10-14-18 07:12 PM
134 ... 456
tools
    Coming from Z30 --> DTEK50 and am now a week in; time to record my impressions.

I echo the consensus: build, battery life, speed is impressive; camera and speaker are middling. This is my first fingerprint scanner device and I love the feature. Not bothered by the Motion's chin though I would prefer a smaller form factor a la a DTEK50 or Z30.

My greatest surprise was on the software end: I was disappointed to learn the three "Swipe Shortcuts" that I relied on so often with Marshmallow/DTEK50 are not available on the Motion. Whether it's because of the fingerprint scanner or Nougat I don't know; I should've done more homework.

The swipe gestures and Hub were my favourite aspects of the BB user experience, remnants of BB10 that were be a big selling point in remaining with the brand as it migrated to Android. I ditched the Blackberry Launcher for Nova and am satisfied with the resulting gesture based interactions. It's not the total integration and smoothness of BB10 but I found it better than stock. Mobile computing really lost an elegant and efficient OS with the demise of BB10, enough said on that.

I'm pleased with the Motion but I've concluded this: it will probably be my last Blackberry (branded device). If to achieve BB10 like fluidity I have to ditch Blackberry Android software (the launcher) and opt for third party software any generic Android device will do.
    Bay 13 likes this.
    08-07-18 10:31 AM
    Had Motion for the past 48 hours and very happy with this purchase. Good job Blackberry Mobile/TCL.

1. Build Quality/Hardware: Looks and feel very premium. I love the look of the phone. No problem with bezel with fingerprint/home button. I think Motion looks better than the Iphone7/8 phones with large bezels. A black Blackberry wallpaper from BBM (Background 10) hides the bezels. Those Iphones will be in the wild for the next 4-5 years so the Motion look will not look dated because everyone will keep the Iphones with bezels for a long time. Color palette looks very professional and business like. I heard Flossy Carter (Tech Reviewer) complain about some of the colors of the new Samsung Note 9 (Purple, Blue) options not looking like a business phone. They give you a black and a copper option also.

2. Call Quality & signal strength: So far it has been excellent. Much better than my Priv, DTEK 60 and even better than my LG V20. I would lose signal on my other phones as I drove into my Condo's covered underground garage. The Motion does not lose signal. My calls are very clear.

Camera: Average but is good enough for me. I do not do selfies, post pictures to Facebook or Instagram. Tech reviewers criticize BB Motion camera and compare it the P20 camera. Blackberry Mobile is not trying to compete in that space anyways. Huawei is trying to become known for having the best smartphone camera. I think Blackberry-LTD/Blackberry Mobile should continue to focus on what they are known for... security and software, and not spend resources on what the tech reviewers like. The Locker feature is awesome. I can use it for privacy for confidential docs/photos as I am in the Real Estate business.

Software: Much improved over the Marshmallow Priv, DTEK 60 sofware. Plenty of new features.

Battery Life: Awesome...enuff said. As John Chen would say: It feels good not to be a "Wall Hugger" Always looking for a wall outlet to charge a phone.
    '

Overall, I am very pleased with this phone and will hold onto it until late 2019.
    Last edited by Bay 13; 08-12-18 at 09:19 PM.
    08-12-18 08:29 PM
    what's a Motion does it have a fixed keyboard
    08-13-18 05:26 PM
    Well after long time BlackBerry user then bb10 with z10 .... today I m joining the BlackBerry Motion Team..
    I'm leaving for work and just was delivered, for now I post just the pictures...

Wow I getting " error communicating with the crackberry server"

Posted via CB10
    09-05-18 08:28 AM
    09-05-18 12:39 PM
    OMG! OMG! OMG! I just got my Motion!

While I will admit that the Key 1 and 2 appear to be awesome phones, I have never been a fan of the PKB. My first BB was a Torch because I went for the compromise. Then I went to Z30 (which is the best phone I have ever laid my hands on). I got a Passport as a gift and it was okay, but really, still a PKB and I am not a fan even though I type very well. Both of my BB10 phones crashed with my carrier and I had to resort to buying an Android burner while I waited to upgrade to a Motion. It had to be the Motion because for all the amazing reviews on the Keys I still didn't want a PKB.

I had to use the Android burner for about six weeks and I found it very easy to use; don't understand the issues with the "learning curve." But I am glad I got my BB back. I'm not a BB addict but I hate anything Apple, and Samsung has never been a draw for me despite the fact that I find both of these to have excellent cameras. Still, not a big enough sell for me because my camera is not the most important thing on my phone.

After me and my Motion are better acquainted, I guess I will decide if it is the best VKB ever, or if that honour remains with my Z30. Man, do I love that Z30.

I was planning for weeks to buy my Motion from Smart Image, even though I live in Canada, because it was USD$399. Damn good price even if I had to wait to have somebody bring it over for me. But the stock seemed to have run dry because the re-stock date kept changing and I panicked and bought it from a Canadian seller on Amazon, which was not for a terrible price. Also, with Amazon fulfillment I feel better about getting support if anything should go wrong.

The day after I purchased my Motion, there were no more in stock for $399 and the prices skyrocketed with other sellers, so I held my breath as I waited for mine to be delivered, hoping I wouldn't get a message saying my seller no longer had stock as well. I was so excited when I got it I just let it sit in the box for hours, like a kid waiting to open a present on Xmas morning.

It's a beautiful device and now it's all set up and waiting for me to make the best use of it.
    Elky64 likes this.
    09-09-18 11:38 AM
    9 months ago I started thinking about getting the Motion and it was readily available. When I finally decided to upgrade (z10 to dTek50) to the Motion it was nearly impossible and prices hadn't shifted at all. Well, today it finally happened. I got a barely used Motion from someone in town who was switching to the Key1...so excited! I'm updating it now...then let the games begin!!!

SO HAPPY!
    Elky64 likes this.
    10-14-18 05:03 PM
    9 months ago I started thinking about getting the Motion and it was readily available. When I finally decided to upgrade (z10 to dTek50) to the Motion it was nearly impossible and prices hadn't shifted at all. Well, today it finally happened. I got a barely used Motion from someone in town who was switching to the Key1...so excited! I'm updating it now...then let the games begin!!!

SO HAPPY!
    Congrats and enjoy!
    10-14-18 05:17 PM
    I've had my for about two months. great phone. enjoy!
    10-14-18 07:12 PM
134 ... 456