... a waterproof non-PKB keyone? Thoughts?
    10-09-17 05:50 AM
    Snapdragon 625, 5,5 IPS LCD at 1080p (if it was at last an amoled display...)
    looks really average and since TCL is a chinese brand, the specs make me think about chinese midrange phones like Xiaomi Redmi Note 4, looks almost the same while talking about the hardware (4100mah device), except for the water proof. The only big difference is that Xiaomi sells it for around $250 not ~$450 like TCL does.
    I'm not complaining about the price, just saying they could have more sucess and profit not overpricing their devices since it's not high end hardware in the end...

https://m.gsmarena.com/xiaomi_redmi_note_4-8531.php
    big_time2 likes this.
    10-09-17 06:02 AM
    Consumers aren't the main market TCL is after. If price is the issue and you don't value BlackBerry's software and security features, then it's not for you.
    10-09-17 10:00 AM
    if the motion had better specs I'd buy it. however it is basically a waterproof keyone without the keys, so I'll be sticking with my keyone for the PKB.
    anon(8679041) likes this.
    10-09-17 11:20 AM
    it is basically a waterproof keyone without the keys.
    That's exactly what it is supposed to be.
    TCM01 and RCM78 like this.
    10-09-17 11:31 AM
    It's average depending on what you are looking for.
    10-09-17 02:06 PM
    Is the Motion the kind of phone you guys would feel comfortable rocking naked? I would take the risk, it looks sturdily built, the camera barely protrudes, and the screen is IPS LCD meaning worst case the glass cracks but no pixel leakage like AMOLED. (My Galaxy S5 fell 5 feet, at first just top of screen had dark tint, a couple hours later the whole screen went black)

So yeah if I ever owned this phone I'd just slap on a tempered glass protector and good to go.
    OTCHRussell likes this.
    10-09-17 03:32 PM
    xiaomi redmi note 4 is 149€ in europe, same specs
    10-09-17 03:37 PM
    Is the Motion the kind of phone you guys would feel comfortable rocking naked? I would take the risk, it looks sturdily built, the camera barely protrudes, and the screen is IPS LCD meaning worst case the glass cracks but no pixel leakage like AMOLED. (My Galaxy S5 fell 5 feet, at first just top of screen had dark tint, a couple hours later the whole screen went black)

So yeah if I ever owned this phone I'd just slap on a tempered glass protector and good to go.
    I was thinking the same thing. The phone is bigger than I like, and a case just makes it bigger.
    Another idea, also slap on a Spigen Ring. You are less likely to drop it and may help to protect the camera

BB9000>Q10>Z10>Z30>Z30>Classic>Dtek50>Dtek60
    10-09-17 03:49 PM
    xiaomi redmi note 4 is 149€ in europe, same specs
    The camera sensor on the Motion/KEYᵒⁿᵉ is better. IMX258 vs the IMX378.

Don't forget that the Motion has enterprise-grade security and is built tough.

These extras aren't for everyone, so I'm not trying to convince you. Get what you need.
    10-09-17 04:52 PM
    Ok so + 350 € for encryption and slightly better sensor.
    Also the xiaomi looks way better without the ugly chin. Not trying to be polemic but 499 for a 625 in late 2017 is ridicolous
    10-09-17 04:59 PM
    Ok so + 350 € for encryption and slightly better sensor.
    Also the xiaomi looks way better without the ugly chin. Not trying to be polemic but 499 for a 625 in late 2017 is ridicolous
    Again, I'm not trying to convince you. It sounds like the Motion is not a good fit for you. That's ok.

Btw, the security isn't just encryption - it's locked bootloader, hardware root of trust, integrity detection, and security patches.

The "chin" in action:

Zaiah86 likes this.
    10-09-17 05:08 PM

Happened to daughter's S7 too, with a case and scree protector. Fell face down and screen's display starting freezing and turned an odd color.
    10-09-17 06:22 PM
    if the motion had better specs I'd buy it. however it is basically a waterproof keyone without the keys, so I'll be sticking with my keyone for the PKB.
    That is people on this board will buy it. The specs are more than adequate for the average phone user.
    10-09-17 09:46 PM
    Pros:
    1. Has notification LED
    2. IP67 water resistant (not IP68 though)
    3. 4000 mAh battery

Cons:
    1. Camera has no OIS
    2. Dated SoC
    10-09-17 09:59 PM
    Again, I'm not trying to convince you. It sounds like the Motion is not a good fit for you. That's ok.

Btw, the security isn't just encryption - it's locked bootloader, hardware root of trust, integrity detection, and security patches.

The "chin" in action:

I soooooo want that phone! But I don’t want to leave my iPhone! Thinking of just having both lol smh..
    10-09-17 10:09 PM
    Pros:
    1. Has notification LED
    2. IP67 water resistant (not IP68 though)
    3. 4000 mAh battery

Cons:
    1. Camera has no OIS
    2. Dated SoC
    It's not a dated SoC. Or just barely.

The 626 was a limited production mini update that only found itself in a couple of devices (Z2 Play and C5/7 Pro). The 625 got into around 50 devices by comparison.

The 630 is just getting into devices this month or next (Moto X4, Zenfone 4, and U11 Life). Only a single one is in market - the Aquos S2. A single one.
    Last edited by conite; 10-09-17 at 10:48 PM.
    10-09-17 10:25 PM
    To those comparing against no US-warranty support Chineesium stuff, I say: Meh.

One potential competitor (with US warranty support) is the Motorola G5Splus. IPS, same processor, 3gb RAM/32Gb or 4Gb/64Gb.

It's also cheaper -- $299. PDAF camera (dual).

But... 3,000mah battery, no formal water resistance rating (hygrophobic coated board, but no IP67 rating) and no NFC either, which means no touch-to-pay capability. The camera has been panned pretty badly too (the KeyONE, on the other hand, is considered excellent and that's the same unit in the Motion.)

Looking around gsmarena and setting the parameters to 3-4Gb of RAM, price under $550, must have NFC, must cover both band 4 and 12 (thus GSM in the US, basically), must have fingerprint scanner, has Android 7 and an SD slot gives me a fair selection of devices, but none have big batteries and more than a few are running 800 series processors, which are going to be power pigs by comparison. Those which are potential competitors are not directly US supported, which is a problem as soon as you have a warranty issue. I remind you that BlackBerry has a field repair office in Texas (I know as my DTEK60 got a new battery there) and they turn devices in 2 days.

So is it worth another $150 over the G5s+ for a materially better camera, hardware security, much bigger battery and formal water resistance plus US support? I say yep. The materially poorer camera and lack of NFC kill my interest in the G5s+ immediately; those are compromises I won't make.

The Motion, thus far, looks quite competitive against what I see in the market at the expected asking price.
    10-09-17 10:29 PM
    The main issue is that we don't know if, much less when, it'll ever be available in North America.

Posted via CB10 / AT&T /Z10 STL100-3 /10.3.3.2205
    10-09-17 11:06 PM
    That's exactly what it is supposed to be.
    And that is exactly why I'll be buying it! Thanks for making this, TCL!
    10-09-17 11:24 PM
    The reasons I would buy a Blackberry are:
    • Keyboard
    • Love of the brand

If it has no keyboard, for me I would only buy it for the love of the brand. There are zillion devices out there which either better design, better spec, waterproof, more optimized software, and so on. For me, it's the same story like the Nokia Android phones. It can still produce some decent sales... but if want to buy a touch-screen only phone, there are so many truly EXCELLENT phones to choose from, I don't see why I would buy this phone... it's not even cheap.

I think it can be interesting for those people, who specifically want a BB phone, but don't want the keyboard.
    10-10-17 12:34 AM
    ... a waterproof non-PKB keyone? Thoughts?
    Agree with you. The device is designed to give best VKB experience.

 Passport propelled by 10.3.2.2639
    10-10-17 05:12 AM
    Consumers aren't the main market TCL is after. If price is the issue and you don't value BlackBerry's software and security features, then it's not for you.
    for 450 it is not for enterprise as well
    10-10-17 05:30 AM
    The reasons I would buy a Blackberry are:
    • Keyboard
    • Love of the brand

If it has no keyboard, for me I would only buy it for the love of the brand. There are zillion devices out there which either better design, better spec, waterproof, more optimized software, and so on. For me, it's the same story like the Nokia Android phones. It can still produce some decent sales... but if want to buy a touch-screen only phone, there are so many truly EXCELLENT phones to choose from, I don't see why I would buy this phone... it's not even cheap.

I think it can be interesting for those people, who specifically want a BB phone, but don't want the keyboard.
    I agree on the fan/consumer side of things...

Enterprise.... if they buy it will be for the security. And TCL says that is the group they are focused on. Which is why the KEYone and Motion aren't what most here hoped they would have been..... they aren't the intended customer.
    10-10-17 08:00 AM
    for 450 it is not for enterprise as well
    Don't forget that the customers TCL is going after are the one's willing to buy device management software and additional end to end security software products from BlackBerry Limited. More on the government and enterprise side of business.
    10-10-17 10:07 AM
39 12