Please be kind to me. This is my first 'Berry, and I'm not a terribly technical person.

I have read most of the OS 5 threads, carefully read the 101 on upgrading your OS, and read carefully the instructions for installing it. I'm still having issues.

I have an 8520 on Tmobile. No data plan.

I have downloaded the appropriate Os updates. (I've tried both the Wind Hellas version and the Singapore Telecom version.)

I've deleted both and the desktop manager, and started all over again.

And I have had zero problem locating the vendor.xml and deleting it.

Yet every single time I try this the apploader only shows me the 3rd party software I have installed on my phone.

Without a data plan and without risking a bricking of my beloved Brain - I mean, Berry, is there any way to go ahead and install 5.0? Or do I just have to wait until Tmo gets off their buns and puts it on their site?
    06-02-10 11:28 AM
    Have you verified that you downloaded the correct OS for your device? an 8530 isn't the same as an 8520 for example. You need to delete the vendor.xml before connecting your phone and opening desktop manager. Might also help to turn off your computers internet connection (which will check for the latest from YOUR carrier).
    Also, desktop manager 5.0 is not the device software. Just trying to cover all the bases and simple mistakes that could have been made.

Need Desktop Manager 5.0 + Device software, delete xml, unplug internet (or otherwise disable DM from checking for updates), open DM, plug in phone, update...
    Last edited by ratsttam; 06-02-10 at 11:57 AM.
    06-02-10 11:55 AM
    Have you verified that you downloaded the correct OS for your device? an 8530 isn't the same as an 8520 for example. You need to delete the vendor.xml before connecting your phone and opening desktop manager. Might also help to turn off your computers internet connection (which will check for the latest from YOUR carrier).
    Also, desktop manager 5.0 is not the device software. Just trying to cover all the bases and simple mistakes that could have been made.

Need Desktop Manager 5.0 + Device software, delete xml, unplug internet (or otherwise disable DM from checking for updates), open DM, plug in phone, update...
    Thank you for your reply. I appreciate you taking the time.

Yes, I am being very careful to download the version for the 8520. I download the file, unzip it, then delete the vendor file. I have tried using the desktop manager, but I don't think I can use it because I don't have a data plan. I was able to see 5.0, but it said something about only getting it if you have Blackberry service.

I do understand that the Desktop manager 5.0 is different from the OS 5.0. My husband made sure I got that into my head.

I have not tried taking the laptop off wifi. Will that make a difference in using the apploader? I will give that a try.

I am just getting so stinking frustrated that I am trying to follow the directions to the letter and all I can see are my apps. Grr.
    06-02-10 01:09 PM
    Just to be clear, DeskTop Manager is a program on your computer to make backups and "manage" your blackberry, having a data plan is irrelevant for what you're doing. This NEEDS to be installed. You also need to "install" the device software to your computer, you can't just "unzip" it where it is. Double Click the file, and follow the directions. A restart may be necessary (been a while, I forgot it if is or not). It should reside in the c:\program files\common files\rim (or research in motion) folder or something very similar once it's installed. That is where Desktop manager looks for the install files.

Disconnecting your computer from the net will prevent desktop manager from seeing that you have the "latest" OS for your device (it will check the phone's carrier identifier), and rely on what you have installed on your computer (without the vendor.xml it won't care what vendor your phone is from, just the model number).
    06-02-10 01:19 PM
    Just to be clear, DeskTop Manager is a program on your computer to make backups and "manage" your blackberry, having a data plan is irrelevant for what you're doing. This NEEDS to be installed. You also need to "install" the device software to your computer, you can't just "unzip" it where it is. Double Click the file, and follow the directions. A restart may be necessary (been a while, I forgot it if is or not). It should reside in the c:\program files\common files\rim (or research in motion) folder or something very similar once it's installed. That is where Desktop manager looks for the install files.

Disconnecting your computer from the net will prevent desktop manager from seeing that you have the "latest" OS for your device (it will check the phone's carrier identifier), and rely on what you have installed on your computer (without the vendor.xml it won't care what vendor your phone is from, just the model number).
    Okay. I think I understand you. Yes, I definitely understand what the desktop manager is for. I have used it to install 3rd party software and I regularly back up my phone. I have deleted it and reinstalled it just to be sure.

So let me run through these steps and would you tell me if I'm missing something, please?
    1. Back up my phone.
    2. Download, unzip, and install the OS.
    3. Delete the vendor.xml file.
    4. Take the laptop off the internet.
    5. Start Desktop Manager
    6. Plug my phone in to the USP port.
    7. Check the 5.0 box and uncheck the 4.6 box.
    8. Click next, blah blah.

Is that correct? Is there any way that having the new OS will cause Tmobile to snark at me for not having a data plan and force me to get one? It's not in the budget at the moment.

And thank you so much for your patience. I appreciate it.
    06-02-10 01:33 PM
    Okay. I think I understand you. Yes, I definitely understand what the desktop manager is for. I have used it to install 3rd party software and I regularly back up my phone. I have deleted it and reinstalled it just to be sure.

So let me run through these steps and would you tell me if I'm missing something, please?
    1. Back up my phone.
    2. Download, unzip, and install the OS.
    3. Delete the vendor.xml file.
    4. Take the laptop off the internet.
    5. Start Desktop Manager
    6. Plug my phone in to the USP port.
    7. Check the 5.0 box and uncheck the 4.6 box.
    8. Click next, blah blah.

Is that correct? Is there any way that having the new OS will cause Tmobile to snark at me for not having a data plan and force me to get one? It's not in the budget at the moment.

And thank you so much for your patience. I appreciate it.

The problem might be the "unzip" in step 2. it should just be download the .exe and install, maybe I'm wrong there.

Yep, your directions now are pretty much spot on now. There isn't anything that will cause t-mobile to come after you, you just simply won't be able to access any network services. If you bump up to a simple data plan, you just won't get e-mail push, maps, or any BB branded apps (aim, msn, FB, Myspace, etc...) to work.
    06-02-10 02:09 PM
    Grr. Now I can't get it to show 5.0 at all, either by using the Desktop manager to install or the apploader. I am just about over this. Grr.
    06-02-10 02:53 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD