They set a sales record a year ago Q2-2019 too though. Small companies are certainly more volatile for sure as COVID has hit them harder than others.

The highest resale value in Android is a good indicator of build quality and customer satisfaction too, so it's hard to reconcile that with a bad couple of quarters and "low brand-loyalty" .

Time will tell.

How do you gauge resell value on something? I see Nokia 7.2 was launched near the end of last year for $349. Best Buy has it for $249... I suspect it's just not worth selling it used when it's already 30% off it's original value.

BankMyCell seems to be USA based, so I don't know how they even got data on Nokia phones? Right now they have seven Nokia phones listed on their site for users to check what they are worth... no one wants them. Think it's a case of faulty data leading to a wrong conclusion - Score had more to do with a lack of data than great build quality of demand for the product.

From reading reviews... they seem to be about average on quality. Nokia's are known for weak imagine processing and under powered devices. Which is why in India the brand is fading. Lot's of competition in the $200 - $400 price range, most with much better specs. But I have no idea on the updates....

Compare Nokia to only Samsung, Moto and LG... they look very good. So I can see them doing better.... If there is enough of a market for $200 - $400 phones here?
    07-13-20 03:06 PM
    How do you gauge resell value on something? I see Nokia 7.2 was launched near the end of last year for $349. Best Buy has it for $249... I suspect it's just not worth selling it used when it's already 30% off it's original value.

BankMyCell seems to be USA based, so I don't know how they even got data on Nokia phones? Right now they have seven Nokia phones listed on their site for users to check what they are worth... no one wants them. Think it's a case of faulty data leading to a wrong conclusion - Score had more to do with a lack of data than great build quality of demand for the product.

From reading reviews... they seem to be about average on quality. Nokia's are known for weak imagine processing and under powered devices. Which is why in India the brand is fading. Lot's of competition in the $200 - $400 price range, most with much better specs. But I have no idea on the updates....

Compare Nokia to only Samsung, Moto and LG... they look very good. So I can see them doing better.... If there is enough of a market for $200 - $400 phones here?
    I'll just repeat what I said before:

"At the end of the day, if there is no room for well-built, exceptionally well-supported, stock Android, non-Chinese phones at various price points, then god help us all."

Google Pixel and Nokia are the only participants in said category, and admittedly neither one is blowing the doors off the sales charts.

People yap about security all of the time, but in then end, they don't seem to care. Some folks here were saying the iPhone SE was going to reshape the landscape because of the long support at a modest price. Obviously there are very few folks in that fold on Android to steal from.
    07-13-20 03:30 PM
    I'll just repeat what I said before:

"At the end of the day, if there is no room for well-built, exceptionally well-supported, stock Android, non-Chinese phones at various price points, then god help us all."

Google Pixel and Nokia are the only participants in said category, and admittedly neither one is blowing the doors off the sales charts.

People yap about security all of the time, but in then end, they don't seem to care. Some folks here were saying the iPhone SE was going to reshape the landscape because of the long support at a modest price. Obviously there are very few folks in that fold on Android to steal from.
    I think most of us have no clue what drives the average smartphone user....

I'm just saying Nokia doesn't have a clear future... and right now it's probably not a great time to be finally getting devices on USA Carriers. Which is probable only because ZTE and Alcatel hasn't made in money selling $100 phones prepaid phones. More and more users are skipping those for either a used phone or a better midgrade phone... that has a "well" known brand behind it.

OnePlus Nord 5G - a good replacement for Motion?-q1-2020-us-smartphone-sales-company.jpg

Doesn't say anything about Nokia as only recently have carriers started offering Nokia phones to fill the gaps left by ZTE and Alcatel. But in the end selling $100 phones hasn't been profitable for anyone.... I doubt it will be for Nokia either. And at this point that all US Carrier seem to want from Noika.

I doubt Carriers want to see only Apple and Samsung.... but promoting Moto, LG and Google phones hasn't gotten them anywhere. Heck I bet I saw more Pixel ads last year than Apple... but marketing didn't help.

Do think it will be sad if in five years the only Android option is either Samsung, or one of three Chinese OEMs. Or maybe some niche phone offered by some group/kickstarter.... that has the phone made it China but without the oversight that bigger players have today.

