OnePlus Nord 5G at $500/550 with 12GB RAM and 256GB storage, 6 cameras, 90HZ Refresh rate and a 4115mAh 30W fast charging battery seems like a good replacement for Motion. Any views?

https://www.phonearena.com/news/onep...meras_id125830
    07-10-20 03:33 AM
    OnePlus Nord 5G at $500/550 with 12GB RAM and 256GB storage, 6 cameras, 90HZ Refresh rate and a 4115mAh 30W fast charging battery seems like a good replacement for Motion. Any views?

In terms of actual capability, the $199 Nokia 5.3 is a much closer match.

https://www.gsmarena.com/nokia_5_3-10117.php
    Last edited by conite; 07-10-20 at 08:04 AM.
    John Albert likes this.
    07-10-20 03:42 AM

Great upgrade....
    07-10-20 07:50 AM
    In terms of actual capability, the $199 Nokia 5.3 is a much closer match.

https://www.gsmarena.com/nokia_5_3-10117.php
    Nice looking device and great price, the only thing I'd be somewhat disappointed with is the LCD screen.
    07-10-20 08:20 AM
    Nice looking device and great price, the only thing I'd be somewhat disappointed with is the LCD screen.
    I guess that at $199, something has to give. But I have two of them, and it's actually quite nice.

The other nice thing is that it's guaranteed to get Android 11 and Android 12, and three years of security patches.
    07-10-20 08:26 AM
    I guess that at $199, something has to give. But I have two of them, and it's actually quite nice.

The other nice thing is that it's guaranteed to get Android 11 and Android 12, and three years of security patches.
    Interesting.
    How much SOT are you getting on a full charge cycle versus your Key²?
    07-10-20 11:03 AM
    Interesting.
    How much SOT are you getting on a full charge cycle versus your Key²?
    Give me a few more days to tell, but the 4000mAh battery seems a beast so far.
    07-10-20 11:20 AM

Crazy. Damn near impossible to beat value, performance (SOC), battery and support. How are the cameras?
    07-10-20 03:05 PM

I read the NORD is not a North American release device. Also hasn't One Plus had its shares of iffy security issues?

The mid tier is getting insanely competitive..
    07-10-20 03:07 PM
    Crazy. Damn near impossible to beat value, performance (SOC), battery and support. How are the cameras?
    As good or better than you would expect from a mid-range.
    07-10-20 03:46 PM
    As good or better than you would expect from a mid-range.
    That's phenomenal. 199 for this device (just hit up Nokia's site and Amazon) and Android 11 and 12 guaranteed is top notch.

I hope these newer offerings put a tremendous amount of pressure on other Android OEM's to support longer.

If I were in the market for a new slab I would definitely support them and this device.

I have been pretty impressed by Samsung's A series, especially the A51 and A71 but this Nokia seems in the same realm and half the cost of the A71.

So interesting in the mobile handset business right now. Now 1500 dollar devices and 199 that will do everything albeit marginally slower in real world usage and use cases. 🤯
    07-10-20 03:56 PM
    That's phenomenal. 199 for this device (just hit up Nokia's site and Amazon) and Android 11 and 12 guaranteed is top notch.

I hope these newer offerings put a tremendous amount of pressure on other Android OEM's to support longer.

If I were in the market for a new slab I would definitely support them and this device.

I have been pretty impressed by Samsung's A series, especially the A51 and A71 but this Nokia seems in the same realm and half the cost of the A71.

So interesting in the mobile handset business right now. Now 1500 dollar devices and 199 that will do everything albeit marginally slower in real world usage and use cases. ������
    I think it’s more likely that it will encourage OEMs to leave the space as I don’t believe the low margins can be sustainable long-term with so many players.
    07-10-20 05:48 PM
    Does the Nodia 5.3 support WPA3?
    07-11-20 06:25 AM
    I think it’s more likely that it will encourage OEMs to leave the space as I don’t believe the low margins can be sustainable long-term with so many players.
    Low margins... or no margins? After three years HMD just made their first profits (before taxes - so after taxes they are probably still in the red). But most of their revenue is on feature phones not smartphone phones. I do have hopes for the Nokia brand in the US, I could see it taking TCL place for entry level devices and maybe moving up... but at some point a business has to work like a business. Those private investors gambling on the Nokia name and a future IPO, won't keep throwing money at HMD forever.... three years is usually as far as things go. But this isn't going to be a good year for anyone in smartphones....

Samsung is the safer bet...
    07-13-20 09:15 AM
    Low margins... or no margins? After three years HMD just made their first profits (before taxes - so after taxes they are probably still in the red). But most of their revenue is on feature phones not smartphone phones. I do have hopes for the Nokia brand in the US, I could see it taking TCL place for entry level devices and maybe moving up... but at some point a business has to work like a business. Those private investors gambling on the Nokia name and a future IPO, won't keep throwing money at HMD forever.... three years is usually as far as things go. But this isn't going to be a good year for anyone in smartphones....

Samsung is the safer bet...
    Nokia has much better software support for low and mid level devices than Samsung.

Regardless of how things go, I'm not worried about HMD Global, or their commitment to Android One, over the next 3 years. After that is anyone's guess.
    07-13-20 09:25 AM
    Nokia has much better software support for low and mid level devices than Samsung.

Regardless of how things go, I'm not worried about HMD Global, or their commitment to Android One, over the next 3 years. After that is anyone's guess.
    Two years ago, you weren't worried about BBMo and Google's Android Recommended either.... but your KEY2 is stuck on a 2017 version of Android and it won't get a third year of updates. You might have come to accept that, but it not what you were telling everyone.

I really don't know if HMD Global will be around in three year or not... just pointing out that they are no better off than LG, Sony or Lenovo/Motorola.
    Last edited by Dunt Dunt Dunt; 07-13-20 at 09:51 AM.
    07-13-20 09:41 AM
    Two years ago, you weren't worried about BBMo and Google's Android Recommended either.... but your KEY2 is stuck on a 2017 version of Android and it won't get a third year of updates. You might have come to accept that, but it not what you were telling everyone.

I really don't know if HMD Global will be around in three year or not... just pointing out that they are no better off than LG, Sony or Lenovo/Motorola.
    That was my own fault with respect to my interpretation of the Enterprise Recommended program and Google's enforcement of said program.

But the fact that TCL actually upheld every one of their commitments bolsters my confidence in HMD Global to adhere to theirs.
    07-13-20 10:06 AM
    That was my own fault with respect to my interpretation of the Enterprise Recommended program and Google's enforcement of said program.

But the fact that TCL actually upheld every one of their commitments bolsters my confidence in HMD Global to adhere to theirs.
    Does HMD Global have the balance sheet to be here in three years?
    07-13-20 11:30 AM
    Does HMD Global have the balance sheet to be here in three years?
    Well, it's a VC-backed privately held company. Hard to tell.
    07-13-20 11:37 AM
    Are there really any guarantees that any company will be around in 3 years. After what's happened in 2020, anything could happen to any company. It's a crapshoot for tech companies imho.
    Troy Tiscareno likes this.
    07-13-20 11:43 AM
    Well, it's a VC-backed privately held company. Hard to tell.
    That’s why I was hoping you had some inside track on information......

Very little information from my channels.....

I suspect this will be more about positive cash flow and exit strategy. Could always sell to another VC with fresh resources at discount.
    07-13-20 11:46 AM
    Are there really any guarantees that any company will be around in 3 years. After what's happened in 2020, anything could happen to any company. It's a crapshoot for tech companies imho.
    That’s why I was hoping you had some inside track on information......

Very little information from my channels.....

I suspect this will be more about positive cash flow and exit strategy. Could always sell to another VC with fresh resources at discount.
    Still lots of positive about Nokia though.

In 2019, they were 2nd behind only iPhone as the highest resale value phones in the world.

With only 900 employees, Android One provided by Google, and Foxconn doing all the manufacturing, their cost structure is very contained.

They are essential a design house (for which they are constantly winning awards) and marketing company.

At the end of the day, if there is no room for well-built, exceptionally well-supported, stock Android, non-Chinese phones at all price ranges, then god help us all.
    Last edited by conite; 07-13-20 at 12:09 PM.
    Gallofa likes this.
    07-13-20 11:48 AM

In 2019, they were 2nd behind only iPhone as the highest resale value phones in the world.

With only 900 employees, Android One provided by Google, and Foxconn doing all the manufacturing, their cost structure is very contained.

They are essential a design house (for which they are constantly winning awards) and marketing company.

At the end of the day, if there is no room for well-built, exceptionally well-supported, stock Android, non-Chinese phones at all price ranges, then god help us all.
    I suspect the incumbents are going to slug this out either way. With AT&T, VZW and T-Mobile, it’s been a mixed bag. T-Mobile has OnePlus, I think. Nokia is above TCL in remaining pecking order with dominating two USA carriers. Should be interesting as long as people still have jobs anymore.
    07-13-20 01:10 PM

Smartphone sales don't look too great....

OnePlus Nord 5G - a good replacement for Motion?-q1-2020-nokia-smartphones.jpeg

They sell four times as many feature phones as smartphone... but they've gone from a high of 20 Million feature phones to only about nine million a quarter now.

And India, is where HMD started their reinvention of Nokia.... the brand loyalty is way down.

OnePlus Nord 5G - a good replacement for Motion?-brand-loyalty-change.jpg

Something wrong when owners of your phones aren't happy enough to buy again.

Don't get me wrong I'd love to see Nokia succeed, much prefer their updated phones than what TCL was trying to push on prepaid and entry level users in the US. Nokia has the whole package....
    Attached Thumbnails OnePlus Nord 5G - a good replacement for Motion?-brand-preference-change.jpg  
    07-13-20 01:24 PM
    Smartphone sales don't look too great....

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Q1-2020-Nokia-smartphones.jpeg 
Views:	34 
Size:	64.0 KB 
ID:	448921

They sell four times as many feature phones as smartphone... but they've gone from a high of 20 Million feature phones to only about nine million a quarter now.

And India, is where HMD started their reinvention of Nokia.... the brand loyalty is way down.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Brand-Loyalty-Change.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	59.8 KB 
ID:	448923

Something wrong when owners of your phones aren't happy enough to buy again.

Don't get me wrong I'd love to see Nokia succeed, much prefer their updated phones than what TCL was trying to push on prepaid and entry level users in the US. Nokia has the whole package....
    They set a sales record a year ago Q2-2019 too though. Small companies are certainly more volatile for sure as COVID has hit them harder than others.

The highest resale value in Android is a good indicator of build quality and customer satisfaction too, so it's hard to reconcile that with a bad couple of quarters and "low brand-loyalty" .

Time will tell.
    07-13-20 01:30 PM
50 12