We haven't yet hit the 2 year mark of the Motion. But these days phone technology is moving so fast, that a 2 year old phone (that didn't start with flagship specs), unfortunately feels old very fast.

That being said (and despite the thread name), I have not yet retired my Motion. Still my main device.

But unlike other generations, this generation has me looking at other devices a lot more often. The Motion is a great device, but it's not quite scratching that itch anymore. Which is a shame. Because I held onto my Z30 extra long because I didn't feel any rush to upgrade. Whereas now, I'm ready for the next thing.

So to all those who've upgraded, or are planning to, I just want to know what was the "last straw" for you. Was it one key thing (no pun intended)? Or maybe just a series of small issues that never went away?
    08-29-19 10:49 PM
    Right now, the vkb has almost pushed me to move on. I don't know if it's due to the software updates or what, but my accuracy is way down. And it's becoming so frustrating.

Personally, I really enjoy typing on glass. I loved my Z30. And the Motion was the natural next step. I find it much easier typing with one hand than a pkb.

But it's becoming a chore. I always felt the Motion was not as accurate as the Z30. But lately it's seems to be worse. Bad auto correction. Putting misspelled words to autofill on he space bar. So that I have to go back and redo the entire work. And predictive words that make no sense all over the screen. Sometimes I have to correct every other word. And it's too much.

It's actually the reason I've been seriously considering a Key2. But that's a separate topic.

Anyways, a poor typing experience (and one that seems to be getting worse) is the main reason I'm considering retiring my Motion. There are other reasons as well, but lately this is the big one.
    anon(8980596) and DaDaDogg like this.
    08-29-19 10:56 PM
    yes so true mine is absolutely pathetic it very bad
    08-29-19 11:01 PM
    what the **** happened to us the motion was one of the best typing experience.
    08-29-19 11:02 PM
    The main problem I've had with the Motion has been the fingerprint scanner. The latest update has improved the performance, but I occasionally have to restart the phone so the scanner can work consistently.

Typing is easy for me. I've always liked the BlackBerry virtual keyboard.

But it is evident this phone is getting old fast compared to the latest phones. Still not ready to give up on the Motion yet. Maybe another 6 months...
    08-29-19 11:33 PM
    Got mine on contract, have about 5 months left of it. Will be moving to Samsung. Wifey is already on A70 and she loves it. Leaving BlackBerry altogether as I have issues digesting what they have done to the platform. No way I will be going for another BB. Whatever they will release if anything...
    John Albert and pdr733 like this.
    08-30-19 04:35 AM
    While I wasn’t able to get a Motion since it wasn’t offered through AT&T officially, I’m confused. It seems like owners want to fault BB for changes made to BBAndroid by Google that aren’t within BB control as it’s not their OS to control.

As far as the VKB performance or considering the PKB for better experience, why bother? The PKB is about feeling the keys instead of glass. BBAndroid is still BBAndroid so all the Google software changes on your Motion apply to KEYone and Key2/LE as well.

I suspect a factory reset would help the Motion performance for most things.
    08-30-19 05:35 AM
    Having none of these issues with my motion. Still use my Z30 as a second line and though the typing experience is better on the Z30, it's not THAT much better. It's a solid phone with great battery that's never let me down.
    08-30-19 05:56 AM
    I loved my Motion and the only thing that had me retiring it was the release of the KEY2. I occasionally bring it out of retirement for a weekend spin and I still find the overall user experience superior to my other flagship slabs (Pixel 3, Note8, Essential), all of which have been loaded with the BB suite and vkb.
    08-30-19 06:14 AM
    Camera - that's it. Everything else about the Motion is perfectly sufficient for my needs. In actuality, was impressed with it as a whole (minus camera) when first bought and still am today when we pull it out to toy with. Still one of the best fingerprint scanners I've used to-date.
    skilas likes this.
    08-30-19 07:54 AM
    Camera - that's it. Everything else about the Motion is perfectly sufficient for my needs. In actuality, was impressed with it as a whole (minus camera) when first bought and still am today when we pull it out to toy with. Still one of the best fingerprint scanners I've used to-date.
    I used to be frustrated with the camera. But in the end, got used to it. The camera on a new device would be a selling point for me. But it's not enough for me to put away my Motion.

Anecdotally, my finger print scanner is very hit or miss. Rarely lands on the first try. Often takes 2 or 3. I usually don't bother.
    Elky64 likes this.
    08-30-19 02:57 PM
    I still have my Motion, but as I've said in several other threads, I saw a new KEYone Black Edition for $279 and pulled the trigger. That was the end of my Motion. it wasn't that the Motion didn't work anymore, but the KEYone BE was a more satisfying experience.

One other thing... the Dragontrail glass on the Motion is the worst smudge magnet I have ever experienced on a smartphone. And THAT was the one and only thing I didn't like about the Motion.
    08-31-19 09:23 AM
    Complete, sudden battery failure. And there don't seem to be any replacement batteries available anywhere. Anyone know where I might find one? even used....
    Would be my second favorite BB after Z30, but agree the typing experience is not near as good IMO.
    Have had Bold, Z10, Z30, Passport, Dtek60, Motion. Was another one earlier, can't remember.
    08-31-19 11:51 AM
    My wife's Motion needed a new battery. The shop we took it to found one, it took awhile. You might one to try that.
    08-31-19 02:23 PM
    Complete, sudden battery failure. And there don't seem to be any replacement batteries available anywhere. Anyone know where I might find one? even used....
    Would be my second favorite BB after Z30, but agree the typing experience is not near as good IMO.
    Have had Bold, Z10, Z30, Passport, Dtek60, Motion. Was another one earlier, can't remember.
    I can't find it there or anywhere else. What was the part number, if you don't mind? The part number I have is TLP038B1
    Searched all my usual suspects and the only mention of a Motion battery is on Esource but they are out of stock. Even tried searching Aliexpress using the Motion code name "krypton" and came up with nothing other than cases and back covers.

https://www.esourceparts.ca/replacem...-bbd100-2.html

Edit * Just found this :

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32973577315.html

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...LjT%23shpCntId
    It appears that the Alcatel A7 has the same battery, makes sense that the Motion and the A7 came out at about the same time...

battery number : TLp038B1
    Courtesy of Yama, I just cut and pasted
    cipriacp likes this.
    08-31-19 04:39 PM
    If you are in a rush to get a replacement try Amazon. There are several aftermarket choices.

Replacement Battery for Alcatel A7 A7 LTE A7 LTE Dual SIM TD-LTE OT-5090Y https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07M6X8Q3P...UvbUpU13438893
    08-31-19 05:00 PM
    I used to be frustrated with the camera. But in the end, got used to it. The camera on a new device would be a selling point for me. But it's not enough for me to put away my Motion.

Anecdotally, my finger print scanner is very hit or miss. Rarely lands on the first try. Often takes 2 or 3. I usually don't bother.
    Never ever got used to camera. For more than a year took on the "grin and bear it" attitude because everything else about the Motion worked very well for me, but its rear shooter's shortcomings finally became too much... I'd have to go back several years prior to Motion's launch before I came up with a phone we owned with a worse camera.

As for fingerprint scanner. My experience with it have been the total opposite rarely missing a beat. Definitely wouldn't be impressed if we were in your boat experiencing such.
    08-31-19 11:48 PM
    my motion is one year old .it impossible retire.
    if BlackBerry launch new phone with higher spec than motion ,may consider retire.🤣🤣🤣
    09-01-19 05:49 AM
    Right now, the vkb has almost pushed me to move on. I don't know if it's due to the software updates or what, but my accuracy is way down. And it's becoming so frustrating.

Personally, I really enjoy typing on glass. I loved my Z30. And the Motion was the natural next step. I find it much easier typing with one hand than a pkb.

But it's becoming a chore. I always felt the Motion was not as accurate as the Z30. But lately it's seems to be worse. Bad auto correction. Putting misspelled words to autofill on he space bar. So that I have to go back and redo the entire work. And predictive words that make no sense all over the screen. Sometimes I have to correct every other word. And it's too much.

It's actually the reason I've been seriously considering a Key2. But that's a separate topic.

Anyways, a poor typing experience (and one that seems to be getting worse) is the main reason I'm considering retiring my Motion. There are other reasons as well, but lately this is the big one.
    The poor typing experience has to do with updates. And the same bad prediction probably also exists on other models. I started using Gboard. It automatically detects in which language I am typing, even better than the BlackBerry keyboard does. I only miss flicking up the words...
    09-02-19 06:16 AM
    The poor typing experience has to do with updates. And the same bad prediction probably also exists on other models. I started using Gboard. It automatically detects in which language I am typing, even better than the BlackBerry keyboard does. I only miss flicking up the words...
    Gboard is my go-to as well on the majority of my devices. Never found BlackBerry's VKB to all that great for my usage.
    09-02-19 07:05 AM
    VKB was getting bad.
    Call logs weren't being sent to my truck.
    Low storage problems.
    Battery performance.
    Camera

A factory reset might have resolved the call logs issue, and the battery issue really isn't anyone's fault (18 month old heavily used device), but the diminished quality of the VKB and low on-board memory were too much for me. About the camera, no comment necessary. I'm on an S10+ now with the hub and BlackBerry vkb and couldn't be happier.
    09-02-19 03:14 PM
    VKB was getting bad.
    Call logs weren't being sent to my truck.
    Low storage problems.
    Battery performance.
    Camera

A factory reset might have resolved the call logs issue, and the battery issue really isn't anyone's fault (18 month old heavily used device), but the diminished quality of the VKB and low on-board memory were too much for me. About the camera, no comment necessary. I'm on an S10+ now with the hub and BlackBerry vkb and couldn't be happier.
    I should really think about a factory reset just to freshen things up. But I suffer from "if it ain't broken, don't fix it" syndrome. As in the past I've tried fixing things that weren't broken, but "could use a tune up", and always end up spending countless hours of grief having screwed something up. Sometimes not making any progress in the end...
    09-05-19 02:43 PM