Telus Motion Security Update - Sept's?-motion_sept_update.jpg
    09-27-19 11:40 PM
    Any bets it'll actually materialize?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	motion_sept_update.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	96.0 KB 
ID:	446283
    It's already rolling out to other Motions.
    09-28-19 12:05 AM
    It's already rolling out to other Motions.
    Yes you did make mention of that in a thread on Sept 23rd yet have not seen the Motion Forum light up (LOL) indicating that's the case.

At this point it's more of a curiosity to see if it will actually come OTA via Telus, unlike August's...

Telus Motion Security Update - Sept's?-motion_aug_update.jpg
    09-28-19 12:54 AM
    This ongoing failure to provide timely updates certainly reflects badly on Blackberry (at least in my mind). Since Blackberry is now providing software for so many cars, does this men our Blackberry cars will only be secure for s couple of years as well? Doesn't Blackberry understand that lack of consistency is transferable in consumers minds?
    09-28-19 07:58 AM
    This ongoing failure to provide timely updates certainly reflects badly on Blackberry (at least in my mind). Since Blackberry is now providing software for so many cars, does this men our Blackberry cars will only be secure for s couple of years as well? Doesn't Blackberry understand that lack of consistency is transferable in consumers minds?
    BlackBerry provides updates to its one device customer - TCL - when they are paid to do so, and/or according to the terms of the contract.

Similarly, BlackBerry will provide updates to its auto customers when they are paid to do so, and/or according to the terms of the various contracts.
    09-28-19 08:43 AM
    Consumers have no idea about BlackBerry/QNX in their cars. Are you able to name component sources in your car not labeled? Probably not and that’s by design.
    09-28-19 09:47 AM
    Actually did the research re my vehicle's infotainment system so I do know the manufacturer and software company. Part of my decision to not purchase replacement vehicle from this manufacturer was complete lack of ongoing support for the unit. But until consumers ask for more we won't receive more (and maybe not then either).
    09-28-19 10:29 AM
    Actually did the research re my vehicle's infotainment system so I do know the manufacturer and software company. Part of my decision to not purchase replacement vehicle from this manufacturer was complete lack of ongoing support for the unit. But until consumers ask for more we won't receive more (and maybe not then either).
    But you do understand how this works, right? The car company purchases software and components from subcontractors and dictate the terms of support. The supplier simply complies as required by the contract.

Whether it be smartphones or cars, BlackBerry Limited is just one of said suppliers.
    09-28-19 10:56 AM
    Ah yes, I do understand. While I love my motion, Blackberry also has a say in accepting or not accepting certain terms in the contracts that they sign as well. Sometimes in business one must accept a lower profit margin to enhance brand image. Or look for different partners. Lots of options from both sides. With choosing TCL as a partner and given the config underperformance, Blackberry could step in to maintain their brand
    09-28-19 11:15 AM
    Also want to say, thanks so much Conite for all your efforts. You are amazing and so patient. Very much appreciated.
    Elephant_Canyon likes this.
    09-28-19 11:18 AM
    Ah yes, I do understand. While I love my motion, Blackberry also has a say in accepting or not accepting certain terms in the contracts that they sign as well. Sometimes in business one must accept a lower profit margin to enhance brand image. Or look for different partners. Lots of options from both sides. With choosing TCL as a partner and given the config underperformance, Blackberry could step in to maintain their brand
    I understand what you're saying, and others have been saying it too. But, at the end of the day, that only amounts to doing charity work. Shareholders would be furious. Plus the mobile brand customers have almost zero overlap with the IoT and Cylance brand customers.
    Last edited by conite; 09-28-19 at 03:47 PM.
    09-28-19 11:26 AM
    So you’re saying that you’re werent getting ongoing support from BlackBerry/QNX for your infotainment system in your car? That would be on your car OEM since it’s their infotainment system.
    09-28-19 03:39 PM