Maybe Google give up their own hardware and throws some support (money) into Nokia??
    07-14-20 11:26 AM
    I thought Nokia has been bought by a mainland Chinese company? and they are made in China? if so, can't the Chinese government require cooperation for software backdoors and data gathering if they wish?
    07-14-20 02:25 PM
    I thought Nokia has been bought by a mainland Chinese company? and they are made in China? if so, can't the Chinese government require cooperation for software backdoors and data gathering if they wish?
    No the ownership is a "group" of investors mostly from Finland... old Nokia people. Foxconn is who they use to do the manufacturing and distributes HMD products, they are Taiwanese. There is a close relationship between HMD Global and FIH Mobile.... but neither are from China.
    07-14-20 03:49 PM
    Thanks for that info. at least for the moment I can add Nokia to my list of new phone sources for myself. I guess we will see if they can survive or not
    07-14-20 04:05 PM
    Almost wish Google would forget about their own hardware and throw support behind Nokia....

But in the end Android isn't the "product" it is a means to an end.... Google doesn't care as much as some think, if people are running Android, Sailfish, Java, KaiOS or even iOS. As long as they use Chrome, Google Maps and all the other Google product that feed the advertising monster. As can be seen in Google pumping millions into KaiOS and now the $4.5 Billion investment into Reliance Jio....

One good thing for Nokia, is that China and India are becoming less friendly.... might end up helping them to regain some market share going forward.
    07-15-20 09:14 AM
    Nokia and BlackBerry have perception issues due to their pedigree and related perceptions in the consumers' minds. Yes, a successful past can also be a liability! Both brands failed to quickly innovate, re-brand and relaunch themselves as market leaders in the ever evolving world of smartphones. Both brands allowed the new technologies like Android and iOS to capture the lion's share of the market before waking up. Now they are just playing 'catch up'. I am an Indian living in India where Nokia manufactures all their phones and to me and most of the Indians, Nokia is the last(BlackBerry is not even on the list) option to consider while buying a new phone because our market is inundated with plethora of Chinese smartphone brands like OnePlus, Redmi, Oppo, Vivo etc backed up with humongous marketing spends.
    Only the academically knowledgeable customers like Conite can really figure out the value a Nokia phone offers even today over these shady Chinese brands but alas consumers like him are in minority in today's world. Perception, unfortunately, sells better than reality.
    07-17-20 11:34 AM
    Nokia and BlackBerry have perception issues due to their pedigree and related perceptions in the consumers' minds. Yes, a successful past can also be a liability! Both brands failed to quickly innovate, re-brand and relaunch themselves as market leaders in the ever evolving world of smartphones. Both brands allowed the new technologies like Android and iOS to capture the lion's share of the market before waking up. Now they are just playing 'catch up'. I am an Indian living in India where Nokia manufactures all their phones and to me and most of the Indians, Nokia is the last(BlackBerry is not even on the list) option to consider while buying a new phone because our market is inundated with plethora of Chinese smartphone brands like OnePlus, Redmi, Oppo, Vivo etc backed up with humongous marketing spends.
    Only the academically knowledgeable customers like Conite can really figure out the value a Nokia phone offers even today over these shady Chinese brands but alas consumers like him are in minority in today's world. Perception, unfortunately, sells better than reality.
    In the USA.... 88% are buying either Apple, Samsung or LG - none of which are shady Chinese brands. Now what the other 12% are buying... I don't know what.

