Ok,

The XCover Pro is not a BlackBerry 10 or even a BlackBerry Android phone, but there's not much we can do about that. But, if you like the Motion design and form factor, this may be a reasonable option. Rugged, mid-range, reputable OEM, IP68, 4GB/64GB, 6.3-inch 1080p LCD, with two programmable buttons and a REMOVABLE BATTERY. Estimated price will be about $500-550 US. Those of you who want an AMOLED screen, lower price point, or higher performance specs will need to look elsewhere, but this looks like a very decent work phone to me. I really like that it should not require a case for everyday protection.

Would any of you Motion owners consider this phone?
    Ingvar Tsibylski likes this.
    01-12-20 09:57 AM
    Not a Motion owner but I’d consider it within a carrier lineup scenario.
    01-12-20 10:05 AM
    You didn't mention the weight of this thing
    01-12-20 11:51 AM
    Less than fabled Titan right?
    anon(10599419) likes this.
    01-12-20 11:58 AM
    I'm intrigued. I picked up an S10e (Exynos) on Friday and while the compact form factor and snappiness of the device is great, the battery performance is NOT IMPRESSIVE. I've done a factory reset and will give the phone another week to see how it fares and if it can't hang, back it goes. Makes me really appreciate just how awesome BlackBerrys are.

As for the XCover Pro, I'm intrigued. It's a bit on the heavy side but only 20 mg heavier than my Note8. And compared to my Titan, it's practically a featherweight.
    01-12-20 12:10 PM
    I didn't because I didn't see it, and I generally see weight as a plus, within reason. But any rugged phone is going to weigh more, and have bigger bezels, for that matter. The same was true of the Motion.

From the screen of my trusty Z10 using the exceptional BlackBerry VKB.
    01-12-20 12:20 PM
    I didn't because I didn't see it, and I generally see weight as a plus, within reason. But any rugged phone is going to weigh more, and have bigger bezels, for that matter. The same was true of the Motion.

218g - https://news.samsung.com/us/samsung-...-for-business/

Samsung's XCover Pro May Be the Best Motion Replacement Option-screen-shot-2020-01-12-11.42.16-am.png

In select markets, The Galaxy XCover Pro will be available as an Enterprise Edition, providing two years of market availability and four years of security updates to ensure business continuity.
    Grungni and Laura Knotek like this.
    01-12-20 12:40 PM
    So, 38g (1.3 oz) more than a KEYone. If the XCoverPro let's you avoid a case, you might come out ahead.

Laura Knotek likes this.
    01-12-20 12:52 PM
    I'm intrigued. I picked up an S10e (Exynos) on Friday and while the compact form factor and snappiness of the device is great, the battery performance is NOT IMPRESSIVE. I've done a factory reset and will give the phone another week to see how it fares and if it can't hang, back it goes. Makes me really appreciate just how awesome BlackBerrys are.

As for the XCover Pro, I'm intrigued. It's a bit on the heavy side but only 20 mg heavier than my Note8. And compared to my Titan, it's practically a featherweight.
    Can you return it and get the Snapdragon variant?

Because for that phone, it's known that the Snapdragon ones are more power efficient
    01-12-20 03:47 PM
    So, 38g (1.3 oz) more than a KEYone. If the XCoverPro let's you avoid a case, you might come out ahead.

Too heavy, it would have been okay if it was the size of an S10e but that's not the case, it's yet another gigantic slab.
    01-12-20 03:48 PM
    Too heavy, it would have been okay if it was the size of an S10e but that's not the case, it's yet another gigantic slab.
    Totally agree it's too large, but not too heavy for me.

01-12-20 05:04 PM
    Can you return it and get the Snapdragon variant?

Because for that phone, it's known that the Snapdragon ones are more power efficient
    I would love to have gotten the snapdragon variant, but needed the dual SIM. North America needs to get with the program... screw the carriers and bring true global phones to the market!!!
    Jake2826 likes this.
    01-12-20 05:07 PM
    I would love to have gotten the snapdragon variant, but needed the dual SIM. North America needs to get with the program... screw the carriers and bring true global phones to the market!!!
    Ah, I see.

And I guess having two Sims in there doesn't help with the battery life either.

Maybe return it and get an S10 which will have about 300mAh extra juice?
    01-12-20 05:14 PM
    Ah, I see.

And I guess having two Sims in there doesn't help with the battery life either.

Maybe return it and get an S10 which will have about 300mAh extra juice?
    I thought about it. But will the extra juice really improve the battery life having to power the larger screen?

Having owned the Note8 and now S10e, I've concluded that while OneUI is much better than Touchwhiz, my preference will always be to go with stock (or as close to stock) Android.

Hoping the 2020 lineup of Android One devices presents some compelling dual Sim options.
    01-12-20 06:04 PM
    I thought about it. But will the extra juice really improve the battery life having to power the larger screen?

Having owned the Note8 and now S10e, I've concluded that while OneUI is much better than Touchwhiz, my preference will always be to go with stock (or as close to stock) Android.

Hoping the 2020 lineup of Android One devices presents some compelling dual Sim options.
    So you’re hoping for a dual sim 4b ?
    01-12-20 06:14 PM

Well, according to this comparison here, the S10 only has a 6.1" display as opposed to the S10e's 5.8".

That's a tiny difference of .3", with a whole 300mAh to power it.

However, the S10e is very very attractive in a world of gigantic phablets, and it's about 7mm shorter than the S10.

https://m.gsmarena.com/compare.php3?...&idPhone2=9536
    01-12-20 06:31 PM
    This phone strikes me as the type of phone that the OEM makes without adequate thought to whether the intended market actually wants this phone. The sturdy phone market is fairly niche and a Otterbox seems to satisfy most end users.

The Motion with or without carrier support had so few takers that really it can not be replaced. It barely existed.

Troy’s dictum seems to be that no OEM would make a phone that would sell less than one million units but maybe this phone might be the exception.
    01-12-20 07:31 PM
    Troy’s dictum seems to be that no OEM would make a phone that would sell less than one million units but maybe this phone might be the exception.
    The exception would be a market leader looking to cover all major niches. Samsung has the size, resources, and corporate trust to make this attractive to construction companies and others looking for a rugged phone without sacrificing features, quality, or support. They also have the efficiencies of scale to make it profitable at a lower volume, unlike most other players. A smaller company with a much smaller slice of the market can't afford smaller volumes - they have to make mainstream products that have wide appeal, or at the very least, target a niche that is large enough to be profitable. There are very, very few such niches anymore - mainstream phones are too good at everything to allow many niches to remain.
    01-13-20 12:28 AM
    Bullitt Group is one I taught might move to offer a PKB....

I suspect this move by Samsung will place even more pressure on them to find other ways to attract customers... or to just shut down.
    01-13-20 07:06 AM
    This phone is very much designed for team use, with the programmable buttons perfectly set up for walkie talkie functions. I can see it being used in both industrial and field environments (first responders/military/etc.

Laura Knotek likes this.
    01-13-20 07:35 AM
    The exception would be a market leader looking to cover all major niches. Samsung has the size, resources, and corporate trust to make this attractive to construction companies and others looking for a rugged phone without sacrificing features, quality, or support. They also have the efficiencies of scale to make it profitable at a lower volume, unlike most other players. A smaller company with a much smaller slice of the market can't afford smaller volumes - they have to make mainstream products that have wide appeal, or at the very least, target a niche that is large enough to be profitable. There are very, very few such niches anymore - mainstream phones are too good at everything to allow many niches to remain.
    So Troy’s Dictum 2.0 might suggest that a Samsung PKB might be theoretically possible.

Not sure that Samsung would want to deal with such “engaged” customers.
    the_boon and bh7171 like this.
    01-13-20 08:29 AM
    So Troy’s Dictum 2.0 might suggest that a Samsung PKB might be theoretically possible.

Not sure that Samsung would want to deal with such “engaged” customers.
    Theoretically possible, yes. Whether it's likely is a whole other matter - based on sales information of other PKBs, and the overall trends.
    01-13-20 12:04 PM
    Theoretically possible, yes. Whether it's likely is a whole other matter - based on sales information of other PKBs, and the overall trends.
    So you’re saying there’s a chance that Samsung could make a PKB device.

Here on CrackBerry, within three hours, that means Samsung is making the next PKB hardware available.

Within six hours, supposed mockups of device will exist along with rumored specs.

Within 12 hours, CB members begin arguing regarding specs and size.

Within 24 hours, CB members claim price is too much for specs and that Samsung has canceled device from all the negativity of certain said members here.
    Last edited by Chuck Finley69; 01-18-20 at 01:29 PM.
    Bbnivende, brookie229 and conite like this.
    01-13-20 12:58 PM
    Exactly.

Samsung has made PKBs in the past - in fact, for a few years, most of their smartphone offerings had PKBs - but they saw their own numbers, they have their own market research, and everyone has seen BB's trajectory with PKB phones, so I doubt it's something they're looking at, and I don't think their market research has a lot of people requesting PKBs from them. Samsung could have kept a PKB phone in their lineup this entire time - and they kept them around until about 2013 - but I just don't think they see the demand. IMO, it's much more likely that a ruggedized phone would be successful, as I think more people would appreciate that. But I can also see a 2-year refresh cycle for the hardware too, as I don't think even that niche is all that big. I guess we'll see.
    01-13-20 02:44 PM
    doesn't look like the tiny fingerprint sensor on the side would be very functional! looks like a textured button.
    01-13-20 10:12 PM
58 123