Yet another reason for Rogers customers in Canada to demand that the carrier offers the BlackBerry Motion and start taking security more seriously.

CBC article link on SS7 vulnerability:

Hackers only needed a phone number to track this man's cellphone
    Hackers only needed a phone number to track this MP's cellphone - Politics - CBC News

Shared via the CBC News Android App
    11-22-17 06:19 PM
    Yet another reason for Rogers customers in Canada to demand that the carrier offers the BlackBerry Motion and start taking security more seriously.

CBC article link on SS7 vulnerability:

Hackers only needed a phone number to track this man's cellphone
    Hackers only needed a phone number to track this MP's cellphone - Politics - CBC News

Shared via the CBC News Android App
    How would the Motion prevent this exactly?
    1122334455667788 likes this.
    11-22-17 06:23 PM
    How would the Motion prevent this exactly?
    The point is simply that Rogers should step up their game on general security of their customers. Adding the Motion to their lineup of offered devices is just one of the steps they could take to convey that commitment. That's all.
    11-22-17 06:27 PM
    The point is simply that Rogers should step up their game on general security of their customers. Adding the Motion to their lineup of offered devices is just one of the steps they could take to convey that commitment. That's all.
    If you're the EVP in charge of sales, this doesn't mean anything to increasing sales of smartphones for your employer compared to all the OEM flagships that people are currently demanding.
    11-22-17 06:32 PM
    If you're the EVP in charge of sales, this doesn't mean anything to increasing sales of smartphones for your employer compared to all the OEM flagships that people are currently demanding.
    I recognize that BlackBerry Mobile should be doing more to advertise its phones in order to create more demand, but Rogers could do better than solely promote IPhone and Samsung when you visit their website or brick and mortar stores.

Additionally, the heads of sales from Bell, Telus, Koodo and SaskTel see market potential in the Canadian market. Not sure why Rogers doesn't...
    11-22-17 06:40 PM
    I recognize that BlackBerry Mobile should be doing more to advertise its phones in order to create more demand, but Rogers could do better than solely promote IPhone and Samsung when you visit their website or brick and mortar stores.

Additionally, the heads of sales from Bell, Telus, Koodo and SaskTel see market potential in the Canadian market. Not sure why Rogers doesn't...
    Why should they promote anything but two companies who pay them most to do just that? Don't they have moral obligation to fulfill a contractural obligation?

If BlackBerry wants to be promoted more, shouldn't they just outbid the competing OEMs....
    11-22-17 06:47 PM
    Why should they promote anything but two companies who pay them most to do just that? Don't they have moral obligation to fulfill a contractural obligation?
    Again, Bell, Telus, Koodo and SaskTel seem to think that there is profit to be made with phones made by other manufacturers. Why do you think that Rogers is any different? As a consumer, wouldn't you want more choice? As a major carrier, don't you think Rogers should be offering the latest security-focused phone for its corporate customers (such as Air Canada)?
    11-22-17 06:53 PM
    Again, Bell, Telus, Koodo and SaskTel seem to think that there is profit to be made with phones made by other manufacturers. Why do you think that Rogers is any different? As a consumer, wouldn't you want more choice? As a major carrier, don't you think Rogers should be offering the latest security-focused phone for its corporate customers (such as Air Canada)?
    As consumer, I buy what I like. Other consumers have been convinced to like something else. OEMs pay salespeople to encourage consumers to like certain devices over different ones.

BBMo was able to convince the other carriers to carry their devices. They don't have enough money to pay Rogers and their salespeople enough to sell their devices...

Protest by supporting a different carrier and buy your device there...
    11-22-17 07:06 PM
    SS7 is a fundamental protocol, the Motion is as vulnerable as any other phone. The difference is that those other phones have customers willing to buy them.
    11-22-17 07:26 PM
    As consumer, I buy what I like. Other consumers have been convinced to like something else. OEMs pay salespeople to encourage consumers to like certain devices over different ones.

BBMo was able to convince the other carriers to carry their devices. They don't have enough money to pay Rogers and their salespeople enough to sell their devices...

Protest by supporting a different carrier and buy your device there...
    Well that's obviously just your opinion; I can't imagine that all the carriers let you in on the specific compensatory details of all the deals that they have struck with all the manufacturers.

Additionally, switching carriers is not always an option for people. I happen to live in an area with better coverage with Rogers than the competition (which I know is rare). It wouldn't be possible to switch in my case.

Anyway, I've said my bit. I just hope that Rogers will see the opportunity to leverage the growing consumer concerns over security and privacy and decide to offer the Motion sooner than later.
    11-22-17 07:32 PM
    Well that's obviously just your opinion; I can't imagine that all the carriers let you in on the specific compensatory details of all the deals that they have struck with all the manufacturers.

Additionally, switching carriers is not always an option for people. I happen to live in an area with better coverage with Rogers than the competition (which I know is rare). It wouldn't be possible to switch in my case.

Anyway, I've said my bit. I just hope that Rogers will see the opportunity to leverage the growing consumer concerns over security and privacy and decide to offer the Motion sooner than later.
    It's not just my opinion. It's what happens in all major retail. Retailers set marketing allowance expectations and manufacturers pay them or merchandise isn't ordered. Go speak with any manufacturer's rep the next time you see one in a grocery store....
    11-22-17 07:49 PM