Now the rest of the world... they do seem happy to buy phones from China. But in a markets like India where the AVERAGE smartphone retails for $159 now.... cheap Chinese phones are going to be popular.
    07-17-20 03:28 PM
    I would look at the Moto G Power. 5000mah battery, Faster Processor, same RAM, better camera. $229 unlocked on Amazon.
    mcgilcoli likes this.
    07-31-20 08:04 AM
    TCL 10L looks like a good replacement also. That's currently selling unlocked for $212 on Amazon. Has 6GB's of RAM and a better processor! Even has the convenience key they baked into our current BlackBerry devices.
    08-01-20 11:13 AM
    I would go with Nokia, Google, Samsung phones for the level of support you will receive... Nokia 8.3, Pixel 4a or A515G all good replacements for the Motion... A51 is available now, the other two will probably be worth waiting for...
    08-01-20 12:26 PM
    The question was if the Nord is a good replacement and I think yes, it is. You get a 5G Smartphone with an Amoled and 90 Hz Display.
    OnePlus showed a good Software Support in the past and I guess they will do in the future.
    bh7171 likes this.
    08-02-20 05:03 AM
    TCL 10L looks like a good replacement also. That's currently selling unlocked for $212 on Amazon. Has 6GB's of RAM and a better processor! Even has the convenience key they baked into our current BlackBerry devices.
    But support is a BIG unknown..... will it get Android 11 and Android 12? How often will it get Patches? How long will it get Patches?
    Based on TCL current track record.... even at $212 it's not worth the risks if they don't keep it updated.

PLEX was the first of these new TCL phones... what patch level is it on?
    08-04-20 09:09 AM
    Just doesn't compare with the Nokia 5.3 at $200 and its 3 years of patches and 2 letter upgrades.
    08-04-20 09:18 AM
    Just doesn't compare with the Nokia 5.3 at $200 and its 3 years of patches and 2 letter upgrades.
    Maybe if enough BlackBerry users become Nokia customers... and they all suggest to Nokia support that they do a retro Nokia PKB style phone.

Even if it cost $100 more, a Nokia 5.3 based "Asha" would be a great deal for PKB lovers - with few other options.

OnePlus Nord 5G - a good replacement for Motion?-nokia-asha-210-large.jpg

Do the whole old school Nokia color line as well....

Drop the tool bar, and if they could get the keyboard.... right.
    08-04-20 09:35 AM
    Thanks for the "heads up", I just changed my order. Appreciate the help, always.
    08-05-20 06:34 AM
    Thanks for the "heads up", I just changed my order. Appreciate the help, always.
    In regards to the Nord I guess it depends on where you live as it's not available in US. Did you check out the 4a? I suspect we will see it on sale in a month or two @ 299. The camera....... 👍😲
    08-07-20 08:52 PM
    In regards to the Nord I guess it depends on where you live as it's not available in US. Did you check out the 4a? I suspect we will see it on sale in a month or two @ 299. The camera....... ������������
    I wouldn't count on that... I think Google already discounted it to account for both COVID and the iPhone SE. For $349 it really is a great deal.... Only specials might be $50 off with activation....
    08-12-20 02:53 PM
    I wouldn't count on that... I think Google already discounted it to account for both COVID and the iPhone SE. For $349 it really is a great deal.... Only specials might be $50 off with activation....
    Your correct about the Pixel 4a being cheaper with activation. It's cheaper if you buy it through Best Buy with activation. I don't know about other outlets.
    08-12-20 07:13 PM
    Bought two Nokia 5.3 phones, one for me and one for my wife. Couldn't be happier. Still using Hub+ services though. My wife also gravitated back to the Hub once she had all her data transferred over. Hard to believe...Android 10...gesture based! I love it! Reminds me of the BB10 days.
    08-20-20 10:54 AM
    Bought two Nokia 5.3 phones, one for me and one for my wife. Couldn't be happier. Still using Hub+ services though. My wife also gravitated back to the Hub once she had all her data transferred over. Hard to believe...Android 10...gesture based! I love it! Reminds me of the BB10 days.
    Those are nice phones and unbeatable value for money... I got a Nokia 9 to play with the camera and like the gesture based stock Android too... I use it alongside my BlackBerry phones... Still find it hard to do without the pkb when I am working hard...
    08-20-20 02:28 PM
    for those of us on Verizon in US, is the Samsung A71 the only currently available Motion-like alternative? and I'd rather stay away from made in China phones. thanks.
    08-20-20 02:44 PM
    for those of us on Verizon in US, is the Samsung A71 the only currently available Motion-like alternative? and I'd rather stay away from made in China phones. thanks.
    The A51 is a closer match.
    08-20-20 03:40 PM
    thanks!
    08-20-20 06:32 PM
50 12