Hey everyone-

I've been using Toktumi for a few months now and extremely happy with their service. Since I found out about the idea, I have been pushing for them to release an app for the BB. (Specifically the Storm )

Hopefully this thread gets enough exposure; I'm curious to know how many people will sign up for this service? Obviously they are geared towards business users, so it won't make sense for everyone (even though the Blackberry is FOR business users), but at the same time- many individuals will benefit from the $15/month unlimited calls as well as home/small businesses who are able to call someone, using their cell phone, and have their business # show up on the caller ID.

*EDIT* You can actually start using unlimited calling now without the app. Toktumi gives you a number to dial into that will allow you to make outgoing calls using your Toktumi account. Just add your dial in # to your Fav5/My Circle account, and you're able to make unlimited calls.

You can visit this thread Unlimited Calling On Your iPhone With Toktumi's Line2 App | Toktumi VoIP News and voice your opinion like I have been.
    Last edited by 312; 06-25-09 at 11:09 PM.
    06-25-09 09:41 PM
    Hey everyone-

I've been using Toktumi for a few months now and extremely happy with their service. Since I found out about the idea, I have been pushing for them to release an app for the BB. (Specifically the Storm )

Hopefully this thread gets enough exposure; I'm curious to know how many people will sign up for this service? Obviously they are geared towards business users, so it won't make sense for everyone (even though the Blackberry is FOR business users), but at the same time- many individuals will benefit from the $15/month unlimited calls as well as home/small businesses who are able to call someone, using their cell phone, and have their business # show up on the caller ID.

*EDIT* You can actually start using unlimited calling now without the app. Toktumi gives you a number to dial into that will allow you to make outgoing calls using your Toktumi account. Just add your dial in # to your Fav5/My Circle account, and you're able to make unlimited calls.

You can visit this thread Unlimited Calling On Your iPhone With Toktumi's Line2 App | Toktumi VoIP News and voice your opinion like I have been.
    Could the Storm do VoIP over the wireless data network?
    06-25-09 10:15 PM
    Could the Storm do VoIP over the wireless data network?
    I guess the title of this thread would be slightly misleading. As I understand it, your phone won't actually be using VoIP. Your dial in access # (in which you would dial to make an outgoing call), would dial the outgoing # (person you're trying to call) using VoIP from Toktumi's server. I guess it's pretty similar to using a calling card.
    06-25-09 10:21 PM
    I guess the title of this thread would be slightly misleading. As I understand it, your phone won't actually be using VoIP. Your dial in access # (in which you would dial to make an outgoing call), would dial the outgoing # (person you're trying to call) using VoIP from Toktumi's server. I guess it's pretty similar to using a calling card.
    Ok.. That makes sense. So this would be awesome for T-Mobile and Verizon users. I should make the switch to T-Mobile one day, but I just cant part with 3G yet, but need to always be on a GSM.
    06-25-09 10:37 PM
    Ok.. That makes sense. So this would be awesome for T-Mobile and Verizon users. I should make the switch to T-Mobile one day, but I just cant part with 3G yet, but need to always be on a GSM.
    Who knows...maybe they will surprise us and have figured out a way to use the data side to make calls. Either way, I'm psyched.
    06-25-09 11:26 PM
    Cool would be awesome on the storm
    06-25-09 11:28 PM
    Since true VOIP is not in the near future with BB, you can already achieve the desired result with Toktumi or any of the like services simply by purchasing BerryDialer or any of the calling card apps. I have been using my Ring Central account like this for months. Works perfectly and the app is like 60 bytes vs a huge app.
    On a side note, Google Voice appears to be opening up very soon and it will likely put Toktumi, RC and most of the pay services out of business. The GV dialer app is 10 bucks and does what you desire for GV

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-25-09 11:59 PM
    Since true VOIP is not in the near future with BB, you can already achieve the desired result with Toktumi or any of the like services simply by purchasing BerryDialer or any of the calling card apps. I have been using my Ring Central account like this for months. Works perfectly and the app is like 60 bytes vs a huge app.
    On a side note, Google Voice appears to be opening up very soon and it will likely put Toktumi, RC and most of the pay services out of business. The GV dialer app is 10 bucks and does what you desire for GV

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    As I said, you can take advantage of Toktumi's unlimited calling feature right now using their dial-in access #. The app is more specifically for control of other features like the auto-attendant, and viewing call history.

Google Voice is cool- no doubt, but isn't for business users. Here's why:

1. Google Voice does not offer an auto-attendant that allows customers to “press 1 for sales, press 2 for service” so they can route calls to the correct person or department. Many businesses need this for their main number.

2. Google Voice includes branding within its service, such as “This call is being connected by Google Voice” that cannot be completely disabled. Callers will know they are calling through Google, and some businesses may not want this because it could make them look smaller and less sophisticated.

3. You cannot set up an 800 number for your business, or transfer an existing number into the system. Some businesses may find this limiting as changing a number can be disruptive, or they need an 800 number to present a bigger image.

4. It is not possible to set up multiple employees or extensions within one account, so it doesn’t work for companies with more than one employee.

5. It does not have a “softphone” that allows you to place and receive VoIP calls on your PC and avoid the phone network altogether. Google Voice requires the use of existing phones to place and receive all your calls - you still have to pay for those phones.

6. There is no live customer support and no service-level guarantees that help ensure that your important business calls will not be missed.
    @Sandos T-Mobile, Verizon, and I think Bell & Rogers (Canada) can make this work for them too.
    Last edited by 312; 06-26-09 at 03:48 AM.
    06-26-09 03:41 AM
    Total newbie here - a have verizon but don't even have a bb yet. Actually I have a storm 2 coming because I wanted to have access to UMA, and GSM systems as I will be doing a lot of overseas traveling and I had my eye on the ability to make free calls back home or anywhere else over wifi. Ok so I open up my browser tonight and there's Line2 for i-phone app that does exactly what I'm looking for, true Voip but seamless, internet calling free, no minutes, from anywhere in the world. I go to the Line2 website (which is apparently way overloaded right now - can't even get on to the Toktumi blogs) and I see Line2 for bb. Only with an asterisk saying bb doesn't support wifi or 3g voip. wtf? I don't know nothing but I know several models support wifi as well as gsm. So it seems if I'm reading this right, that Toktumi supports UMA for free (other than your 15 buck subscription), and without blocking overseas calls - but only on the i-phone? What's up with bb? why can't it work on bb? I really don't want to go the i phone route. Is this gonna happen soon? can one of you geniuses hack it?
    03-25-10 11:00 PM
    The bad news is, the Storm 2 doesn't support UMA. Toktumi's website is currently under a DoS attack. Twitter / Toktumi Line2: Toktumi and Line2 are curr ...

As of right now, you can't make calls over WiFi with Toktumi. Apparently they like iPhone's better and left the BB world to rot in hell.
    03-25-10 11:04 PM
    Well isn't that just software implementation? If your carrier supports UMA then any wifi phone should be able to do voip, right? This is from the Blackberry web site:

UMA/GAN

UMA (Unlicensed Mobile Access), sometimes referred to as GAN (Generic Access Network), provides carrier services (GSM®/GPRS/EDGE) over unlicensed networks such as Wi-Fi. It allows smartphones that are Wi-Fi capable to make GSM phone calls over Wi-Fi networks.
    BlackBerry Bold 9000 smartphone

BlackBerry® smartphones that support Wi-Fi*:

* BlackBerry® Storm2™ 9550
    * BlackBerry® Bold™ 9700 smartphone
    * BlackBerry® Bold™ 9000 smartphone
    * BlackBerry® Pearl™ Flip 8220 smartphone
    * BlackBerry® Pearl™ 8120 smartphone
    * BlackBerry® Curve™ 8900 smartphone
    * BlackBerry® Curve™ 8320 smartphone
    * BlackBerry® Curve™ 8350i smartphone
    * BlackBerry® 8820 smartphon

So it seems to me that support from Toktumi is all we need. They're doing it on the iphone - **** you can even do it from an ipod touch. Can bb be far behind? I know T-mob has been doing it on a limited basis (blocking calls from international ip and such) and some folks on other threads here have been cooking up hacks for the bold. But now that the Line2 app for iphone is out it seems to me like the cat's out of the bag. Real voip and all that implies is here. Surely a bb implementation can't be far behind?
    03-26-10 12:05 AM
    ...If your carrier supports UMA then any wifi phone should be able to do voip, right?...
    I'm going to ASSUME you bought a Verizon 9550. If that's the case, no. Verizon doesn't support UMA.
    03-26-10 12:09 AM
    Right - I understand verizon doesn't - but Toktumi does, at least with the iphone and ipod touch. and I know that it's possible to put the right sim card in a 9550 and with the right hack access UMA via Tmob network even on a verizon phone (thats wifi and gsm compatible like the 9550) So it just seems that with a Line2 subscription you could do the same thing - if Toktumi ever gets around to implementing it for bb, or if one of you geniuses comes up with the right code...

Or maybe I have no clue! In any event I appreciate your patience.
    03-26-10 12:25 AM
    this looks promising......would try it out when its out
    03-26-10 01:04 AM
    Right - I understand verizon doesn't - but Toktumi does, at least with the iphone and ipod touch. and I know that it's possible to put the right sim card in a 9550 and with the right hack access UMA via Tmob network even on a verizon phone (thats wifi and gsm compatible like the 9550) So it just seems that with a Line2 subscription you could do the same thing - if Toktumi ever gets around to implementing it for bb, or if one of you geniuses comes up with the right code...

Or maybe I have no clue! In any event I appreciate your patience.
    You don't seem to understand what UMA actually is. It's not just VoIP. UMA provides the same authentication that you get with a regular Phone-to-Tower connection. So, you need to actually do this authentication to use UMA. A 3rd party carrier wouldn't ever be able to do this, because of things like the SIM card authenticating with the 3rd party.
    03-26-10 03:47 AM
    What I think is interesting about this is the following:

– there are no long-term contracts, no activation fees, no termination fees, no equipment to buy and no per-minute charges.
    While generally when I travel overseas (which is not often), I would bring my netbook and just skype out to home at low rates, with the above, I could choose to buy an iPod Touch and sign up for Line2 for just one month and use that for Line2 calls direct to home.......

Interesting......
    03-26-10 09:30 AM
    I could choose to buy an iPod Touch and sign up for Line2 for just one month and use that for Line2 calls direct to home.......
    That's exactly what I think I'm seeing here. It sounds like you can actually buy a touch (when Apple approves the app for the touch) or an i-phone WITHOUT an ATT plan and simply use it anywhere in the world there is wifi for $15/mo. That seems to good to be true - at least for someone who spends most of there time traveling outside the US and just wants the ability to call whenever there's convenient wifi around.
    03-26-10 03:24 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD