Does anyone own a Quick Charge 3.0 charger? I'm looking into getting one, as I find many of the older chargers I have around the house to be very slow. I tried charging from the crappy USB port on my surge protector the other night, and took 4 hrs...

Newer 2.4A chargers do a better job. But I'm curious about the QC 3.0. Anyone use this?

I've been reading some reviews on Amazon of the Anker and Aukey models. I really like both brands. But both have some bad reviews with overheating damage. But all the rest are 5 star reviews...
    Carjackd likes this.
    03-12-18 10:26 PM
    I have a few Aukey around the house they work exceptionally well in my BlackBerry Motion
    03-12-18 11:54 PM
    I have a couple of QC3.0 chargers -- one in my car, one on my desk and a third that I travel with. All three do a great job; I have a USB diagnostic device that goes inline, and have confirmed all three "do the right thing" in terms of negotiating both voltage and charge current according to QC3.0 standards.

If the temperatures remain under control all three will crank power in at 3+ amps (!)
    03-13-18 04:06 PM
    well worth the investment
    03-13-18 08:26 PM
    I threw out all non-QC2 chargers about 3 years ago, and about a year ago I started replacing those with QC3 chargers. It's almost insane to use anything else - QC3 not only charges the battery the fastest, it also does so while keeping the battery from getting too hot (running at higher voltages reduces transmission loss to heat in the first place, plus heat protection is part of the spec), so it will maintain the battery's heat much better than a standard "dumb" 2.4A 5V charger. Note too that a QC3 steps down the power through a wide range of voltages and amperages as the battery gets closer to being full, so that it charges the battery more slowly as it nears "full", which again, is much healthier for the battery.

I recommend Aukey or Anker products - well-designed and built and have been trouble-free for me - and as I mentioned recently on another thread, I have paired my chargers with multi-ended charging cables that support MiniUSB, MicroUSB, USB-C, and Lightning Plug, so I can charge virtually any common USB-powered device at any of my charging locations.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...UvbUpU13153325
    03-13-18 11:36 PM
    Those multi-ended cables SOUND good but they are VERY dangerous to your device if you use more than one plug at a time. Simply put, DO NOT DO IT.

The reason is that QC negotiation changes the voltage on the power pins in the cable. If one device commands a change and the other(s) do not have the ability to safely utilize what it is changed to you can damage or destroy the other device. As far as I'm aware this possibility -- more than one charge sink for a given source -- was not envisioned in the specifications and thus you're playing with fire (maybe literally!)

If used solely to avoid carrying multiple cables or adapters that's fine, but as soon as you get tempted to plug more than one device into one port you're asking for serious trouble.
    03-14-18 10:35 AM
    I bought the Akey QC 3.0. Looking forward to giving it a try.

I also bought a USB micro to USB C adapter. I'm curious how fast my old playbook 2.4V charger will charge my Motion with this adapter.
    03-15-18 08:16 PM
    Tested out the aukey 3.0 charger. 24% at 10:15a to 95% at 11:57a.

So I'm happy with that.
    03-17-18 11:43 AM