I have used 3 SanDisk SD Cards - 200,128,64 GB - Extreme, Extreme Pro and Ultra as expanded Internal Storage on Motion since December 2017 but unfortunately all 3 Cards failed after a few weeks each time. Finally, I resorted to using the SD card as a Portable Storage without any problems.

Please share your experience with SD card as Internal Storage on Motion. Are there any known issues? Or any particular trick to make them work without them failing / getting corrupt and un-usable? 32 GB of system storage frequently falls short and I would love to have the option of SD card as Internal Storage working without any problems.
    07-08-18 07:55 AM
    I have used 3 SanDisk SD Cards - 200,128,64 GB - Extreme, Extreme Pro and Ultra as expanded Internal Storage on Motion since December 2017 but unfortunately all 3 Cards failed after a few weeks each time. Finally, I resorted to using the SD card as a Portable Storage without any problems.

Please share your experience with SD card as Internal Storage on Motion. Are there any known issues? Or any particular trick to make them work without them failing / getting corrupt and un-usable? 32 GB of system storage frequently falls short and I would love to have the option of SD card as Internal Storage working without any problems.
    I would never use adoptable storage. Too high a risk of irrecoverable errors.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    07-08-18 08:11 AM
    Chuck, “the not an IT guy here”, and I remember that LG had blocked the ability to use the feature on phones when this became available partly because of issues like this, or so claimed...
    07-08-18 08:14 AM
    Using on three devices -- including my Motion -- no issues so far.
    07-09-18 07:54 AM
    I had 2 Samsung 64GB go south on me. Didn't matter if it was internal or portable. I currently have an 8GB San disk as portable. No issues on my Motion.

I personally like the internal memory idea but I am concerned about any further issues.
    07-09-18 07:50 PM
    main issues are its slower and less reliable. Can't really backup the SD card either and have it work from the backup to a new card.
    07-09-18 08:07 PM
    Please see the following article. Everything you need to know about your SD card and Adoptable storage https://www.androidcentral.com/adoptable-storage
    07-10-18 03:16 AM
    main issues are its slower and less reliable. Can't really backup the SD card either and have it work from the backup to a new card.
    Not experiencing slower and never had an SD card go south. Not sure I understand idea of needing to backup to an SD card AND fear of SD cards tanking. I backup to my dropbox. Plus Google does a great job at backing stuff up anyway. In fact, considering all the backup options available, not sure why one would NOT use their SD card as internal.
    07-10-18 04:33 AM

So the general consensus ( based on the comments here and the link shared by @laura) is that it is not recommended to use a SD card as Adoptable / Internal Storage.

Brings me to the question that what are the best ways to maximise the phone's storage of 32GB ? Are there any methods to keep media from messaging apps like Whatsapp, Telegram, Viber etc on the Portable SD card by default?
    07-10-18 05:00 AM
    Again, still waiting for a logical reason not to use SD as internal. Remember, people who have issues come to these forums. So there's a general consensus of people who have issues that... they have issues.
    07-10-18 07:47 AM
    Hey, Scrannel, I had an issue. I too thought it made good sense to use it as internal (on my Priv), then one day the phone started acting wonky. Various programs wouldn't start up or operate properly. Discovered the SD card had gone bad, so that some critical files couldn't be accessed. Solution was a factory reset, replacement of the SD card, and switching to external storage. Not the end of the world, but a bit of a PITA.

That said, I had previously set up my wife's Priv as internal storage and she's had no problems in the 18 months she's had it. So it might be just fine, but it's not a risk I'm willing to take again.
    07-10-18 02:04 PM
    Not experiencing slower and never had an SD card go south. Not sure I understand idea of needing to backup to an SD card AND fear of SD cards tanking. I backup to my dropbox. Plus Google does a great job at backing stuff up anyway. In fact, considering all the backup options available, not sure why one would NOT use their SD card as internal.
    its a fact that SD card are slower than internal just by spec. If you don't notice it then it works for your use case. Adoptable storage wasn't meant for modern flagship level phones, it was meant for developing countries/first time users so one could get into the Google ecosystem via a cheaper phone and then expand later.

Failure is indeed higher just due to adding more variables: from the actual card itself to the OS recognizing it to physical things like contacts. While true that recovery via a total factory reset with a new card is possible you'll still probably be missing things on a per app basis unless the individual developers store everything of theirs in the cloud too. Also, probably because of their BB device history some BB users distrust cloud backup.
    07-10-18 07:26 PM
    I just got my Motion on Saturday. I have a 256GB SD installed in it. I want to store files, pictures, videos, and music on it. How do I set it up to do that by default so that my internal storage is used by my apps? I filled up a 64GB SD on my Priv with that stuff, part of the reason I moved to a Motion (and also because I changed carriers).
    07-10-18 09:03 PM
    Though most of my work is in and out of cloud, there is one crucial app (crucial for me) that requires a large file to be pulled from cloud, stuck into phone storage with no option to use portable SD card. The difference between working on this file with an adopted SD card is quite noticeable. BB Users mistrust Cloud...? Developing countries...? Well, I must confess, I do splatter chicken blood on my phone before adopting an SD card.

Better link

https://source.android.com/devices/storage/adoptable
    07-10-18 09:13 PM
    Though most of my work is in and out of cloud, there is one crucial app (crucial for me) that requires a large file to be pulled from cloud, stuck into phone storage with no option to use portable SD card. The difference between working on this file with an adopted SD card is quite noticeable. BB Users mistrust Cloud...? Developing countries...? Well, I must confess, I do splatter chicken blood on my phone before adopting an SD card.
    Moose’s blood is supposed to be more effective with BB hardware.
    07-10-18 09:17 PM
    Again, still waiting for a logical reason not to use SD as internal. Remember, people who have issues come to these forums. So there's a general consensus of people who have issues that... they have issues.
    If something happens to your phone, and you have to replace it, you lose everything on your SD. It is tied to the phone. Likewise, if you have to do a factory reset, you will lose everything on the card.
    07-13-18 08:59 PM
    If something happens to your phone, and you have to replace it, you lose everything on your SD. It is tied to the phone. Likewise, if you have to do a factory reset, you will lose everything on the card.
    Sure, but if something happens to your portable SD card you loose everything as well. Assuming you back up, either way you lose nothing.
    07-13-18 09:50 PM
    Sure, but if something happens to your portable SD card you loose everything as well. Assuming you back up, either way you lose nothing.
    No, if something happens to your phone, and you have to replace it, if you are using the SD as removable storage, you simply take the card out, and put it in your new phone. The same is true if you have to factory reset the phone, you can still use it. You cannot with it as adoptable storage, you cannot recover the data.
    07-13-18 10:16 PM
    No, if something happens to your phone, and you have to replace it, if you are using the SD as removable storage, you simply take the card out, and put it in your new phone. The same is true if you have to factory reset the phone, you can still use it. You cannot with it as adoptable storage, you cannot recover the data.
    Of course I am presuming that portable or adoptable you are backing up your data. Sure if your phone goes south... but you could also get hit by an asteroid. Both unlikely.
    07-13-18 10:40 PM
    Of course I am presuming that portable or adoptable you are backing up your data. Sure if your phone goes south... but you could also get hit by an asteroid. Both unlikely.
    You asked a question, I gave an answer. What you do with it is up to you, but you may want to read these threads.

https://forums.crackberry.com/genera.../#post13206017

https://forums.crackberry.com/blackb.../#post13196926

https://forums.crackberry.com/ask-qu.../#post13183702

https://forums.crackberry.com/blackb.../#post13153777

https://forums.crackberry.com/blackb.../#post13150726

https://forums.crackberry.com/blackb.../#post13139659

https://forums.crackberry.com/blackb.../#post13073273

https://forums.crackberry.com/blackb.../#post13015242
    07-13-18 11:36 PM
    Have read most of those before I decided to go with adoptable. Here's the situation: virtually all data can be backed up these days. Thus it becomes a question of how much "internal" memory a user needs. Due to large files I sometimes use in my work, the more the better. Since these files cannot be used from a portable SD, since I back up everything of import to Dropbox, and since Google is incredibly good at backing up your data and apps anyway... the risks seem exaggerated. As usual.
    07-14-18 07:55 AM

I had experienced ,phone's features will sluggish ,if external SD card as internal storage.
    07-16-18 07:05 AM
    My most important use of SD as internal is a tablet running a Sandisk extreme (64), have had for over a year w/o issue. It's the one of my three internal SD card devices that gets by far the most use. I don't use it for games, but to load large files for writing. Not sure what you're doing to kill SD cards. FWIW, before I starting using mine internal, went on a couple of Android forums and did not find a rash of failed SD cards.

A2 format...

https://www.pcmag.com/news/359490/sa...for-your-phone
    Last edited by scrannel; 07-16-18 at 09:23 PM.
    07-16-18 08:55 PM