11-15-17 03:13 PM
56 123
tools
    Is the Snapdragon 625 processor the fastest out there ?
    10-07-17 12:39 PM
    No. Fastest is one of the Snapdragon 835, Exynos 8895, or Apple A11, depending on what metrics you look at.
    yeo123 likes this.
    10-07-17 12:44 PM
    And hungriest too, when it comes to power consumption.

Nothing is free.
    10-07-17 01:58 PM
    Snapdragon 625 is a mid-range processor.

Comparing mid-range processor, the latest mid-range processor Snapdragon 660 is faster.

Speed is not all that matters, Snapdragon 625 is outdated by 2018 or 2017, in all departments - Bluetooth, Quick Charge, Downlink, etc.

The downlink for Snapdragon 625 is LTE Cat 7 while the downlink for Snapdragon 660 is LTE Cat 12. That's a lot of difference and one can expect LTE Cat 7 to be slower than a LTE Cat 12.

Of course, if you want the best, it will be the flagship processor Snapdragon 835, or equivalent processor from rival companies ( Exynos, Kirin, etc)
    Joao Oliveira likes this.
    10-08-17 02:32 AM
    As others have said, the Snapdragon 625 is certainly not the most powerful processor available but it has been chosen by many OEMs because of its power efficiency. It provides good performance with low power consumption. It's certainly not a 'budget' processor. 😃

8xx Series is generally regarded as the Premium series.
    6xx Series - Mid Range
    4xx Series - Budget range.

That doesn't mean that a 653 processor can't perform better than a 805 processor from the "higher tier". Age of processor also plays a role 😃
    garpt and hemodad like this.
    10-08-17 02:51 AM
    Well. Since it appears to be a mid range processor , I hope BlackBerry doesn't charge 800 processor prices.
    10-08-17 06:59 AM
    Snapdragon 625 is a mid-range processor.

Comparing mid-range processor, the latest mid-range processor Snapdragon 660 is faster.

Speed is not all that matters, Snapdragon 625 is outdated by 2018 or 2017, in all departments - Bluetooth, Quick Charge, Downlink, etc.

The downlink for Snapdragon 625 is LTE Cat 7 while the downlink for Snapdragon 660 is LTE Cat 12. That's a lot of difference and one can expect LTE Cat 7 to be slower than a LTE Cat 12.

Of course, if you want the best, it will be the flagship processor Snapdragon 835, or equivalent processor from rival companies ( Exynos, Kirin, etc)
    Meh.

There's utterly no user-material difference in a mobile phone handset between 40Mbps and 100MBps of transport speed. The real issue in the US, at least, is bandplan -- and which nobody has future-proofed, nor are they likely to for perfectly-legitimate technical reasons.

At the same time there is a very good reason to remain one generation back as a manufacturer: It removes the risk of the sort that became manifest with the 810 series chips, which had serious heat dissipation problems that only showed up once they were on the market. Let someone else take the risk of being hammered if a vendor screws the pooch.
    Bay 13 and garpt like this.
    10-08-17 11:28 AM
    Meh.

There's utterly no user-material difference in a mobile phone handset between 40Mbps and 100MBps of transport speed. The real issue in the US, at least, is bandplan -- and which nobody has future-proofed, nor are they likely to for perfectly-legitimate technical reasons.

At the same time there is a very good reason to remain one generation back as a manufacturer: It removes the risk of the sort that became manifest with the 810 series chips, which had serious heat dissipation problems that only showed up once they were on the market. Let someone else take the risk of being hammered if a vendor screws the pooch.
    Good for you if that's how you feel and prefer to be one generation back
    mister2d likes this.
    10-08-17 10:08 PM
    No where near the fastest soc out there, but definitely one of the most battery efficient one.

Fastest soc as of right now is Apple's A11 Bionic chip.
    10-08-17 10:40 PM
    I found this interesting and the only one, Priv versus K1/Motion (probably?)

Heck, the tride and true 801 in our passports doesn't even pass android standards anymore because it doesn't hold the extra data a 64 capable chip does, even If only using it as a 32, need the extra data now or something. Sounds like a money scheme. I think the 808 proved to us all, highest end chips doesn't always matter and like how BlackBerry is going about this now.

I was always a Keyboard guy but the Motion looks sweet! Hope it's stereo speakers with super Amoled though, didn't check if that info is out yet but it's probably neither. Still looks nice and the old Z30 proved one can have amazing (rich) sound quality with a solo speaker.

Poor BlackBerry I Believe that they tried and delivered everything everybody ever wanted in a phone as much as possible With the priv but between lollipop and the 808 it was doomed. I suspect 810 could of been worse?.... that's why it seems to this day it seems some people just know how to "work" the Priv and others not so much..

 Passport SE  -Working wiDe in 2017+...
    10-08-17 10:47 PM
    Good for you if that's how you feel and prefer to be one generation back
    More like two..... as the SD625 was released in Feb 2016.

Upgraded SD626 was released a year ago now, was a slight improvement over the SD625 and was favored this year.

The replacement SD630 was released about five months ago, and brought a number of improvements to this Qualcomm line. Faster clock speed, but faster buss/memory also, much better GPU and updates to all the tech like Bluetooth, Wi-fi, Modem, eMMC....

Sad thing is a newer lower class SD450 is faster than this once middle grade processor.
    10-09-17 08:53 AM
    So put some thought into this, eh?

Processor released in February 2016.

How long do you wait before doing the integration and layout work for new devices after it releases? You won't know if there are any hidden bombs until six months or so after the first devices release with it, so let's assume you wait at least that long, plus everyone else's lead time to release something. We're now at roughly EOY 2016.

Then you conclude it's ok, because nobody has had anything awful happen. Good! You do your design work and prototypes. It's now April, and you have a prototype handset.

So here we are, six months later from that and the device is being released. It's low-risk for TCL in terms of execution risk and that of any "funnies" showing up in the chipset because they already did most of the work with the KeyONE, and they de-risked there as well by on-purpose not designing in the newest-version CPU that one could get at that instant in time.

Rational? I think it's very rational if you're not interested in being on the bleeding edge. If you are trying to build spec-monster phones then you need to take the risk, but this has turned into a rube's game just as it did with PCs a few years back.

The PC Gamer doesn't see it this way in the PC world, of course, but I sure do. My "primary" workstation currently has a nearly 10 year old motherboard in it -- on which I've stuck two Xeon X5650s in. Can I buy faster? Sure! Can I buy it for anything approaching the $40 I spent for the two processors? Oh hell no, and while I sure would notice the improvement on occasion I'd also notice the well-north of $1,000 hit to my wallet to replace the mainboard, CPU and RAM (of which I have 24GB of ECC in there now) and the actual perceived improvement in performance -- assuming I don't want to play first-person shooter games -- would be modest.

I also avoided (entirely) the risk of getting a bad motherboard design that starts having stability problems a month after I buy it.

I think TCL is doing it right in this regard. The Priv (and other phones released around the same time with the same chip) shows what CAN happen and then you wind up with a device that people quickly find a reason to want to get rid of. That's not so good.....
    tbims01, awindsr and Elky64 like this.
    10-09-17 09:12 AM
    As others have said, the Snapdragon 625 is certainly not the most powerful processor available but it has been chosen by many OEMs because of its power efficiency. It provides good performance with low power consumption. It's certainly not a 'budget' processor. 😃

8xx Series is generally regarded as the Premium series.
    6xx Series - Mid Range
    4xx Series - Budget range.

That doesn't mean that a 653 processor can't perform better than a 805 processor from the "higher tier". Age of processor also plays a role 😃
    The 4xx series is actually still for midrange, the 2xx line is for budget/entry level devices.

https://www.qualcomm.com/news/releas...ocess-enhanced
    10-09-17 11:49 AM
    I think people put way too much in the SoC. How many people out there are using a desktop or a laptop with a one year old processor and are still "getting by"? If you're a spec-head or part of the Bezel Patrol or PPI patrol, then you seriously need a life.
    10-09-17 12:00 PM
    I think people put way too much in the SoC. How many people out there are using a desktop or a laptop with a one year old processor and are still "getting by"? If you're a spec-head or part of the Bezel Patrol or PPI patrol, then you seriously need a life.

