So I upgraded to a Torch. I was excited with the 512 MB of memory and BlackBerry6. Recently I upgraded to .337 and began to reinstall all my apps including some new ones that I wanted to try . . . On a particular install my BlackBerry automatically reset and then reset again

Figuring it was the application I decided to wipe the device and start fresh again . . . But it did it again this time with a different application.

So thinking I found an error with .337, I downloaded back to .246. This time I paid particular attention the number of apps I was putting on the phone. So I put all my apps that I like from App World back on for a total of 64.

From there I loaded the CrackBerry App Store and then the error appeared "Error starting Superstore: non-persistable class indices exhausted". My remaining app memory according to BlackBerry App World is 246 MB and while I can install apps, I just can't run them . . .

To say I am disappointed would be an understatement especially if RIM has a cap of some sort on the number of applications that can be installed and run.

Anyone else have any ideas or experience with this problem?
    12-15-10 06:19 PM
    If apps are what you are most interested in (64?) I would suggest getting an iPhone or Android.
    12-15-10 06:44 PM
    If apps are what you are most interested in (64?) I would suggest getting an iPhone or Android.
    How many times have you seen people posting about BlackBerry not having any apps that the iPhone has or Android . . . And your response is if you want apps go get one of those phones completely misses the point of the post.
    12-15-10 06:48 PM
    My only thought would be to ask if you were sure that all the apps were 6.0 compatible?

And ya ignore tgeekb because 64 apps isn't the cause of this. I think I have close to 50 and mine runs fine and I only have 256MB starting.
    12-15-10 07:05 PM
    My only thought would be to ask if you were sure that all the apps were 6.0 compatible?

And ya ignore tgeekb because 64 apps isn't the cause of this. I think I have close to 50 and mine runs fine and I only have 256MB starting.
    I agree with this. Especially if at one point something was causing continual restarts. That sounds more like a buggy app then any sort of cap on applications.
    12-15-10 07:34 PM
    I've had 80+apps installed, I agree its an incompatible app. Did you try removing media card. Mayb a corrupt file an app is trying to access?

Example Quickpull 5 corrupted my media card, trying to write a log during/before boot before the card was recognized

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-15-10 07:42 PM
    Could even be an issue with the phone itself... could be a flash memory failure that'll only get worse.
    12-15-10 09:03 PM
    I agree with the app theory. I used to use viigo all the time but when I upgraded the the leaked 6.333 it screwed everything up and wouldn't run.
    12-15-10 09:17 PM
    I been plaqued with this problem from the start! If its not 50 or so apps, its at 180ish mb that I get this crash or loop reboot! No ones been able to help after a ton of threads I started on the subject. I'm glad to find someone finally writing about the same experience I been struggling with for more than 6 months!
    05-16-11 02:53 AM
    it cant be a bad app... it has to be linked to either the memory or the amount of apps installed. I have wiped my phone about 50+ times trying to figure out the cause of this! I'm glad to see people finally getting the same problem as well. Maybe we'll find out whats truly going on here soon
    05-16-11 02:55 AM
    I've been down to ~150mb free of application storage and haven't experienced any of these issues... Please enable the engineering screen and check the running processes. It will give you a clearer view of whats actually running and hogging up in the background. Its not about whats installed on the device, its about the objects running in the background (not the application switcher btw).
    05-16-11 03:25 AM
    i dont think its the memory itself. It seems to be an app limit. Cuz if I leave a new Bold with 190m file free after app downloads, it'll naturally drop memory after weeks of usage and nothing happens and I get no errors. ut as soon as I get to about 60 or so, thats when the problem starts.
    05-16-11 03:29 AM
    i dont think its the memory itself. It seems to be an app limit. Cuz if I leave a new Bold with 190m file free after app downloads, it'll naturally drop memory after weeks of usage and nothing happens and I get no errors. ut as soon as I get to about 60 or so, thats when the problem starts.
    There is no application limit. For example, applications that dont run in the background, do not hog the RAM, lets say for example, games, some utilities like calculators, these do not run in the background, therefore they dont consume the object limit of the RAM. However, applications like lets say, everylock, meterberry, patternlock, sixtools, are always running in the background, meaning in the RAM. These are the applications you have to worry about and control their number. There are two different things, application storage and RAM, both act differently and only one affects the performance of the OS, that is, those that occupy RAM, or "objects" in memory, that... the OS has a limit for. Unless of course, the application starts messing with the persistent store and over consuming it or so, but it would have to be a trash app made with crappy programming skills. Because til this day, i havent had that problem, at least not after the curve 8300 series.

I've had more than 130 applications installed on the device without problem, it was only a few of them that were actually running in the background all the time.
    Last edited by gbsn; 05-16-11 at 04:04 AM.
    05-16-11 03:33 AM
    I know what you mean, but I think there is a limit in terms of downloads. I wiped my phone 50 times and its the exact same thing that happens. Once I load all 50 to 60 apps back up, usually the next app fails to open. I tried deleting a few to see what would happen. After I did, the one that gave me an error, suddenly worked like a charm. So I dont think its RAM related in terms of "open apps." I think its something in the OS that restricts the amount of apps you can download. Either that or theres a rouge app that is restricting how many apps are on the phone... and I highly doubt that an app can do that on its own

Last edited by RicanMedic78; 05-16-11 at 04:11 AM.
    05-16-11 04:04 AM
    How are you restoring the applications? I haven't experienced that either, its kinda weird, because i have restored more applications from backups made with DM and BBSAK and no such problem has popped up. There has to be an application thats doing something.

After you restore the 60, do you reset the device?

Its really weird, i mean, its not a usual behavior :[
    Last edited by gbsn; 05-16-11 at 04:14 AM.
    05-16-11 04:10 AM
    I restore it downloading them 1 by 1 using both mobihands appstore and appworld accounts. I have about 70 apps listed in appworld and about 10 to 15 in my mobihand account on CB and if I try to download all or most of the apps, particularly the paid apps, I will eventually get a fail for 1 that results in a fail for all apps after that. In some cases I'll even get a reboot loop that requires another wipe of the device and a reinstall of the OS.
    05-16-11 04:16 AM
    and this happens like clockwork every time! And usually I get to 180ish MB file free when it happens. BUT.... if I keep it at 190ish and let it drop on its own, I wont see any error, even if it drops down to 150mb from usage. So it seems to be related to the download of apps in particular! And this is my 2nd bold that is doing this... my gut tells me this is something that will eventually hapen to everyone as they start to become more apphungry and try to utilize the entire 512mb of RAM.

I was on the phone with RIM for hours trying to solve this issue and they thought that maybe my Bold had a hidden IT policy from a BES account that was never truly wiped clean. We ruled that out once we saw the log files bbut we wiped the entire phone anyway to remove any existig policies that may have lingered. But remember, it was 2 Bolds that did this... not 1. So at the end of th day, the RIM tech was lost and did not know why I was reaching a sort of soft limit to the apps I could have on my device
    Last edited by RicanMedic78; 05-16-11 at 04:23 AM.
    05-16-11 04:19 AM
    The Tour had a similar problem when it was running 4.7. You could load a certain number of apps into the app space, but if you loaded another app, the device would get the dreaded 522 error.

When the Tour got 5.0, the problem when away. Hopefully, it is something that a software update can resolve on the Torch ad well.
    05-16-11 06:49 AM
    What OS version is the OP using? Problem is, i have loaded more apps on the 9800 and 9780 than him without problem since early 6.2XX builds and on the bold 9700 with OS5 when i still had it, the only problem i had was when i installed fontcollection, it literally chewed the OS and didnt want to launch another app on the torch, but it wasnt that "non-persistable class indices exhausted" error, since that day, i havent tried to install it anymore.

I would say, try installing applications that are not system related first, then those that change system stuff (adding menu options, etc). I really wish that such error would pop up on my devices :[
    05-16-11 12:57 PM
    I have the same problem with my 9650. When I'm running OS 6.0 it crashes whenever the app memory gets in the 175-180MB range. When running 5.0 it crashes when I install 60+ apps, even when there's 240MB of memory left. I've been through Verizon and RIM's tech support without getting a solution. I finally exchanged my device for a replacement and it does the exact same thing.
    05-16-11 07:19 PM
    We been thru the EXACT same thing! Very frustrating! I wonder if verizon is putting in some sort of secret app limit... Hmmmmm

05-17-11 04:35 AM
    Been lurking in this thread from the begining. You are not alone, and it is not just Verizon or the 9650. I actually stayed on the phone with Magenta for 3 hours and followed all of their instructions to no avail. I only went through the process so I could be transfered to RIM for free, where they found that error to be related to too many applications being indexed on the device to function properly, and was told to delete some applications. I have quite a few apps, but not enough to cause an error like this. It happens like clockwork for me too when I hit that certain memory/app threshold. Very frustrating.
    05-17-11 07:23 AM
    I'm glad to see it isn't just me! My wife was already starting to think I was nuts, wiping this phone over and over because of these errors. The thing is that on top of apps not opening, there are times the entire phone would just crash and go into a reboot loop.

Rim tech support after 2+ hours told me that it had to be app related, but I thought that idea was not right since the crashing of the phone only happened at the memory line of 180 or 60+ apps and not by a particular app itself.

I wiped my phone 50 + times and if I added something like bbm or bb travel toward the end when I was reaching 180 mb, the error would happen regardless. So I basically changed the sequence of my downloads over and over again and even tested it out by downloading everything slowly within weeks. And sure enough, the error kicked in right around 180ish mb or 60+

Honestly, I think this issue is something crackberry should blog about cuz my gut tells me that this is what's happening with almost all devices. The only reason its not so wide spread is that ppl aren't utilizing their memory and buying apps like we are so they never get a chance to see the error in action.

Recently I got the error for ing directs app as well as nativa translator. The device went into a loop reboot. I was able to place it in safe mood, delete the bad downloads and my phone came back on normal. I decided to delete all the messaging apps and only keep beejiveIM just to see what would happen if I try to reinstall ing and nativa again. And wala! They both worked like a charm!

So I'm really scratching my head on this app or memory limit thing. I have to treat my device as if it had less memory then it really does. And it prompted me to just go droid and not look at BB again which was still very hard to do despite the new devices on the way. But with no solution to this issue, I am just losing confidence in rims ability to get its software together and do it right.

Last edited by RicanMedic78; 05-17-11 at 11:40 AM.
    05-17-11 11:33 AM
    ...So I'm really scratching my head on this app or memory limit thing. I have to treat my device as if it had less memory then it really does. And it prompted me to just go droid and not look at BB again which was still very hard to do despite the new devices on the way. But with no solution to this issue, I am just losing confidence in rims ability to get its software together and do it right.

So, what makes you think Droid will act any different? Please don't take this the wrong way, I'm just curious. Do you have a friend that has a Droid that has 60 plus apps/however many apps it takes to reach this memory limit? Have you tried this yourself using a Droid?
    05-17-11 01:23 PM
    I was nuts, wiping this phone over and over because of these errors. The thing is that on top of apps not opening, there are times the entire phone would just crash and go into a reboot loop...

I have to treat my device as if it had less memory then it really does...
    I apologize in advance regarding this superfluous post, as it seems a bit ridiculously redundant as RM has already explained it.

RM, throughout this thread you have explained this flaw to the fullest extent as if you were sitting at my PC right next to me! Spot on! I, like you, believe there are others. IMO, others who have not experienced this just don't use their device to the potential that RIM claims to be inherent for apps on a 512 device. I might as well say I am still running a 256 device.
    05-17-11 01:31 PM
31 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD