware, then switching back to 131, the issue will remain.

If it is software, then switching back to 131 will not help.

Course of action is different depending if it is hardware or software. If it is hardware then you need to have phone serviced. If it is software, then you need to report the problem, so it can be patch.

You have to understand. The "BS", as you put it, here is, you can not software patch a hardware issue. And you can not fix hardware, to solve a software issue.

You must trouble shoot the issue. So far the op says that 160 and pandora do not play well. I said, install the orginal os and find out if it is a hardware or software issue.

You came in like trailer trash, cursing and insulting, just to find out that you mis read what I typed.

You must find out if it is hardware or software.

Oh, forgot.

Hardware must meet the specs of the carrier, not rim. It is the carrier that decides which hardware spec go into which phones. Sprint ok the hardware. Not RIM. Alltel oks the hardware not rim. If alltel and sprint do not ok the same hardware there could be issues.

We also have to remember the alltel and verizion forbid the use of pandora on their phones.
    Last edited by thedarkfinder; 08-04-09 at 05:11 PM.
    08-04-09 05:08 PM
    My 8830 is kicking out the beats!
    08-04-09 05:25 PM
    carriers make suggestions of what they'd like to see. sure. RIM makes whats profitable to them. RIM isnt going to profit from making different 8330m's for different carriers. thats a fact. I understand completely how to troubleshoot. no need to fill me in with your greatness. and I didnt misread what you said. your "different runs, different hardware" comment was very clear. as I said before, doesnt matter, meets spec. an 8330m is an 8330m, doesnt matter the carrier. its a software issue period.
    08-04-09 05:27 PM
    its a software issue period.
    If it was a software issue, then either reinstalling it would fix it. Or everyone would have the same problem. It seems that most people do not have the same problem. And it seems that only he has the problem.

So it must be hardware. To trouble shoot hardware you must fall back to a standard tested software, 131.
    08-04-09 05:30 PM
    not necessarily. what other software is he running? do you know that? do you know what the others are running? reinstalling alone might not fix it if there is compatibility issues with other software. going back to .131 wont change the fact that he may have different software that may cause a conflict on .160.
    08-04-09 05:39 PM
    We also have to remember the alltel and verizion forbid the use of pandora on their phones.
    Is this true? I have pandora on my verizon blackberry. It works but it will not allow me trust the certificate due to "IT policy restrictions." Is there anyway around this?

The blackberry is mine and I didn't get it through work so I don't think there actually is an IT policy on it. I have installed other apps with no problems.

Thanks
    08-06-09 10:08 PM
    Is this true? I have pandora on my verizon blackberry. It works but it will not allow me trust the certificate due to "IT policy restrictions." Is there anyway around this?

The blackberry is mine and I didn't get it through work so I don't think there actually is an IT policy on it. I have installed other apps with no problems.

Thanks
    I know VZW used to forbid streaming apps on their phones and network, but seeing as they've been pushing out Slacker to new phones such as the Storm and Tour, their policy seems to be a lot more lax on that now. I can't picture a cellphone carrier in this day and age coming after you for using a streaming app that only uses 64kbit/sec of streaming bandwidth. (except for AT&T, especially if you wind up using roaming data LOL )
    08-07-09 02:24 AM
    All I know is that Pandora has a new update! It works perfect now!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-07-09 03:51 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD