Ah, finally took the giant step and updated to the 'released' 5.0.509 version, install went flawless using the steps in this forum, took about 1/2 hour total. All calendar and address book restored no problems, here are my impressions of this new OS...

1. Overall, this IS a faster OS, much zippier then the 4.6 I came from, noticeably when opening windows, switching screens and running apps.

2. As mentioned a million times already, top lock button is now merged with standby/lock, not sure if this is a good idea or not, there is a button shortcut (pressing A) to lock but there is not shortcut to unlock only the button on the top, if this button is broken for any reason, you would be stuck in lock mode. This probably should of been thought of by RIM.

3. Camera focus is a bit faster, not that much but noticeable.

4. Love the menu improvements in options.

5. 5.0 now allows Vibrate and Ring simultaneously without 3rd party app yea! about time. The profile settings are much more detailed and configurable for customization.

6. I found using my 4.6 themes I made a bit glitchy so switched to default, downloaded the new Plasmic Theme Builder 5.0 which is more compatible with 5.0 OS's, see how that works out.

7. Media folders are all broken up, not sure if I like this, I kind of liked the one Media icon that can access all the media folders, so this will take time to get use to.

8. BB Browser is also much faster, running it in WiFi mode.

9. Threaded SMS, I don't do a lot of SMS so not sure if this is going to effect me.

10. Bluetooth, one thing I've noticed, my bluetooth range seems to be better, not sure if this is me or what, but I use to lose my connection to my car handsfree device when I enter my house from the garage but now I can enter the house go a bit further and it's still connected so the range is better.

11. Restart/Reboot, is a bit faster although nothing to jump for joy for. You do however now get a very nice Blackberry Logo with a status meter during reboot.

** So far, so good, let's see how the next few days go with battery life and day to day usage. The lock/unlock feature is a bit weird I admit but I suspect with the amount of complaints, RIM will change this. Also, would of been nice for them to put in an Auto Lock feature.

My 2 Cents.
    Last edited by MiniM3; 03-05-10 at 10:55 AM.
    03-05-10 08:45 AM
    Good review. I'm sticking with 411 for the moment. Let us know how it feels after a few days.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-05-10 09:06 AM
    One more item, the lock feature no longer displays the Owner Info, which I always thought was kind of important if you ever lose your phone.
    03-05-10 10:49 AM
    thisis a great build! but i have beejive connection issues
    03-05-10 12:32 PM
    If you lost your blackberry, do you really think you're getting it back?
    I'm not gonna think positive in the hopes that there are good people in the world. Call me cynical.

03-05-10 12:32 PM
    If you lost your blackberry, do you really think you're getting it back?
    I'm not gonna think positive in the hopes that there are good people in the world. Call me cynical.

From that comment, I'm pretty sure you won't Usually as an individual I don't have too much confidence, but I know in stores, hotels or business places, they usually return these things.

I'm hoping that there were still a handful of those people out there, I would and I've done it before, found someone's Blackberry flip and returned it because of the owner info. Now, if I found a bag with a million dollars in it, I may not be as nice
    03-05-10 01:43 PM
    One more item, the lock feature no longer displays the Owner Info, which I always thought was kind of important if you ever lose your phone.
    Ah thats a shame
    03-05-10 04:01 PM
    Ah thats a shame
    I did find a way to sort of get back the old Lock, set a password in Options, then you'll see the Lock icon, when you run the lock icon, it will go back to the old Owner Info lock screen (just set the left side button to activate that lock), but unfortunately you now have to enter a password to unlock using this method not to mention if you sync with DM, it will keep asking you for that password as well when you connect vis usb.

Why RIM,m whyyyyyy.......!!!!???? hehe
    03-05-10 06:03 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD