Heyo BB-Fellows,

I'm using the BB Motion and i wasn't able to change my Device/Network-Name.
    Talking about the android-6cde3daa.... when you check your Router whos connected to your WiFi.

- Running the Android 7.1 Nougat
    - Changed my Bluetooth-Name and my WiFi Direct-Name so far
    - Runned developer-mode to get more options but noone of them gave me acces or even the option itself to change anything more.
    - Deleted and re-entered all network info for my WiFi on Router and BB
    - Restarted Router and BB serveral times to check

No succes so far...
    Any advise?
    01-15-18 12:49 PM
    I'm curious about this too. whenever I connect to my Bluetooth speaker, it says connected to: "BlackBerry BBD100..." kinda annoying, especially since that's not the case with my wife's iphone.
    01-15-18 01:44 PM
    You can change the Bluetooth name but the WiFi "name" is a function of what the device passes to the DHCP server. The string passed to the DHCP server supposed to be unique although there are really no rules on how it's derived as it allows the DHCP server to try to give you the same address you had before, if it's available.

The Bluetooth name is settable (look into the Bluetooth settings; Android allows this to be modified.)
    skilas likes this.
    01-15-18 02:00 PM
    You can change the Bluetooth name but the WiFi "name" is a function of what the device passes to the DHCP server. The string passed to the DHCP server supposed to be unique although there are really no rules on how it's derived as it allows the DHCP server to try to give you the same address you had before, if it's available.

The Bluetooth name is settable (look into the Bluetooth settings; Android allows this to be modified.)
    Solved my problem. Thanks.
    01-15-18 07:19 PM
    the WiFi "name" is a function of what the device passes to the DHCP server
    So you gonna tell me, that i can't change the name with the Motion?

Kinda strange because i know it's possible to re-name with the BB Classic (BB OS 10), IOS and several other none BB androids. (Still talking about the name that showed when you check whos connected to WiFi)

Heres a example:

Is it possibly to change the Device/Network Name?-2kxc332.jpg

RED2 is my old BB Classic running OS10. Here i can change the name as often as i want to - on the phone itself.

But i can't change the the name of the android-7cce....
    Well yes, i could do it on the router. But that wouldn't affect the device itself.
    01-15-18 10:17 PM
    That's not really a "name"; it's a vendor-defined host ID and the only place it's used is by the DHCP server (it's sent when the DHCP request is sent.) The DHCP client spec more-or-less leaves it up to the implementer to determine what it wants to use.

If there's a place on an Android phone to set it I haven't found it yet.
    PowderJockey likes this.
    01-16-18 09:31 AM
    If there's a place on an Android phone to set it I haven't found it yet.
    No, only Bluetooth name can be changed on the Android phone. Not sure if his can be achieved on rooted Android devices...
    01-16-18 09:34 AM
    To root my phone isn't an option.
    Any other ideas?
    01-16-18 12:28 PM
    I don't have a BlackBerry android phone, but I do have a Samsung S8. I was able to change the device name of the S8 by going into "Settings" > "About" > "Device Name". It's not obvious, but it was editable if you tap on that line. I was surprised when I saw I could edit it.

No root here as it's an AT&T phone.

I gave it the name I wanted, and that's how it shows up on my network when connected to my home wi-fi.

This seems to be basic android stuff and shouldn't be specific to Samsung. But, you never know.

Give it a try.

I always changed the device name on my Z10. I never liked that it listed the PIN as a device name on a network by default.
    01-16-18 01:07 PM
    I know exatly what option you mean, i read several times before i consulted you guys here.
    But the BB Motion don't have the "Device Name" - Option, even not if you enable the developer mode.
    01-16-18 01:18 PM
    Maybe BlackBerry hides it then.

I have an old Kindle Fire that I've flashed a Cynogenmod Rom to, and it has an editable Device Name field. I figured if an ASOP based android OS, and a Samsung heavily modified OS both had an editable device name, then they all should.

Guess I was wrong. Sorry I wasn't any help.
    01-16-18 01:34 PM
    No problem, mate - at least you gave it a try.
    Thanks for that!
    01-16-18 01:38 PM
    Yeah it's not common on Android devices; this isn't BlackBerry-specific by any means.
    01-16-18 02:18 PM