Greetings all. I am thinking about buying a Motion. All reviews I have read point out camera performance as a concern. While I'm used to the KEYone, which works well enough for my needs, I am led to believe that the Motion's camera is not as good as that.

So my question is this: are there any apps or techniques that folks would recommend to take better photos with the Motion? For example, does using a different app like Open Camera help? Or perhaps turning on manual settings and shooting exclusively that way?

While I don't rely on my phone to take stellar shots, I would want to obtain reasonably good shots under reasonably good conditions... consistently, of course. Can the Motion's camera meet that standard with some coaxing? Thanks in advance for any insights offered.
    06-10-20 09:49 PM
    I could see getting a PKB phone that was old and outdated (hard to find) and has a so so camera.... but why bother with the Motion at this point.

Put the money into a Pixel 3A and get the app subscription and a protective case, and don't worry about the camera (or updates, security patches, old battery, slow processor, ....).

But based on the Photo section in the Motion threads... I think reasonably good is possible.
    branflakes likes this.
    06-11-20 08:53 AM
    I understand the "why bother" question, and my eyes are wide open regarding the pros and cons of buying an "old and outdated" BlackBerry device. However, many of us wouldn't be the quite the BlackBerry enthusiasts we are if we didn't consider doing exactly that on occasion.

Looking at the Motion photos in over in the related Sticky thread and also in CBKevin's review, I wasn't overly impressed with what I saw. I'm guessing, especially in the latter thread, that no effort was made beyond use of the automatic shutter settings precisely so the camera performance could be straightforwardly assessed.

Over in the same review thread, a commenter suggested using an app called Perfectly Clear for the post-processing of photos. Has that app, or something similar, been an option tried with any success by any Motion users?

06-11-20 05:38 PM
    Nothing I tried with my Motion ever helped. The camera really is lousy. My Priv had a much better camera, and that wasn't exactly a top camera either, in its day. The poor camera and the 32GB of storage finally made me move on to a Google Pixel 3. Loved my Motion ( and all the BlackBerrys I've owned), still think it's a great looking phone, but the 32GB of storage was too little over time, and that camera was a drag on my art business...I couldn't take a good photo unless there were perfect conditions (bright sunlight outside).

I bought a Pixel 3, subscribe to the BB apps, use Cobalt's BB VKB and am happy. A newer Android OS is also very nice. The only thing I truly miss is the notification led. This is my first non-BlackBerry smartphone. If they ever make a VKB phone again, I'll definitely consider it, but there are a lot of good slab phones to choose from now.
    06-12-20 07:05 PM
    Those are very helpful observations - thank you. I will stick with my KeyONEs for the camera I know... along with the model's other good attributes. Except for being short on RAM, the base version has been OK for my usage in terms of screen size, processor speed, and even the 32GB storage after I trim my cache every so often. That's why the Motion might have worked if not for the camera, but I've just bought a K1 Black Edition for personal use instead.

Personally, I'm not 100% convinced BB phones are dead after the end of the TCL license, but I'm not holding my breath either. All hardware eventually fails, but the K1 has enough ruggedness to get me through then next year or two, I believe - long enough to see what happens down the road.
    06-13-20 12:33 PM