Pet rocks were a fad that gave people pleasure. Great marketing for a hilarious product. But if it hadn't sold in its test markets, you would never have heard of it.

You're looking at successful products and claiming that if unsuccessful products spent the same on advertising they would be just as successful. If that's the case, why didn't we see "Pet Dirt" or "Pet Sticks" do just as well?

Z10 = BB10 + VKB > iOS + Android
    People bought pet rocks and Chia Pets. Apple made swiping cool and efficient without a home button. Blackberry and Blackberry 10 were light years ahead in '13 and it was "confusing" and hard for people to get used too. People need a "home button" and back keys... (well until they don't)
    01-18-20 11:22 AM
    The problem is that BlackBerry name is too negatively associated for most consumers from it’s extreme successful brand placement of 2000’s as non-consumer device.

Spending advertising money on BlackBerry PKB would be like advertising Trojan brand children’s bandaids.
    01-18-20 11:54 AM
    Spending advertising money on BlackBerry PKB would be like advertising Trojan brand children’s bandaids.
    I nominate this for the inaugural "Analogy of the Week" award.

Bbnivende likes this.
    01-18-20 11:56 AM

Absolute brilliance
    01-18-20 12:09 PM
    Hence why the PKB may have an even better chance of survival if the blackberry name stays far away from it
    01-18-20 06:58 PM
    Hence why the PKB may have an even better chance of survival if the blackberry name stays far away from it
    The market viability of PKBs is dependent on new people choosing to use them. IMO, the problem with the current situation is that the PKBs, at best, are only integrated into Android at a very superficial level and are not supported in any meaningful way by app developers. So, I don't see anything Seay or interesting to attract new users.

Without the spark of new innovation, the best we can expect are niche retro chic boutique efforts as the number of PKB diehards dwindles.

Laura Knotek and Bbnivende like this.
    01-18-20 08:36 PM
    If BlackBerry had gone bankrupt in 2013/2014.... that might have left some void that an OEM might have taught to fill - beyond clip on accessories.

But 2020? I suspect the KEY2 and LE will be the best options for PKB lover for a while yet. Past that point, we will see....
    01-20-20 09:08 AM
    Ok,

The XCover Pro is not a BlackBerry 10 or even a BlackBerry Android phone, but there's not much we can do about that. But, if you like the Motion design and form factor, this may be a reasonable option. Rugged, mid-range, reputable OEM, IP68, 4GB/64GB, 6.3-inch 1080p LCD, with two programmable buttons and a REMOVABLE BATTERY. Estimated price will be about $500-550 US. Those of you who want an AMOLED screen, lower price point, or higher performance specs will need to look elsewhere, but this looks like a very decent work phone to me. I really like that it should not require a case for everyday protection.

Would any of you Motion owners consider this phone?
    Yes. I'm planning on getting one when they come out.
    03-25-20 02:52 AM
58 123