Has anyone managed to get the GPS working in Blackberry Maps or Windows Live Search? I have both apps installed and neither is getting GPS coordinates. I'm having the same problem with Blackberry Maps. In the menu, OPTIONS->ADVANCED OPTIONS->GPS, I set the GPS Services option to LOCATION ON, but it seems like VZ Navigator is the only app that can get the coordinates from the Blackberry.

Does anyone have a solution?

Tom
    11-10-07 09:20 AM
    You will not be able to use those apps with the gps. When verizon made vznav available they made sure that this will be be the only gps option for the device. Kinda makes sense when you think about it, why allow someone to do it for free when you can charge them $10 a month for it.

I am a former employee of verizon and can tell you that this is always a topic when ever a new product or service is to be released. If they can charge you for it they will.
    11-10-07 10:14 AM
    I have a bluetooth GPS puck (antenna) that i used with my old PocketPC. The BB 8130 picked it up with no problem and them i turned on "GPS Navigation" in the maps program and it pinpointed my exact location. It also does speed while driving. I have not tried to plan a route yet, but need something to do this week...we will see.
    11-11-07 11:42 PM
    which puck do you have and how much?
    11-13-07 09:39 PM
    so is this correct...? my 8130 has a GPS receiver but it is disabled and will only work if I subscribe to VZnav. And if I want to use any other GPS apps I would have to buy an additional GPS receiver (like the Puck @ around 100 bucks)

that's a stinker if that's true.
    11-15-07 09:30 AM
    so is this correct...? my 8130 has a GPS receiver but it is disabled and will only work if I subscribe to VZnav. And if I want to use any other GPS apps I would have to buy an additional GPS receiver (like the Puck @ around 100 bucks)

that's a stinker if that's true.
    Welcome to the wonderful world of VZW (I jumped for the 8310 and ATT obviously). They have castrated GPS on all their BB's to date so you knew that they'd find a way to force you into VZ Nav rather than freeware. Personally, I've been thrilled with ATT so far and was VERY nervous moving over to them due to loads of horror stories. My ONLY gripe so far is that ATT will not cover iPhones or BB under handset insurance due to the high device replacement cost (but at least they're very clear about that up front).
    11-15-07 01:20 PM
    ya, i almost switched to att, just was too concerned with their coverage vs verizon's in my area...so for that reason i guess i will deal with their money squeezing tactics...
    11-16-07 02:13 PM
    Sooo it works on Google Maps, but not Live Maps...
    12-07-07 08:07 PM
    you can use any GPS app on a bb as long as you subscribe to VZNAV, just minimize it then open the other apps. It works. sucks your still paying ten for it.....
    12-07-07 09:07 PM
    Options, Advanced Options, GPS, GPS Services, Location On

Live Search GPS should now work.
    06-03-08 08:48 PM
    Location on us only for 911 services. It will broadcast your location if your phone calls 911 and they have the equipment to detect it. It is a fairly new feature to the 911 system, so not many cities/counties have the ability to use it yet.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-03-08 09:11 PM
    I've seen some GPS receivers on eBay for around $40 or $50. I paid about $58 for mine (after rebates).
    06-04-08 12:26 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD