Check out the new article I just wrote about how RIM ruined the App World and what they can do to fix it: 4 Ways RIM Ruined the Blackberry App World | Blackberry Storm Apps

Would love to hear all your comments.
    04-21-09 02:17 AM
    Lol your site takes paypal too but you bash them for it?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-21-09 02:31 AM
    1. There are plenty of free apps. Why would RIM want to bother collecting their 20 cent listing fee on a 99 cent application since it would cost them 4-5 cents just to take it in. Since a 2.99 flashlight app won't be very popular, it just makes the developer create a better product that actually is worth 2.99.

2. I'm pretty sure 20% plus 2.9% is still less than 30% so the cost is still lower. I would rather pay with PayPal anyway so I'm not loading my credit card info into my cell phone. I'm all for more options but it seems nit-picky to say this "ruined the App World".

3. This prevents us from having to wade through 400 "fart" apps and forces devs to be serious with what they put out. I think this is a great feature of App World.

4. It's been available for 2-3 weeks. Seems smart to not overload the thing before it's had time to be tested out.

Does App World have areas of opportunity? Sure. Did RIM "ruin" it? Not at all.
    04-21-09 02:52 AM
    2. I'm pretty sure 20% plus 2.9% is still less than 30% so the cost is still lower. I would rather pay with PayPal anyway so I'm not loading my credit card info into my cell phone. I'm all for more options but it seems nit-picky to say this "ruined the App World".
    I can understand where you're coming from here, but frankly I still think it's a pain in the arse.
    I don't have a PayPal account right now and setting one up is a bit of a difficult procedure considering I go to boarding school in one place, live in another, and am about to finish school for good and move to a new location for university.
    Goes without saying that my current college conveniently block the PayPal website for no good reason.

I wish I could just buy this stuff with my debit card.

That said... I wish the store had some better apps in it. And cheaper ones
    04-21-09 11:38 AM
    i think its boring
    04-21-09 11:38 AM
    How about the fact that it's ONLY AVAILABLE IN THE US when the Storm is an internationally used phone. Stupid.
    Last edited by p33r; 04-21-09 at 12:02 PM.
    04-21-09 11:43 AM
    Point 3 is a valid argument. Take a look at PatternLock for example. We have seen anywhere from 1-3 updates every 1-2 days. PatternLock has become a VERY VERY well rounded application due to the updates by the developer. Updates should not count against developers in any way. If it is a very poor app, it will not make it into App World but good apps still need updates and maintenance
    04-21-09 11:46 AM
    I can understand where you're coming from here, but frankly I still think it's a pain in the arse.
    I don't have a PayPal account right now and setting one up is a bit of a difficult procedure considering I go to boarding school in one place, live in another, and am about to finish school for good and move to a new location for university.
    Goes without saying that my current college conveniently block the PayPal website for no good reason.

I wish I could just buy this stuff with my debit card.
    I"m pretty sure i have my pay-pal account linked to my Debit card
    04-21-09 11:47 AM
    Well, I clicked but didn't read more than a couple sentences so at least you got a page view for your ads.
    04-21-09 11:48 AM
    #1 way RIM ruined App World:

They released it.

04-21-09 11:49 AM
    How about the fact that it's ONLY AVAILABLE IN THE US when the Storm is an internally used phone. Stupid.
    Internally? Have you swallowed your Storm lately?

They did a fine job, the free apps are just as good, if not better, than most of them anyway. Viigo is just about the best app out right now, and it's free. And besides, is it that big of a hassle to make a Paypal account? No. Just about everyone uses Paypal now and if you don't have one you're the oddball now. Unlike a few years ago where RIM would have been weird for making you buy stuff with it.
    04-21-09 11:50 AM
    Lol your site takes paypal too but you bash them for it?

HAHAHAHA! Pwned!
    04-21-09 11:51 AM
    LMAO! Or maybe sat on it.....
    04-21-09 12:01 PM
    Yes. Yes I have.
    Obviously i meant internationally.
    04-21-09 12:03 PM
    How do you pay for things in the Apple App Store? Does it use your iTunes account?

If so, how is that any easier than using Paypal? Doesn't sound like just using a Visa/MC to me...
    04-21-09 12:07 PM
    Would love to hear all your comments.
    Laughable at best.
    04-21-09 01:51 PM
    How do you pay for things in the Apple App Store? Does it use your iTunes account?

If so, how is that any easier than using Paypal? Doesn't sound like just using a Visa/MC to me...
    In itunes you can use your credit card, debit card, or gift card, its your choosing.
    04-21-09 01:57 PM
    In itunes you can use your credit card, debit card, or gift card, its your choosing.
    I know, but do you need to register an iTunes account (I don't think you need to for gift cards)?
    04-21-09 03:46 PM
    LMAO! Or maybe sat on it.....
    OUCH

That image made my toes curl!

04-21-09 04:00 PM
    dont get me wrong i love my storm, but the whole app store just didnt work with me. i mean really i have an itouch and apps are just easy to get and buy. i dont feel like having a paypal, bank account ect to get a app. the the itouch app store was just a good idea idk what rim was thinking.
    04-21-09 05:40 PM
    I know, but do you need to register an iTunes account (I don't think you need to for gift cards)?
    Yes, an iTunes account is needed.

I think the biggest mistake they made is the price of the apps. Some apps are way over priced compared to iTunes. Also they should seperate out how you can view the app store. I need to see top download, top free downloaded, top pay downloaded.

The apps are so bad that almost all the top app downloads are free. Honestly you do not see this in the iTunes store, I know I have an iTouch.

For you crackberry addicts you can only hope that RIM does not destroy their brand like Sony did with PS3.
    04-21-09 08:57 PM
    Ok, I read through your entire article... So basically, you want to promote your own site and want people to spend $ only with you.

04-21-09 09:10 PM
    This was a great satire piece, did you write it while celebrating 420?
    04-22-09 03:17 AM
    How about the fact that it's ONLY AVAILABLE IN THE US when the Storm is an internationally used phone. Stupid.
    we've got it up in Canadatown...i think we're a nation
    04-22-09 10:32 AM
    Yeah but dealing with paypal is a little more of a hassle. I mean I have an active paypal account so I would be good if I wanted to buy apps for my Bold but I think sometimes convenience and ease of use if undervalued by companies at time. Paypal isn't the worst thing in the world, just a tiny bit more of a hassle. Hopefully RIM comes up with something that you can register on and put your info in so the transactions can be more smooth.
    04-22-09 12:07 PM
31 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD