blackberry is out of handset business is not an excuse. the people that payed over 800$ for a priv when it came out have been duped out. that's not to talk about the dtek buyers being called lab rats and the dtek phone simple test phones. let me remind you that the dtek60 was released at $550 and has not gotten any os update. how can you defend their position on this. remember also that the dteks were marketed as the most secure devices with latest software bla bla. conite I don't know if you work for this forums too but as a costumer you should never defend the corporate position.
    The Priv was $699 and the DTEK60 $499. Just for clarification.

I don't feel duped on either. I got my full money's worth on the Priv and never expected a second update - BlackBerry told us immediately that Marshmallow was coming, so it was reasonable to expect that.

I had no expectations for the DTEKs. I knew full well what BlackBerry's situation was. Am I disappointed? Absolutely. Am I upset? Absolutely not.
    TCM01 likes this.
    10-11-17 04:14 PM
    As a consumer paying full premium price I want the latest most secure options (as being advertised). I don't care about any technical term you are bringing to the table. You work for BlackBerry so obviously you are going to defend their every mistake. This is what blackberry is doing wrong that is making it look bad. They don't listen to the actual costumers anymore. And then they do whatever they want to shove it up our asses.
    But you're not going to be a customer. You already said you weren't going to buy it. You already took your position. You're arguing for the sake of arguing.

I will not buy blackberry anymore
    10-11-17 04:15 PM
    The Priv was $699 and the DTEK60 $499. Just for clarification.

I don't feel duped on either. I got my full money's worth on the Priv and never expected a second update - BlackBerry told us immediately that Marshmallow was coming, so it was reasonable to expect that.

I had no expectations for the DTEKs. I knew full well what BlackBerry's situation was. Am I disappointed? Absolutely. Am I upset? Absolutely not.
    It was sold for $850 on amazon. The priv also launched out with an outdated os. They basically do that to save money and just update the os only once
    10-11-17 04:18 PM
    It was sold for $850 on amazon. The priv also launched out with an outdated os. They basically do that to save money and just update the os only once
    But you never paid that for it. You stated that yourself, so your point about it costing $850 is moot. And not long ago you were singing your Privs praises.

I am a Priv owner and bought it for only 350$ so I am not as hurt as the 800$ priv owners out there.

Yeahe too got it for 350 with same day delivery on amazon. Basically ordered a pizza hahaha

This is sooo goood. The priv is the best phone ever made. Its not the best performer but the quality, unique design that grabs attention, security updates makes this a steal. I am currently using one and I can say for sure when this one dies my next phone will be another Priv. I don't understand how this price point doesn't make people want one too lol
    Own up. You just want to complain. It's pretty clear. If you don't want to buy it, it's easy. Don't.
    valer466 and TCM01 like this.
    10-11-17 04:19 PM
    You got ripped off then. Shopblackberry was always $650.

Hardened Marshmallow was not ready in November of 2015. As a matter of fact, only Nexus devices had Marshmallow at the time (plus the Polish LG G4 oddly enough).
    Last edited by conite; 10-11-17 at 04:34 PM.
    valer466 likes this.
    10-11-17 04:21 PM
    First rule of smart-device buying: You are only guaranteed to get whatever comes with the phone, nothing more. This is true whether you're buying a Samsung, Apple or LG, any device really (but especially LG!). Buy the device that suits your needs at that moment in time and issues like this *should* never be a concern.
    Troy Tiscareno and TCM01 like this.
    10-11-17 04:33 PM
    Also all those phones you mentioned will undoubtedly get at least 2-3 major os updates. And they never advertise their phones as being secure and BS like that
    Well id you want at least 2 OS updates, blackberry isn’t for you. I wouldn’t be surprised if there is no OS updates at all. My expectation for blackberry is not high anymore.
    10-11-17 04:35 PM
    Well id you want at least 2 OS updates, blackberry isn’t for you. I wouldn’t be surprised if there is no OS updates at all. My expectation for blackberry is not high anymore.
    Good thing you're dealing with TCL now. You can releive yourself of your BlackBerry memories.

They promised Oreo - so that is for sure.
    10-11-17 04:40 PM
    Good thing you're dealing with TCL now. You can releive yourself of your BlackBerry memories.

They promised Oreo - so that is for sure.
    I won’t be disappointed if Oreo is last keyone/motion OS. If I want at least 2-3 os updates, I’ll get Samsung, LG, or Google.
    10-11-17 04:52 PM
    so much nerd stress about these effing OSs. it gets on my nerves. maybe there are geek features you need? -
    the general Joe public neither knows nor cares. launches with N and already thinking about P. get a life
    krazyatom likes this.
    10-11-17 04:55 PM
    so much nerd stress about these effing OSs. it gets on my nerves. maybe there are geek features you need? -
    the general Joe public neither knows nor cares. launches with N and already thinking about P. get a life
    I agree. Google is charging premium for their pixel 2 for 3 guaranteed OS updates! Google pixel 2 for $650 is overpriced IMO. Blackberry motion is $450 with guaranteed Oreo updates. Save your $200 for next blackberry phone.
    10-11-17 04:59 PM
    I agree. Google is charging premium for their pixel 2 for 3 guaranteed OS updates! Google pixel 2 for $650 is overpriced IMO. Blackberry motion is $450 with guaranteed Oreo updates. Save your $200 for next blackberry phone.
    Google Pixel 2, if it gets 3 OS updates, would mean Android P, Q and R. It will remain a relevant device, with most of Android's latest features, for 3 years. That's worth a heck of a lot imo, considering the Motion may not even get Android P. Personally, I really want to purchase the Motion, there are so many things I like about it, but if Android Oreo is its last update, I can't justify the purchase.
    10-11-17 05:33 PM
    Google Pixel 2, if it gets 3 OS updates, would mean Android P, Q and R. It will remain a relevant device, with most of Android's latest features, for 3 years. That's worth a heck of a lot imo, considering the Motion may not even get Android P. Personally, I really want to purchase the Motion, there are so many things I like about it, but if Android Oreo is its last update, I can't justify the purchase.
    Hmm.. You have a point. I guess pixel 2 is good alternative but it’s missing the blackberry hardened security.
    10-11-17 05:57 PM
    Hmm.. You have a point. I guess pixel 2 is good alternative but it’s missing the blackberry hardened security.
    And it's missing a headphone jack...
    10-11-17 06:01 PM
    So is Blackberry's nougat more secure than Blackberry's Marshmallow? Just wondering, cause I know of this phone that was promised to be the most secure that is running BlackBerry Marshmallow.

Ah yes, change your argument when your others have been pointed out to have more holes than swiss cheese, cool. Do tell, what security features are you missing out on that are relevant to end users by not running Oreo out of the box? I'm not saying there isn't any, I'm well aware of a few benefits (Project Treble, Secure Computing filters, etc), but at this point given that BlackBerry's Android still hasn't been rooted, let alone exploited in any demonstrable way from any other versions of Android, what does Oreo contain that you MUST have it to ensure your safety? Setting aside the fact that you seem to not have any interest in the Motion anyway, so naturally, you won't have to worry about it as you won't have one.
    10-11-17 06:54 PM
    general joe public doesn't buy BlackBerry phones either.
    mister2d likes this.
    10-11-17 06:56 PM
    So is Blackberry's nougat more secure than Blackberry's Marshmallow? Just wondering, cause I know of this phone that was promised to be the most secure that is running BlackBerry Marshmallow.
    If you're concentrating only on what BlackBerry did: Probably not.

If you concentrating on Android as whole: It would be reasonable to say anything running Nougat is going to be more secure due to the underpinnings of Android.

It's why Android breaks their 'updates' into two categories. OS upgrades and Security updates. Any security enhancements to the core Android experience are going to come by way of OS upgrades but smaller, functional upgrades are going to come as security updates which are delivered by way of Google Services.

Google Services is how Google keeps older devices largely secure as newer devices. You might be missing some deep, core Android enhancements on an older device, but the arguably more time-sensitive and crucial updates are delivered by Google Services.
    10-11-17 06:59 PM
    I believe three OS includes the initial OS upon release so you get O,P,Q if released with Oreo. As Bla1ze has mentioned, security updates are just that and the value proposition from BBMo with BB has always been security updates. BlackBerry Android has never been rooted. If this isn't what matters to you then why complain? BlackBerry Mobile isn't targeting you because they can't afford to play in the general consumer market. They're making phones that carriers demand for a carrier segment that carriers think can be profitable for carrier and where solution doesn't really exist. Carriers will tell BBMo what to make and target price and profit margin. They can demand this from BlackBerry Mobile since BBMo needs the carrier and the carrier doesn't really need BBMo. They'll use BBMo as wedge against larger OEMs to get better pricing across the board to enhance profits.
    10-11-17 06:59 PM
    I believe three OS includes the initial OS upon release so you get O,P,Q if released with Oreo. As Bla1ze has mentioned, security updates are just that and the value proposition from BBMo with BB has always been security updates. BlackBerry Android has never been rooted. If this isn't what matters to you then why complain? BlackBerry Mobile isn't targeting you because they can't afford to play in the general consumer market. They're making phones that carriers demand for a carrier segment that carriers think can be profitable for carrier and where solution doesn't really exist. Carriers will tell BBMo what to make and target price and profit margin. They can demand this from BlackBerry Mobile since BBMo needs the carrier and the carrier doesn't really need BBMo. They'll use BBMo as wedge against larger OEMs to get better pricing across the board to enhance profits.
    Previously, google phone received 2 os updates and I believe this is first time they’re offering 3 os updates guaranteed.
    10-11-17 07:23 PM
    Previously, google phone received 2 os updates and I believe this is first time they’re offering 3 os updates guaranteed.
    Either way, I'm not paying to keep devices 3-4 years. I've learned with Apple Mobile devices that after 2 years or so, devices aren't optimized either storage or processing for later OS versions.

This is no different than PC hardware that doesn't handle OS update as well as machines that are built with new OS factory installed. What good is any type of device with the latest OS update if the overall user experience and efficiency is degraded?
    10-11-17 07:31 PM
    Either way, I'm not paying to keep devices 3-4 years. I've learned with Apple Mobile devices that after 2 years or so, devices aren't optimized either storage or processing for later OS versions.

This is no different than PC hardware that doesn't handle OS update as well as machines that are built with new OS factory installed. What good is any type of device with the latest OS update if the overall user experience and efficiency is degraded?
    I had pretty much every iphone since iphone 4. What iphone was that? ios is boring but they’re very well optimized compared to android.
    10-11-17 07:43 PM
    I had pretty much every iphone since iphone 4. What iphone was that? ios is boring but they’re very well optimized compared to android.
    My iPad mini 1 is on IOS 9.3.5 but was better on IOS 7 and 8. That's my point though. I don't want Android OS update beyond 1 from initial since optimization degrades. Lollipop to Marshmallow or Marshmallow to Nougat is enough for me.
    10-11-17 08:22 PM
    Meh.

There's a fair clean argument to be made that Nougat may be LESS secure than M. Seriously -- do you trust N's "keybag" implementation? How do you know? FDE is mature and has been for a long time, and likely IS secure.

Less-granular, yes -- but secure.

Is the keybag, file-by-file implementation just as good or better? Are you sure?

Because that's the big difference between them, you know....
    10-11-17 08:32 PM
    Meh.

There's a fair clean argument to be made that Nougat may be LESS secure than M. Seriously -- do you trust N's "keybag" implementation? How do you know? FDE is mature and has been for a long time, and likely IS secure.

Less-granular, yes -- but secure.

Is the keybag, file-by-file implementation just as good or better? Are you sure?

Because that's the big difference between them, you know....
    If you're replying to me, I'm just fine with Marshmallow on my DTEK hardware. That's been my point. It was optimized with Marshmallow at time of production. I'd just assume buy the Motion for Nougat since that's been out for awhile and it's been optimized for Motion.

Future proofing and planned obsolescence are part of Android. I accept planned obsolescence.
    10-11-17 08:49 PM
    There are probably hundreds of million of devices that won't even make past marshmallow in the Android world yet people are using them just fine. Not sure what you mean by "relevant".
    10-11-17 09:09 PM
124 ... 2345