Too be honest... I don't think the specs will matter other than reviewers will point out how old they are are how the price isn't competitive. That is a reviewers job. But very few consumer will even know the phone exists

Now people in charge of adding a phone to a Carrier lineup or and an IT department will be considering the specs. They are the ones that have to make the long term decisions about what products to offer or buy. A lot will determine on how much weight is placed on Enterprise's need for BlackBerry's Android Solutions - Security and Apps.
    10-09-17 12:39 PM
    The difference being that a mobile SOC does far more than a desktop CPU, the support lifecycle on mobile (especially Android) is also far shorter than a PC (where CPU's can literally be supported by an OS for 10+ years) so the type of SOC could matter for some.
    10-09-17 12:52 PM
    Desktop and laptop CPUs haven’t progressed nearly as quickly this last decade. Phones are progressing much faster every year. That may slow down in a few more years.
    10-09-17 01:19 PM
    The 4xx series is actually still for midrange, the 2xx line is for budget/entry level devices.

https://www.qualcomm.com/news/releas...ocess-enhanced
    I remember I had one of those Lenovo Yoga 3 tablets (think it was 3 and had 2 pro) and it was newer with awesome build quality yet had the 2 series. It's did everything I needed it to do for media and apps, not a hiccup. Processors are so confusing now. Again, the 808 was horrid in my LG, v10 and I hear the priv.. battery drainer. Big Little my a$$!..

Happy mediums are sometimes best. I mean we got lucky with the 801 being in the Passport as if any old chipset it was going to be, I'd choose the one that's in it! It's all a guess at first I suspect..

Wasn't the 801 a Flagship at the time? I likle the faster quads. Always seemed to run better for me then the octo's but then this is just my personal experience and why had high hopes for the six core processor that flopped. Did they make anymore six cores after the crappy 808 and 810?

10-09-17 04:14 PM
    I remember I had one of those Lenovo Yoga 3 tablets (think it was 3 and had 2 pro) and it was newer with awesome build quality yet had the 2 series. It's did everything I needed it to do for media and apps, not a hiccup. Processors are so confusing now. Again, the 808 was horrid in my LG, v10 and I hear the priv.. battery drainer. Big Little my a$$!..

Happy mediums are sometimes best. I mean we got lucky with the 801 being in the Passport as if any old chipset it was going to be, I'd choose the one that's in it! It's all a guess at first I suspect..

Wasn't the 801 a Flagship at the time? I likle the faster quads. Always seemed to run better for me then the octo's but then this is just my personal experience and why had high hopes for the six core processor that flopped. Did they make anymore six cores after the crappy 808 and 810?

It was still a Flagship processor, but again like the PRIV it was at the end of it's relevance in the market. As is the 625, when most the devices released last half of this year are 626 and 630, then that means the "market" has moved on. I suspect that to make BlackBerry Mobile and it's small potential market profitable, they needed to share as much as possible with the KEYone.
    10-09-17 04:54 PM
    It was still a Flagship processor, but again like the PRIV it was at the end of it's relevance in the market. As is the 625, when most the devices released last half of this year are 626 and 630, then that means the "market" has moved on. I suspect that to make BlackBerry Mobile and it's small potential market profitable, they needed to share as much as possible with the KEYone.
    The 630s are only beginning to hit the market this month - too late for the KEYᵒⁿᵉ/Motion.

I would suspect TCL made a bulk deal for the 625 for both devices. Don't lose any sleep over the 626.
    DreadPirateRegan likes this.
    10-09-17 06:00 PM
    The A11, at least(possibly) until the Kirin 970 arrives with the Huawei Mate 10 Pro, and definitely until the A11X launches in the next iPad Pro.
    10-09-17 06:26 PM
    I wonder if most or even all of the board from the special edition KEYone is shared with the Motion?
    10-09-17 06:50 PM
    almost certainly.
    10-09-17 07:54 PM
    The difference being that a mobile SOC does far more than a desktop CPU, the support lifecycle on mobile (especially Android) is also far shorter than a PC (where CPU's can literally be supported by an OS for 10+ years) so the type of SOC could matter for some.
    Exactly. That guy has no idea what he's talking about. You can't compare phone and desk cpu to each other.
    10-09-17 07:58 PM
    Exactly. That guy has no idea what he's talking about. You can't compare phone and desk cpu to each other.
    Meh.

I was probably programming in Z80 and PDP-11 assembler when you were trying to figure out how to spell "program" and I also have several personal AOSP Android ports (due to the manufacturer deciding not update the device) under my belt too, all the way back to the Samsung Vibrant in the Froyo days (remember that one?)
    10-09-17 09:23 PM
56 123