After lots wondering, fearing, doubting I finally decided to switch from my PRIV to the Motion. The Motion was released in the Netherlands yesterday. So for anyone else thinking of switching, here are my thoughts :

After 3 years using my good old Passport, I knew I needed to switch to BlackBerry Android. So last year, I took a leap of faith and bought a new PRIV on black Friday sale for 299 euro.
    Immediately the device gave me problems. The back was loose, flexible and I was really annoyed by it. That was only the beginning. A dead pixel, Creaking, flexing, overheating, battery draining and lagging with the most basic tasks. I normally use my phone for at least 2 years, but alas. PRIV not receiving an update made me jump ship to the Motion. The problems with the PRIV will not be fixed.

Doubted whether to get the Keyone or the Motion. But I barely used the PRIV's keyboard. So now on the Motion and comparing it with the PRIV.

- The Motion is great looking device! Don't let the images fool you. This is a premium device for a midrange price! The aluminium frame reminds me somewhat of the Passport and the back is a mix of the Q10 and the Z10. Very solid. Much better design than the PRIV.

- The Motion is big thought. And I mean, really big. Like... iPhone 8 Plus big. In that respect, the PRIV has a better form factor imo.

- The camera on the Motion is good. At least on par with the PRIV. Selfie camera on Motion heaps better.

- The software runs waaaaay better on the Motion. Buttery smooth haven't experienced any lag yet.

- The screen on the Motion is fine. On par with the iPhone 8 Plus. But it loses to the vibrant QHD Amoled screen of the PRIV. I will sorrowly miss that beautiful screen.

- Fingerprint reader is a big upgrade comparing to a Pin or picture password. It's very fast.

- Despite not using it much, I still somewhat miss the physical keyboard. I loved that the PRIV gave me a choice. Especially for long emails (or this post) the physical keyboard is just better. I will especially miss the trackpad function.

- Virtual keyboard is better on the Motion. I didn't like typing on the flexing, loose screen of the PRIV

- Battery life on the Motion is hands down the best I have ever experienced on a phone. If I am careful, I think I might be able to last the entire Friday plus weekend on a single charge.

- USB Type C and fast charge is fine

- Motion had IP67, the PRIV not

- No overheating with the Motion not even when updating apps as with the PRIV

- Google Maps is a nightmare on the PRIV. Works fine on the Motion.

In hindsight, the PRIV was actually a nice and unique phone in terms of design, and I will really miss the slider keyboard. But overall, for me, the PRIV was a useless and unreliable device. If TCL could improve the PRIV design and make it as solid as the Motion, maybe I'll return to the slider.

For now with the Motion. If you have any questions regarding the comparison with the PRIV, let me know!
    12-05-17 02:28 PM
    Unlike your experience with the Priv, I had a good unit. My Priv worked very well. But after being on the Motion for a couple of weeks...so long Priv! I'm liking the Motion more and more. The camera on the Priv was better for me though. The selfie camera on the Priv was horrible...much better on the Motion. But the primary camera on the Priv is better than the one on my Motion.

Speaker on the Priv was also better than the speaker on my Motion. But for me, not so much better that I would complain about it.

Responsiveness on the Motion destroys the Priv... absolutely destroys it...and I had a good Priv. Try turning on developer options and knock down the animations...like I did on my Priv. Then the Motion is actually quick.

It's a good phone overall...and I say this even though I have zero use for the privacy locker.

Convenience key I'm warming up to. I have it programmed with WiFi on/off and Bluetooth on/off and the flashlight on/off. Works fine.
    vptsff likes this.
    12-05-17 03:45 PM
    Thanks for sharing your thought about both devices.
    I'm in consideration to buy the Motion or keep using PRIV. I definitely take a look at the Motion.
    12-05-17 03:47 PM
    I currently STILL use the Priv as my work device. The Motion is my personal device. There are a lot of things I prefer on the Motion, but other I miss from the Priv.

Personally my Priv unit has done me well. almost bought a personal one instead for $300cad. Decided to take the gamble with the Motion.

I'm one of those people that never used the pkb on the Priv. Can't stand it. Too much like the Torch, which I hated. I find the vkb on par.

Thing I miss the most? Power button on the left side! I'm always hitting the volume rocker on the Motion when trying to turn on the screen without looking. Stupid.
    12-05-17 03:59 PM
    Unlike your experience with the Priv, I had a good unit. My Priv worked very well. But after being on the Motion for a couple of weeks...so long Priv! I'm liking the Motion more and more. The camera on the Priv was better for me though. The selfie camera on the Priv was horrible...much better on the Motion. But the primary camera on the Priv is better than the one on my Motion.

Speaker on the Priv was also better than the speaker on my Motion. But for me, not so much better that I would complain about it.

Responsiveness on the Motion destroys the Priv... absolutely destroys it...and I had a good Priv. Try turning on developer options and knock down the animations...like I did on my Priv. Then the Motion is actually quick.

It's a good phone overall...and I say this even though I have zero use for the privacy locker.

Convenience key I'm warming up to. I have it programmed with WiFi on/off and Bluetooth on/off and the flashlight on/off. Works fine.
    You are right with the speaker. Sounds a bit tinny.
    12-05-17 04:05 PM
    Battery life is...unbelievable. No comparison whatsoever in that department. I leave home every day for work at 100% and leave work always over 90%. My Priv would be around 70%...maybe on a good day near 80%.
    12-05-17 05:49 PM
    Battery life is...unbelievable. No comparison whatsoever in that department. I leave home every day for work at 100% and leave work always over 90%. My Priv would be around 70%...maybe on a good day near 80%.
    You go to work with 100%, and leave work with 90%?! How is that possible? Do you work 1hr shifts? Do you not use your phone at all during your shift?
    cwalt2166 likes this.
    12-06-17 12:00 AM
    The PRIV always made me worry with the battery. While I could easily get through a working day (remove from the charger at 6.30, it could last through maybe 21.00- 21.30). But sometimes it started overheating and died before I knew it. It's the main reason I was so frustrated with the PRIV.

Now with the Motion, I no longer have that problem. Battery life is something BlackBerry should address more in their marketing
    12-06-17 01:13 AM
    You go to work with 100%, and leave work with 90%?! How is that possible? Do you work 1hr shifts? Do you not use your phone at all during your shift?
    I think as the average person goes, I'm definitely on the lighter side of usage.
    skilas likes this.
    12-06-17 05:54 AM
    When you're in the drive thru, wearing a headset and hanging out the window, it's kind of hard to use any other devices ;-)
    cwalt2166 likes this.
    12-06-17 08:03 AM
    Some of us don't use it as a phone. I have a PRIV and I use it for email and Google Hangouts plus maybe some texting. I use mine as a phone once every two weeks, perhaps?

So, at the end of an 8 hour day I will often have > 70% battery left.
    Also, my office is within eyesight of the cell tower and I don't use WiFi. So, the phone doesn't have to work very hard at all.
    12-06-17 10:02 AM
    after using it for more than 2 days... damn that battery life is just so awesome. unplugged it at 7.00 am and now it is 5.25 pm, so a regular working day. still at 79%... That is just insane. My PRIV was always at 40% if I was lucky. For anyone doubting between PRIV and Motion: it is definitely an upgrade
    12-06-17 10:26 AM
    after using it for more than 2 days... damn that battery life is just so awesome. unplugged it at 7.00 am and now it is 5.25 pm, so a regular working day. still at 79%... That is just insane. My PRIV was always at 40% if I was lucky. For anyone doubting between PRIV and Motion: it is definitely an upgrade
    Can I ask how many push service applications you have running vs. e-mail , facebook , etc.
    My priv use to have amazing battery life at one point and over the last 2 years the phone has become very unresponsive... over heats , freezes etc.

Today I called up Bell Loyality department and said I want the Blackberry Motion I got it on a 2 year plan for 99.00$ that definetly made my day instead of having to buy it out right like i did the PRIV.
    12-06-17 11:16 AM
    Can I ask how many push service applications you have running vs. e-mail , facebook , etc.
    My priv use to have amazing battery life at one point and over the last 2 years the phone has become very unresponsive... over heats , freezes etc.

Today I called up Bell Loyality department and said I want the Blackberry Motion I got it on a 2 year plan for 99.00$ that definetly made my day instead of having to buy it out right like i did the PRIV.
    My PRIV never had 'amazing' battery life but it was fine for a day. Never was able to compete with the mighty Passport which also lasted me 2 days.
    I never actually changed much with the PRIV but at one point the battery just got from bad to worse. I suspect it wasn't running well with Google maps but I'm not sure
    12-06-17 05:01 PM
    Maps on the Priv is a pig -- Google has basically gotten to where Maps expects 4Gb of RAM, and if it doesn't have it then it starts squeezing the phone for other things, which quickly leads to serious performance problems.
    12-06-17 08:04 PM
    Currently typing on my PRIV and I loved the phone for everything but the battery and overheating. It literally gets so hot it turns itself off. It constantly has a warning at the top it's getting too hot and says it's trying to cool down.
    I love the fact people are saying the Motion isn't a lateral move but an improvement. Sure, doesn't sound like it's better in every way but improvement never the less.
    Went to Bell yesterday to play with the Motion. Hard to determine how good a phone is with a floor model but felt good. Looking forward to one day owning one
    12-06-17 08:51 PM
    Currently typing on my PRIV and I loved the phone for everything but the battery and overheating. It literally gets so hot it turns itself off. It constantly has a warning at the top it's getting too hot and says it's trying to cool down.
    I love the fact people are saying the Motion isn't a lateral move but an improvement. Sure, doesn't sound like it's better in every way but improvement never the less.
    Went to Bell yesterday to play with the Motion. Hard to determine how good a phone is with a floor model but felt good. Looking forward to one day owning one
    Not sure if your floor model was a working one, or a dummy. I tried a dummy, and it turned me off of the Motion, because the aluminum was rough at the store. But in real life, it's really smooth. If anything, too smooth. Keeps sliding out of my hands while typing in bed...
    12-07-17 12:04 AM
    Floor model was a working model. couldn't get a good grip on it because of what they use to secure the phone to the wiring. Also, the KeyOne kept setting off it's alarm beside the motion so the Rep kept having to come over and turn it off.
    12-07-17 12:07 AM
    You are right with the speaker. Sounds a bit tinny.
    It wouldn't worry me, I barely use the speakers on mobile devices. Usually connect a device to better speakers or use ear buds :-)
    12-07-17 04:04 AM
    The security patches especially post 2017 killed the Priv with over heating & horrible battery drain.
    12-07-17 04:22 AM
    When you're in the drive thru, wearing a headset and hanging out the window, it's kind of hard to use any other devices ;-)
    Nope...I'm a systems analyst for a manufacturing company. I just don't play with my phone all day long.
    cwalt2166 likes this.
    12-07-17 05:07 AM
    After lots wondering, fearing, doubting I finally decided to switch from my PRIV to the Motion. The Motion was released in the Netherlands yesterday. So for anyone else thinking of switching, here are my thoughts :

After 3 years using my good old Passport, I knew I needed to switch to BlackBerry Android. So last year, I took a leap of faith and bought a new PRIV on black Friday sale for 299 euro.
    Immediately the device gave me problems. The back was loose, flexible and I was really annoyed by it. That was only the beginning. A dead pixel, Creaking, flexing, overheating, battery draining and lagging with the most basic tasks. I normally use my phone for at least 2 years, but alas. PRIV not receiving an update made me jump ship to the Motion. The problems with the PRIV will not be fixed.

Doubted whether to get the Keyone or the Motion. But I barely used the PRIV's keyboard. So now on the Motion and comparing it with the PRIV.

- The Motion is great looking device! Don't let the images fool you. This is a premium device for a midrange price! The aluminium frame reminds me somewhat of the Passport and the back is a mix of the Q10 and the Z10. Very solid. Much better design than the PRIV.

- The Motion is big thought. And I mean, really big. Like... iPhone 8 Plus big. In that respect, the PRIV has a better form factor imo.

- The camera on the Motion is good. At least on par with the PRIV. Selfie camera on Motion heaps better.

- The software runs waaaaay better on the Motion. Buttery smooth haven't experienced any lag yet.

- The screen on the Motion is fine. On par with the iPhone 8 Plus. But it loses to the vibrant QHD Amoled screen of the PRIV. I will sorrowly miss that beautiful screen.

- Fingerprint reader is a big upgrade comparing to a Pin or picture password. It's very fast.

- Despite not using it much, I still somewhat miss the physical keyboard. I loved that the PRIV gave me a choice. Especially for long emails (or this post) the physical keyboard is just better. I will especially miss the trackpad function.

- Virtual keyboard is better on the Motion. I didn't like typing on the flexing, loose screen of the PRIV

- Battery life on the Motion is hands down the best I have ever experienced on a phone. If I am careful, I think I might be able to last the entire Friday plus weekend on a single charge.

- USB Type C and fast charge is fine

- Motion had IP67, the PRIV not

- No overheating with the Motion not even when updating apps as with the PRIV

- Google Maps is a nightmare on the PRIV. Works fine on the Motion.

In hindsight, the PRIV was actually a nice and unique phone in terms of design, and I will really miss the slider keyboard. But overall, for me, the PRIV was a useless and unreliable device. If TCL could improve the PRIV design and make it as solid as the Motion, maybe I'll return to the slider.

For now with the Motion. If you have any questions regarding the comparison with the PRIV, let me know!
    After using PRIV for almost 18 months I upgraded to Motion. Motion for me has been by far a better device as compared to the PRIV. The speed , battery life, the front camera are by far much better than the PRIV. My aging PRIV had serious issues such as overheating, sluggishness, freezing , poor battery life etc etc but Motion surpasses all my latent desires by unleashing some of very good features in the device. Motion is truly a great value for money & it is a device so good that you won't believe it's a BlackBerry.
    I am now using using the Motion as my primary device and my passport as secondary device. The PRIV at the moment goes into one my treasured collections.
    12-07-17 05:10 AM
    Nope...I'm a systems analyst for a manufacturing company. I just don't play with my phone all day long.
    Please note the " ;-) " so to emphasize I wasn't being serious. I will now follow with a LOL to emphasize LOL.........
    valer466 likes this.
    12-07-17 06:34 AM
    Please note the " ;-) " so to emphasize I wasn't being serious. I will now follow with a LOL to emphasize LOL.........
    Oh, OK. I am a light user... but it's a substantial battery life increase from the Priv for sure. I still have my Priv, works perfectly well, but the Motion is so much better, I would never throw my SIM in it and start using it again. My wife may end up with it though.
    12-07-17 07:58 AM
    After playing with my wife's Motion for a few days I'm convinced that I will keep my Passport until it just plain won't work anymore. But, in the Android world the Motion seems like a nice phone and she's very happy with it, coming from a Note3.

Posted via CB10
    skilas likes this.
    12-07-17 08:37 AM
56 123