In terms of my camera needs, basically having kids. I was childless for most of my Z30 days. So the photos I took were mostly for records, or work. I take a lot of photos of stuff just to keep a record of it. And for that, camera can be just ok. Also, I really don't think the Z30 was terrible. As with most cameras, it's all about lighting. I'm looking through my photos from 2014, and obviously they were a mixed bag. Daytime photos were great. Indoors photos just ok. Evening and night photos bad.

But that was 5 years ago. And it's all about expectations.

Now, phone cameras seem to have made huge leaps and bounds. Of course the Motion is not a Flagship phone. It's a mid range phone. So I'm not expecting Pixel quality or anything.

A year ago when I got the Motion, I was concerned about the White Balance in Auto. I was currently using a Priv from work, and transitioning from Z30 to Motion for personal. Here's a link to that thread where I was posting comparison photos. The summary was that Motion consistently took cooler photos, and I started adjusting the White Balance in Manual to get shots closer to reality.
    https://forums.crackberry.com/blackb...12/index2.html

As for the most important upgrade for me would be the camera. But the next model needs to have what I'm looking for. Right now, I don't know what I'm upgrading to. I'm really considering the Key2, but one of the biggest negatives with people have been the camera. I would consider the KeyOne (since people say it has a better camera, and it's cheaper), but I dislike the keyboard on it. So my hope is something gets announced at MWC, I wait for a Key2 price drop (and hope the camera is simply better than the Motion), or start looking somewhere outside the BlackBerry world.

If a company wanted me to keep to an upgrade cycle, I would suggest releasing new products on a reliable cycle (for that specific audience). I get my phones (usually) through my carrier. And because of that, after my 2 year pay back of the phone, financially makes sense to upgrade my phone as long as my monthly bills do not change. So it's disappointing for me that it's not planned that 2 years after my phone was released, a "follow up" is not released to capitalize on people like me. The Z30 lasted me 4 good years. But that contract was 3 years for me. So I was happy to upgrade after the 3 years. But there was nothing for me as a big Z30 fan. The Motion was the logical step for a vkb loving BB fan. And, it would make sense that Nov/Dec a follow up to the Motion would be release for those fans. Of course I find this unlikely, since the Motion was not a big seller. This is why I think Apple's cycle of yearly releases is so smart. It's predictable, and you can budget yourself accordingly. If I were an Apple fan, I would upgrade consistently. Never to the latest and greatest, simply due to ridiculous cost, but I would be happy lagging behind by a year or two. As a BlackBerry fan, I would hope a new vkb device and pkb device could be released yearly. Just 1 each would be fine. Right now vkb fans are missing an option for 2018. DTEKs in 2016. Motion in 2017. Nothing 2018. Hopefully something in 2019.

My current situation would be an anomaly for me, because I'm only 14 months into my 2 year contract, but I'm already itching to upgrade. And that's because of the camera (and video microphone).
    Thanks for a serious answer to a serious question. I’m serious about understanding others preference as it pertains to a BBMo strategy different than BB ever had since it seemed to either have enormous demand in the beginning and just make variations because nobody complained or competed in those days. After BBOS, with BB10, there was enormous supply of components to burn through so again, everything under the sun, while under the hood, except for Passport, specs were basically the same rehash.

That BBMo is developing a strategy is very impressive considering the competitive environment of Android hardware. I don’t expect much in the way of VKB so I got an iPhone XR for that need. I’ll keep my KEYone until next carrier version AT&T BlackBerry model....
    skilas likes this.
    02-14-19 01:30 PM
    Year 2??? You've had the phone for only 14 months. Thats not even close to 2 years
    02-15-19 09:23 AM
    Year 2??? You've had the phone for only 14 months. Thats not even close to 2 years
    Well, I said I was in my Year 2. No, I've not had it 2 years yet.

I guess if I only had it 6 months. Could I say I'm in my first year of owning a Motion? What about a year and 6 months? Second year?
    02-16-19 12:55 PM
    I'm in Year 2 of my Motion, having got it Dec 2017. It's a good phone. But I find I won't be able to keep it going like my Z30 which was +4 years.

The phone is very solid, and has been reliable. But I find a few quirks are pushing me to look at upgrading, or at least watch the Key2 for a price drop.

Camera is the main one. As someone with young kids who takes photos of them all the time, I find the Motion camera just ok. I constantly have to switch it to manual mode to adjust the lighting, as the auto setting often washes out all the colours. Video has been hit and miss. Sometimes slightly blurry, other crystal clear. The microphone for videos has been terrible. My voice while holding the camera is good, but you can barely hear my kids on the other side of the room. I never noticed at the time, but I recently went through my videos from this past summer, and was surprised with the quality of some of them.

Build Quality. I think the build quality is pretty good. I love the look of the alum trim, but hate holding it because I find it slides out of my hands easily. I still don't know why the top edge is rounded. and With plastic! It just feels cheap when compared to the nice alum trim. The Silver Key2 on the other hand looks so damn good.

Finger print sensor. I started using this a couple months ago. I find it's ok. It's 50/50 whether it works the first time. And if it doesn't, it's often it will keep reading negative, and I will need to use the passcode. It's a small thing. but when technology doesn't work 100% of the time, it's just so frustrating.

Battery. It's ok for me. But I'm worried an "upgrade" will get me less. I'm sitting at 45% at 3:30p. I need to charge every day. I'm sure moving to another device will likely get me less battery.

Overall, everything else has been good, or has simply not contributed to me wanting to upgrade. The camera though is the biggest sticking point, since I use it every day. And from the reviews, the Key2 camera is just ok (often said to be not as good as the Key One). Unfortunately, I do not like the Key One's pkb, so picking up a cheap Key One is not an option. And also I would prefer a Silver Key 2, which unfortunately are not offered via carriers in Canada. I would have to buy one outright, which are currently still at $829.99.

Anyway, those are my thoughts. Anyone else have opinions, or find themselves in a situation where they've had their Motion for a bit and are starting to consider upgrading?
    I feel you! I have the Motion as long as you, but I just really miss my physical keyboard. Thinking of getting a KEY2 LE, until KEY3 arrives.

On the other hand, the Motion is still a decent phone. Battery life still great. Only downside for me is that my screen is cracked a little at the bottom. Also the camera really sucks. In normal light it's OK, but in low light its near useless
    02-17-19 05:06 PM
    I don't see any reason to upgrade until genuine 5G is in play and hopefully BlackBerry makes a 5G phone 📱
    02-17-19 07:08 PM
    My suggestion would be to read the reviews before buying your next phone. My other suggestion is to compare phones that are if a similar price that are being offered by your carrier. Look at your two year total cost.
    02-17-19 10:38 PM
    I did not want to upgrade, but dropped my phone and it's damaged. I want to stick with BlackBerry, but no VKB option available. Thought about a key2 LE but not sure I can go back to a PKB.
    02-19-19 08:30 PM
    I did not want to upgrade, but dropped my phone and it's damaged. I want to stick with BlackBerry, but no VKB option available. Thought about a key2 LE but not sure I can go back to a PKB.
    Buy a premium VKB and install BB App Suite.....
    Bbnivende likes this.
    02-19-19 09:54 PM
    Same happened to me a few months ago ... I would very much have stayed with BlackBerry... But I didn't and tbh I'm so so glad I didn't.

I went to a OnePlus 6T with Android Pie it is so so lovely not to have the end of life drip feed on updates ... Sorry guys but that's how BlackBerry was for me on my phone's which included Z30, Passport, DTek60 and Motion ... The Motion breaking when I dropped it and the decision to not simply replace it with same from the insurance for the drop is great when I see this page.

The Oxygen OS system on the OnePlus is fantastic and I have BlackBerry Hub, PW Manager, Calendar and Contacts on a super fast, secure device. OnePlus android updates are so much more likely than the ongoing delayed wait and wait I experienced for years with BlackBerry.

I will never get BlackBerry entirely out of my system ... But please just have a look at what else is out there ...
    02-20-19 12:35 AM
    Buy a premium VKB and install BB App Suite.....
    You cannot buy VKB from BlackBerry. BlackBerry does not sell their keyboard to non BlackBerry phones. All the BlackBerry Hub suites are for sale however.

If you were to pirate BlackBerry suite to get the keyboard, BlackBerry password keeper will not sync to BlackBerry server.

With a non BlackBerry phone you gotta make a choice between BlackBerry keyboard and the BlackBerry password keeper synchronization.
    02-23-19 07:17 PM
    You cannot buy VKB from BlackBerry. BlackBerry does not sell their keyboard to non BlackBerry phones. All the BlackBerry Hub suites are for sale however.

If you were to pirate BlackBerry suite to get the keyboard, BlackBerry password keeper will not sync to BlackBerry server.

With a non BlackBerry phone you gotta make a choice between BlackBerry keyboard and the BlackBerry password keeper synchronization.
    I didn’t say to attempt to buy or pirate a BB VKB for a device. I think you misunderstood
    skstrials likes this.
    02-23-19 08:51 PM
    I didn't break my phone but want to upgrade to something with a slightly better camera. The low light pictures are horrible. I want to stay with blackberry, but they haven't outline or gave me any expectation that a new vkb phone will be coming out in the foreseeable future. Given that, I recently purchased a Galaxy and will be my first non-blackberry phone. I prefer blackberry but in the vkb side, I don't think they will be making another motion.
    skilas and Elky64 like this.
    02-26-19 06:39 AM
    Not planning on upgrading till BlackBerry comes out with a suitable replacement, ie, all touch phone with up to date specs and same awesome battery power.
    skilas likes this.
    02-26-19 11:45 PM
    I went from a Z10 (great phone) to a Priv (needed android), to a Motion when the Priv's battery failed.

the Priv had a superb camera that was the envy of friends with other high end android phones. It also had a great screen. I stopped using its PKB after about a day as the BB VKB is so good.

The Motion is exactly as all the reviews said it would be. screen is perfectly OK, but not stellar, but does everything I want it to do - video is good, only complaint is it is too touch sensitive so passing it to someone to show an image or take a pic, too easy to open an app.

Battery life is of course great. I no longer get 2 days since OS was updated.

but the camera is not good enough, especially in low light. I still use my Priv for critical pics or a DSLR camera.

would buy a Motion 2 with a better camera.
    Elky64, skilas and StJohnSmythe like this.
    03-02-19 10:56 AM
    I'm going to hang on to the Motion until the support ends. This is the perfect phone for me. If Blackberry comes out with another vkb phone that'll be the next one.
    03-02-19 11:46 AM
    I didn't break my phone but want to upgrade to something with a slightly better camera. The low light pictures are horrible. I want to stay with blackberry, but they haven't outline or gave me any expectation that a new vkb phone will be coming out in the foreseeable future. Given that, I recently purchased a Galaxy and will be my first non-blackberry phone. I prefer blackberry but in the vkb side, I don't think they will be making another motion.
    Tis one of the main reasons we finally put our Motion out to pasture (for the time being) is its camera. Not tied to any brand and BBMo/TCL hasn't proven to me to-date they are "in it to win it" so we'll just move on. See no signs they are looking into another vkb device either being notorious at keeping things under wraps, then revealing with delays being pretty much a given.

Very familiar with other Androids devices with the majority I have dealt with being more upfront in the "when" and "where" department. Plus, the exceptions of support is already low with the chances it will only improve, unlike our Motion which started off on a high note then nosediving.
    03-02-19 03:21 PM
    Battery life is of course great. I no longer get 2 days since OS was updated.

but the camera is not good enough, especially in low light. I still use my Priv for critical pics or a DSLR camera.

would buy a Motion 2 with a better camera.
    Our Motion still reigns king in the battery department even after all the updates yet our present devices are no slouch either. Easily can obtain 24+ hours of use with our others which is more than ample for my needs.

Yup the camera is definitely its nemesis. Shame because having a somewhat better shooter would have made a huge difference for those of use wanting a vkb device, and a BB.

For me BBMo/TCL's lack of business sense (imo) has managed to take all the enthusiasm for another vkb device and toss it out the window. Basically, we have no expectations of a Motion 2 variant nor are we sticking around for one to be announced. If it does happen they have many areas requiring improvements (not talking the device itself) before we take a second look.
    03-02-19 03:36 PM
    Only camera performance.
    03-04-19 10:15 PM
    I'm in Year 2 of my Motion, having got it Dec 2017. It's a good phone. But I find I won't be able to keep it going like my Z30 which was +4 years.

The phone is very solid, and has been reliable. But I find a few quirks are pushing me to look at upgrading, or at least watch the Key2 for a price drop.

Camera is the main one. As someone with young kids who takes photos of them all the time, I find the Motion camera just ok. I constantly have to switch it to manual mode to adjust the lighting, as the auto setting often washes out all the colours. Video has been hit and miss. Sometimes slightly blurry, other crystal clear. The microphone for videos has been terrible. My voice while holding the camera is good, but you can barely hear my kids on the other side of the room. I never noticed at the time, but I recently went through my videos from this past summer, and was surprised with the quality of some of them.

Build Quality. I think the build quality is pretty good. I love the look of the alum trim, but hate holding it because I find it slides out of my hands easily. I still don't know why the top edge is rounded. and With plastic! It just feels cheap when compared to the nice alum trim. The Silver Key2 on the other hand looks so damn good.

Finger print sensor. I started using this a couple months ago. I find it's ok. It's 50/50 whether it works the first time. And if it doesn't, it's often it will keep reading negative, and I will need to use the passcode. It's a small thing. but when technology doesn't work 100% of the time, it's just so frustrating.

Battery. It's ok for me. But I'm worried an "upgrade" will get me less. I'm sitting at 45% at 3:30p. I need to charge every day. I'm sure moving to another device will likely get me less battery.

Overall, everything else has been good, or has simply not contributed to me wanting to upgrade. The camera though is the biggest sticking point, since I use it every day. And from the reviews, the Key2 camera is just ok (often said to be not as good as the Key One). Unfortunately, I do not like the Key One's pkb, so picking up a cheap Key One is not an option. And also I would prefer a Silver Key 2, which unfortunately are not offered via carriers in Canada. I would have to buy one outright, which are currently still at $829.99.

Anyway, those are my thoughts. Anyone else have opinions, or find themselves in a situation where they've had their Motion for a bit and are starting to consider upgrading?
    I love my BlackBerry but hate that it is causing me issues connecting to my Pioneer radio in car. Have a Galaxy S9+ but hate it I am going to sell it but it works with my radio. I have no idea why this phone is a problem with connectivity but would a Key 2 be any better. Is what is holding me back from upgrading.
    03-07-19 03:39 PM
    Probably the only thing that could convince me to upgrade my 2 year-old BlackBerry Motion is for a refreshed Motion II to arrive!

This has been the best phone I have ever owned - better than the Z30, and worlds apart from the Samsung Galaxy I had. A number of people have complained about the camera, but I take full advantage of the manual modes provided, and I have numerous photos that I am proud to enlarge and hang on my wall as testament to the good, if not quite excellent, photographic quality. It's been a rock-solid piece of hardware for aviation, business, and personal use, in office, rain, and snow and dropped from heights. Even went swimming in cider and lives today. And the battery life - wow.

For a Motion refresh, I wouldn't mind stereo speakers with more volume, and a night mode that dims all the way to black (probably requires a change in display technology).
    03-07-19 03:48 PM
    As someone who has come to rely on the BB VKB, I really like my Motion and its unsurpassed battery life

I'm halfway through year 2 and won't be looking to swap it out until they come out with another VKB handset
    03-07-19 05:59 PM
    - best in class camera or significantly improved in both front and rear especially in low light
    - faster processor
    - 6 GB RAM
    - min. of 64 GB of internal memory
    - keep exfat microsd card
    - fastest quick charge technology
    - keep the water resistance
    - keep all the BB software goodness and security
    - keep convenience key
    - add shortcut keys like the physical keyboard
    - OLED edge to edge screen (God please no notch)
    - stereo and better speakers
    - microusb C hdmi capability
    - keep multicolored led
    - gesture based Android (not a show stopper)
    - keep the 5.5" screen
    - dual sim option would be nice
    - hot spot and direct wifi capability
    04-05-19 07:58 PM
    I have a Motion and just bought a KEYone Black Edition for $279 US. I like it!
    04-05-19 09:39 PM
    - best in class camera or significantly improved in both front and rear especially in low light
    - faster processor
    - 6 GB RAM
    - min. of 64 GB of internal memory
    - keep exfat microsd card
    - fastest quick charge technology
    - keep the water resistance
    - keep all the BB software goodness and security
    - keep convenience key
    - add shortcut keys like the physical keyboard
    - OLED edge to edge screen (God please no notch)
    - stereo and better speakers
    - microusb C hdmi capability
    - keep multicolored led
    - gesture based Android (not a show stopper)
    - keep the 5.5" screen
    - dual sim option would be nice
    - hot spot and direct wifi capability
    Sounds like a Motion 2 that unfortunately doesn’t appear to be happening anytime soon.
    04-05-19 09:42 PM
    Sounds like a Motion 2 that unfortunately doesn’t appear to be happening anytime soon.
    That's ok I can wait a little longer. If it doesn't happen when it comes time to upgrade we'll just go to another brand that offers something close. We can afford it and it'll be just another loss for BB.
    04-05-19 09:55 PM
129 1234 ...