Lol I was about to follow up with a disclaimer that I think paying full msrp for the other flagships are also foolish.

You're right you cannot determine value in isolation. But when we mention the price you guys mention the iPhone tier 1 devices as if they're comparable. And yet when we mention tier 2 and 3 devices that are comparable that are cheaper, you guys mention they are not comparable due to this and that feature on the BlackBerry lol.
    I mentioned a $160 phone too.

So is the Motion 3x better than the Blu? Is it 2/5 as good as an iPhone X? I don't know - the whole debate is almost meaningless.
    Last edited by conite; 11-15-17 at 09:04 PM.
    11-15-17 08:44 PM
    The BlackBerry brand is for TCL's more upscale "professional", security play. All they hope for is that there is a significant enough niche to make it worth doing. But they definitely need both a pkb and a slab, when they step into a corporation.
    And there’s the rub. Corporation IT guys aren’t stupid. They know what’s out there in the market. TCL’s value proposition vis a vis pricing is just not there, particularly in the slab space. Apple is just as secure so that angle won’t fly. Price is steep for the specs (other than battery life) so that’s strike two. At least if Motion was running Oreo OOTB they could have used that as a selling point. As it stands, it’s difficult to justify the mere existence of the Motion. Like I said before, if they used the guts of the dtek60, rebranded and launched with Oreo, they could have at least been somewhat competitive with Oreo being a unique advantage (Pixel being the only other) over the other slabs.
    11-15-17 08:49 PM
    At least if Motion was running Oreo OOTB they could have used that as a selling point. As it stands, it’s difficult to justify the mere existence of the Motion. Like I said before, if they used the guts of the dtek60, rebranded and launched with Oreo, they could have at least been somewhat competitive with Oreo being a unique advantage (Pixel being the only other) over the other slabs.
    That's fleeting.

All they want is to be on a secure approval list along with Apple and Knox.

For companies, there shouldn't be anything else on the list.
    Last edited by conite; 11-15-17 at 09:26 PM.
    11-15-17 08:51 PM
    Me two (too), picked mine up from Bell store yesterday. I was going to wait to pick one up factory unlocked, but the loyalty / retention department gave me a deal I couldn't refuse.

Broadcasting live from my BBD100-2
    How is the bottom bezel? Too big? Or is it similar to the PRIV with its speaker?
    11-16-17 07:36 AM
    Quite right! And we don't know how much they'll sell. Hard to guestimate. If they want sell more, then they'll have to get their machinery working, because from the outside it doesn't seem like a great strategy to only sell in certain markets as if these phones were some scarce commodity . Or maybe they are!! And TCL can't afford to produce or market as many as they'd like.
    I think it might be the opposite. Focusing on small markets where they are confident they will sell the most helps them to avoid over production, in terms of both sheer volume and variants.
    11-16-17 07:44 AM
    Leap frogged in not making a single dime and taking billions in government (tax payer) handouts to date?
    They have a bigger range because the battery are bigger. In the other marques with the same size battery and massive price, there's no difference. Marketing is important!
    11-16-17 09:09 AM
    How is the bottom bezel? Too big? Or is it similar to the PRIV with its speaker?
    What does too big look like to you and how do you imagine a chin that is too big would affect you?

I migrated from a Z30, which also had a chin of similar proportion. The chin certainly doesn't get in the way of my using the phone or diminish the perceived amount utility I gain from it. No one that I've showed the phone to has mentioned it.

For me it's a non issue.

Hope that helps.
    laid-back likes this.
    11-16-17 09:15 AM
    I think it might be the opposite. Focusing on small markets where they are confident they will sell the most helps them to avoid over production, in terms of both sheer volume and variants.
    WEAK is what it makes them look.... Sorry but that's not good when enterprise who tends to want long term solutions, is watching.

It's one thing to start out slow with your first product (KEYone), it's another thing to pull back and do even less with your next product (Motion). When you say things like "support of four US Carriers" and "three new devices this year"... doesn't matter why you failed to meet those claims you made, it just matters that you weren't able to deliver as you "said" you would.

Once you fail to deliver on a few of your "plans", one starts to wonder what other "plans" might you not be able to deliver on.
    11-16-17 10:32 AM
    WEAK is what it makes them look.... Sorry but that's not good when enterprise who tends to want long term solutions, is watching.

It's one thing to start out slow with your first product (KEYone), it's another thing to pull back and do even less with your next product (Motion). When you say things like "support of four US Carriers" and "three new devices this year"... doesn't matter why you failed to meet those claims you made, it just matters that you weren't able to deliver as you "said" you would.

Once you fail to deliver on a few of your "plans", one starts to wonder what other "plans" might you not be able to deliver on.
    Bang on. New BlackBerry Mobile is not much different than it's predecessor.
    Dunt Dunt Dunt likes this.
    11-16-17 10:48 AM

Well said.
    11-16-17 11:10 AM

The BlackBerry name is no longer a big one so targeting specific markets does make sense for them
    11-17-17 09:32 PM
    11-18-17 08:52 AM
    The BlackBerry name is no longer a big one so targeting specific markets does make sense for them
    Enterprise is what TCL has said all along was key for BlackBerry Mobile.... this targeting doesn't feel like it's focused on enterprise, but more on FANS.
    Troy Tiscareno likes this.
    11-20-17 07:27 AM
    Enterprise is what TCL has said all along was key for BlackBerry Mobile.... this targeting doesn't feel like it's focused on enterprise, but more on FANS.
    I think you hit upon things when pointing out before in other threads, about TCT vs TCL. Let's face it, TCT doesn't have the resources that Enterprise or Carriers feel comfortable with in terms of vendor relationships. Carriers were limited and slow to pick up KEYone in USA. Motion is nonexistent here in the USA with no carriers publicly lined up. Of course, that's not in BBMo control.
    11-20-17 07:53 AM
    Are BlackBerry and BBMobile partnering on enterprise sales? If not, would it even make sense for BBMobile to try and sell to enterprise without an EMM solution to compliment it?

If BBMobile is aiming for "low volume but profitable" it's possible they could be aiming for fans and prosumer users (i.e., non EMM business users, BYOD employees, etc) to start with while they build a portfolio of devices to compete with Apple and Samsung's enterprise offerings.
    11-20-17 10:17 AM
    Are BlackBerry and BBMobile partnering on enterprise sales? If not, would it even make sense for BBMobile to try and sell to enterprise without an EMM solution to compliment it?

If BBMobile is aiming for "low volume but profitable" it's possible they could be aiming for fans and prosumer users (i.e., non EMM business users, BYOD employees, etc) to start with while they build a portfolio of devices to compete with Apple and Samsung's enterprise offerings.
    It wouldn't make a lot of sense, but then BlackBerry doesn't appear to be keeping BlackBerry Mobile as distant as some originally thought they might. The KEYone had a prominent demo booth at the Security Summit, and the UK/Canada BlackBerry homepages carry large scrolling adverts for the Motion. I'm inclined to think there may be some degree of co-operation in terms of enterprise that hasn't materialised in the US thus far. Carrier support elsewhere - and there have been some big wins for TCL - means the devices aren't as obscure or inaccessible in every market.

I think you may be right about the initial target user markets, and the hope that this will feed into some sort of longevity and stability that enterprise will be comfortable with.
    11-20-17 01:00 PM
    It wouldn't make a lot of sense, but then BlackBerry doesn't appear to be keeping BlackBerry Mobile as distant as some originally thought they might. The KEYone had a prominent demo booth at the Security Summit, and the UK/Canada BlackBerry homepages carry large scrolling adverts for the Motion. I'm inclined to think there may be some degree of co-operation in terms of enterprise that hasn't materialised in the US thus far. Carrier support elsewhere - and there have been some big wins for TCL - means the devices aren't as obscure or inaccessible in every market.

I think you may be right about the initial target user markets, and the hope that this will feed into some sort of longevity and stability that enterprise will be comfortable with.
    Yeah that's something I noticed recently as well, BlackBerry's regional sites link to the respective local brand licensee for devices and it seems to be kept up to date. I don't know if this extends to business development as well.
    11-20-17 06:00 PM
    So, months later.
    Any update on numbers?
    03-26-18 06:27 AM
    Based solely on activity on this forum, probably pretty low. Too bad, it's a great device.
    03-26-18 06:37 AM
    There's probably been more canceled Motion variants than sold devices...
    03-26-18 09:28 AM
    Honestly, I think the entire initiative behind the Motion was just to be able to say "yeah we got one of them there slabs."
    Bbnivende likes this.
    03-26-18 09:33 AM
    And that was my point. The Motion has nothing going for it other than the premise of security, which is a non issue these days with Apple and Samsung having caught up.
    Of interest...

https://blog.elcomsoft.com/2017/11/i...-ios-security/
    03-26-18 10:07 AM
    I wonder if Blackberry mobile will ever release another slab? It seems like motion was a experiment for slab market.
    03-26-18 10:32 AM
    The facial recognition technology on the iPhone X.

Purported to take competitors in android another few years to catch up so a several manufacturers in China, Oppo being one, teaming up to bring it to android by next year.

That sounds like an innovation to me.

The KEYone isn't innovation, it was distinct. Keyboard tech from passport...and yea everything else pretty standard lol.
    Facial recognition still is not working correctly. No manufacturer has had success due to the software not being able to make the logic decision work with current AI software.

Posted via CB10
    03-26-18 11:08 AM
    that is Engadget news ,TCL had sold 850 .000 BlackBerry phones last year ,did not mention K1 or motion .
    03-27-18 02:01 AM
109 ... 2345