Any idea why I am getting Spam load up, randomly, on my phone?

I assumed it might have been an app but the last two I loaded, I got rid of. So it can't be that. Attachment 440931
    10-23-18 10:07 AM
    Any idea why I am getting Spam load up, randomly, on my phone?

I assumed it might have been an app but the last two I loaded, I got rid of. So it can't be that. Attachment 440931
    It can only come from an app. If it left something behind, you may have to do a factory reset.

It's more likely than an update to one of your existing apps added an additional advertising component. I would keep investigating.
    towngirl likes this.
    10-23-18 10:10 AM
    This is definetly from some app. Any sort of screen saver/wallpaper apps installed?
    towngirl likes this.
    10-23-18 10:20 AM
    The only two new ones were westjet and some puppy training. I got rid of those. Why didn't it go?
    10-23-18 11:15 AM
    And P.S. I don't use wallpaper / screensave apps.
    10-23-18 11:16 AM
    The only two new ones were westjet and some puppy training. I got rid of those. Why didn't it go?
    Well its not westjet app for sure. Maybe something was left on your device or as someone said, another app got an update and added something.
    towngirl likes this.
    10-23-18 11:16 AM
    Maybe an update. I did do an update on apps.

How do you tell which one? Get rid of them all, I guess.

Mostly, I have photo apps. Must be one of those.

Pain in the ...
    lol

Thanks
    10-23-18 11:25 AM
    Maybe an update. I did do an update on apps.

How do you tell which one? Get rid of them all, I guess.

Mostly, I have photo apps. Must be one of those.

Pain in the ...
    lol

Thanks
    Hard to tell really. What kind of photo apps do you have?
    10-23-18 03:46 PM
    Mostly photo.

I didn't have this come up last week. And the only two new apps I had, I got rid of.
    10-23-18 03:52 PM
    a rogue app probably has 'Display/Draw Over Other Apps' permission and is using it to throw up ads. Frequent candidates are utilities and other apps that advertise they offer better battery/memory or some other performance enhancement.

more info about this permission here https://www.howtogeek.com/271519/how...or-on-android/

After you find a suspected app that has the permission (it may be required for function reasons) filter recent reviews in the Playstore and see if you see complaints

If its some other app please let the class know.
    towngirl likes this.
    10-23-18 05:07 PM
    Mostly photo.

I didn't have this come up last week. And the only two new apps I had, I got rid of.
    You could also post screen shots of your app drawer in here showing all your apps and maybe someone will see something that might be it. I know its a pain but only other way is to invetigate yourself with apps. There won't be many to go through as you can usually discount standard apps. I would look at what the poster above mentioned or any games app, or free excercise apps (I know one person who had issues with a apps workout app).
    10-23-18 05:15 PM
    The app drawer would take a lot of posts lol

a rogue app probably has 'Display/Draw Over Other Apps' permission and is using it to throw up ads. Frequent candidates are utilities and other apps that advertise they offer better battery/memory or some other performance enhancement.

more info about this permission here https://www.howtogeek.com/271519/how...or-on-android/

After you find a suspected app that has the permission (it may be required for function reasons) filter recent reviews in the Playstore and see if you see complaints

If its some other app please let the class know.
    I was surprised at how many there are. Lots of BB apps, too.

I took off a few which I thought might give me trouble and I will see what that does. Most were photo apps.

The few already deleted, didn't work as I just got the spam following the inst. on this.
    10-23-18 07:10 PM
    Oh.. ticketmaster. I forgot I added that. Maybe that was it but it wasn't on the 'Display/Draw Over Other Apps', though
    10-23-18 07:12 PM
    The app drawer would take a lot of posts lol

I was surprised at how many there are. Lots of BB apps, too.

I took off a few which I thought might give me trouble and I will see what that does. Most were photo apps.

The few already deleted, didn't work as I just got the spam following the inst. on this.
    there are legit uses for that permission but I just turn it off for all apps for which I could never think of a reason it would need a app window to interrupt. You could turn it off for everything except BB and Google apps and then see how it goes for example.
    towngirl likes this.
    10-23-18 07:42 PM
    there are legit uses for that permission but I just turn it off for all apps for which I could never think of a reason it would need a app window to interrupt. You could turn it off for everything except BB and Google apps and then see how it goes for example.
    If I can turn it off, and it doesn't affect them, I should do it. Good idea!
    10-23-18 08:10 PM
    I turned all off, except BB and Google. Restarted. And I am still getting them so it must be something else than "draw over other apps"
    10-24-18 07:35 AM
    I turned all off, except BB and Google. Restarted. And I am still getting them so it must be something else than "draw over other apps"
    You just have to find the culprit app and remove it. It will be a free app most likely. Not sure that helps much. I would check, screen saver apps, battery savers, cache cleaners, and certainly games. There are more obviously but would start there.
    towngirl likes this.
    10-24-18 08:42 AM
    I never use screen saver apps. Battery savers? Like an app? Don’t believe I have one. No games. The only thing remotely is ellentube which is off on Draw over other apps.

Cache cleaners? Oh… I should clear the cache! …. Looking up how to do that....
    10-24-18 09:22 AM
    Clearing Cache and data, didn't work.
    10-24-18 11:33 AM
    Clearing Cache and data, didn't work.
    It's an app, and can only be an app. Keep deleting.
    10-24-18 11:37 AM
    Take a pick. Most of them, don't have a problem. The only new ones, are gone.Attachment 440960Attachment 440961Attachment 440962Attachment 440963Attachment 440964
    10-24-18 11:41 AM
    I will delete a few at a time, and see how it goes.
    10-24-18 11:54 AM
    I will delete a few at a time, and see how it goes.
    Start with all those junk Instagram reposting apps. That Image Converter is highly suspect as well based on the Play Store reviews.
    10-24-18 12:10 PM
    Start with all those junk Instagram reposting apps.
    How do I repost? lol

OK, they are gone. And ellentube and converted app (which I had to have to convert a pix to post on CB). And mixtiles ... which seems cool but I have enough pix on my wall
    10-24-18 12:16 PM
    How do I repost? lol

OK, they are gone. And ellentube and converted app (which I had to have to convert a pix to post on CB). And mixtiles ... which seems cool but I have enough pix on my wall
    Find an app you like and pay to remove the ads. That's why they all offer in-app purchases, kill you with ads until you buy.
    brookie229 and towngirl like this.
    10-24-18 01:07 PM
46 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD