Hey Guys,

I always hear about how much better it is to upgrade to 5.0 instead of 4.6. Does anyone have the link? and can this be done through my cell phones browser. It would be so much appreciated. Also what are the pros and cons of the update and is it still worth it? Thanks!

Oh sorry, do i lose everything on my cell phone once i do the update? and whats this thing about I have to delete some file off of my applications. Whats the file name I need to delete.

Sorry for all the questions.
    04-02-10 10:11 AM
    There's a sticky here that will answer all your questions about the new OS 5.0.

You can download the file from RIM HERE.

This cannot be done through your phones browser...you need to download the file listed above to your PC...and connect your phone to your PC to update the OS.

It's definitely worth it to upgrade...the new OS is so much smoother and responsive. You won't lose any of your data on your phone during the upgrade...everything is backed up, then re-installed once the new OS is on your phone.

The file you're talking about that needs to be deleted is called the "vendor.xml" file...check out number 3 below...

Here are the basic instructions:

1) Download the 5.0 OS from the Sticky Thread.
    2) Install the 5.0 OS on your PC. Make sure you don't have any previous Blackberry OS on the PC...if you do, just remove those before installing the 5.0 OS.
    3) On your PC, go to "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\AppLoader" folder and delete the "vendor.xml" file.
    4) Keep the AppLoader Folder open.
    5) Hook up your phone to the PC, make sure the internet is turned off.
    6) In the "AppLoader" folder, click on "Loader.exe"
    7) It should recognize your phone, follow the prompts until you get to the list of files to install...you should see the 5.0 OS at the top of the list.
    6) The application loader will give you an option to back up your berry before it starts the OS, which will back up all your data and 3rd party apps before installing the new OS.
    7) After scrolling through the list and checking out all the software you want to either keep or remove, just click through and the rest is just sitting and waiting until it's done. Mine took about 30 minutes or so.
    8) I took out my MicroSD card before I did all this just to be safe...so you might want to do the same.
    9) When the phone boots back up with the new OS on it...do a battery pull and leave it out for about 30-seconds before putting it back in.
    10) Enjoy
    Last edited by Jonny Bigtime; 04-02-10 at 10:35 AM.
    04-02-10 10:33 AM
    Thank you very much! Very helpful. I dont need desktop manager right?
    04-15-10 02:45 PM
    Thank you very much! Very helpful. I dont need desktop manager right?
    I think you do for the Backup Part
    04-15-10 02:52 PM
    Thanks, i'll download that right now
    04-15-10 03:03 PM
    Great . . I believe the latest version is 5.0.1 . . you might as well download CrackMem apps.

use it for the installation part instead of the loader.exe since some I know had problems using the ( loader way )

need more help ! . . ask
    04-15-10 03:11 PM
    It worked great. The installation went well. Only thing is that my phone said it was going to reboot and the red light keeps coming on every few mins. Is it loading up everything or is it safe to turn on my phone on my own?
    04-15-10 04:24 PM
    did it drain your battery, mine seems to be dead right after the installation so I have no idea how it looks.
    04-15-10 04:28 PM
    The red light should turn on for few seconds then turns off and then a black screen with blackberry written on with a bar that shows you the completion status.

then you can restore the backup you did earlier

and you're Done

edit:
    No, it did not drain my battery. It was charching while connected via USB
    04-15-10 04:30 PM
    nvm I lied. But thank you both of you for your help. I couldnt have got it done without you guys. The installation went perfectly and exactly as stated. Thanks a bunch. I will come back if I need any more help. You guys are great
    04-15-10 04:30 PM
    anytime

That's why we're here
    04-15-10 04:36 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD