I really like the DTEK app to monitor which of my apps is inefficient or accessing inappropriate data. It's easily worth $150 to me over 2-3 years. I check it weekly and use it to adjust permissions or delete apps. But it's only useful if it's used regularly.

Posted with my trusty Z10
    DTEK is not just about managing permissions, but is also the user-face of Integrity Detection, which is "a trusted/secure background process running at the system level, that monitors the device for known security vulnerabilities. The BID service has its definitions updated regularly (silently) to ensure that you’re protected against existing and future exploits."
    11-14-17 08:59 AM
    DTEK is not just about managing permissions, but is also the user-face of Integrity Detection, which is "a trusted/secure background process running at the system level, that monitors the device for known security vulnerabilities. The BID service has its definitions updated regularly (silently) to ensure that you’re protected against existing and future exploits."
    Thanks. I should have acknowledged that basic fact. I was focused on its tangible value to me as a way to monitor app behavior, not on its core security function, because it seems obvious to me that people considering the Essential aren't looking for security as a differentiator.

11-14-17 09:12 AM
    I will not debate the merits of DTek vs later versions of Android as I have not used it. I used to covet the Porsche version of the Z10 . Maybe the Motion is that type of phone.
    11-14-17 09:16 AM
    I will not debate the merits of DTek vs later versions of Android as I have not used it. I used to covet the Porsche version of the Z10 . Maybe the Motion is that type of phone.
    I was referring to the DTEK software on all BlackBerry Mobile phones, not the DTEK hardware.

11-14-17 09:36 AM
    I think it’s good for blackberry to have good competition. Both motion and essential offerings are great. You can’t go wrong with either phone. I will probably pick up both but motion will be sealed and untouched.
    11-14-17 10:34 AM
    apprently, the OP love essential because he feel he is very smart to get a good deal for the stuff used to be $700 (like many good friday sales... chaps rush in to buy a 52 inch TV instead of 42 inches because it is on sale and better "value" rather than size of the room, viewing distance optimization..). However, he is also a BB collector, he feel his royalty should let him buy motion instead (in trade-off his vanity of ownning a 700 device at price of 450)... The phycology conflict between the two ideals are very interesting, both emotional and logically mixed in the post let him ignore some priced advice from Conite and others. As for Ti vs Al frame, there is NO one metal is better than the others - except the whole packaging design (including the internal structure, resonance frequency upon dropping, mechanical strength of the stack, such as PWB with populated assembly, could have a weak line that match with resonance, it could be catastrophic...etc. etc). Ti is 1.7x dense (that means heavier) than Al, move corrosion resistance (if you are in the pulp and paper industry... or acid rittaled places), stronger. but possibly used a thinner sheet instead of thicker aluminum... Not sure what is the Ti alloy or just Ti containing stainless steel. notice that in made in china wedding ring - Ti ring = Ti containing stainless steel possibly 316 SS that only containing trace amount of Ti. Ti is pricy, if it is true pure Ti or Ti rich alloy - like used for high altitude aircraft, you might have a show piece at party, like ladies wedding gown with a lot of sparkle... please come back and tell us after you select your handset and how you feel about it (most likely the essential will make you more satisfy due to perceived good value... let's see if my bet is correct ;-).
    anon(2313227) likes this.
    11-14-17 10:35 AM
    ^ no idea what you’re talking about but go and watch jerryrigeverything for essential phone lol.
    11-14-17 10:57 AM
    ^ no idea what you’re talking about but go and watch jerryrigeverything for essential phone lol.
    Anyone who uses phone without a decent case should be using a cheap phone . The problem is bulk and availability of a good case on an already large phone. The Essential has had problems with its camera so that is a concern.
    krazyatom likes this.
    11-14-17 11:30 AM
    Anyone who uses phone without a decent case should be using a cheap phone . The problem is bulk and availability of a good case on an already large phone. The Essential has had problems with its camera so that is a concern.
    I can’t comment on the camera but if its similar to keyone camera, I am good.
    11-14-17 11:38 AM
    ha, OP, you got te essential? I am good too ;-O
    krazyatom likes this.
    11-14-17 12:15 PM
    ha, OP, you got te essential? I am good too ;-O
    Ill get them next week. It will be awesome with blackberry launcher with blackberry keyboard
    Bbnivende likes this.
    11-14-17 01:40 PM
    If they don't get the Motion out soon I might buy an Essential.

I will not reward radio silence with deferment.
    krazyatom likes this.
    11-14-17 03:22 PM
    Probably more like the Malibu LTZ and the Z fell off...
    11-14-17 04:26 PM
    Ill get them next week. It will be awesome with blackberry launcher with blackberry keyboard
    make sure you don't get eat alive by the buyer's remorse... Sony camera module is wonderful and long lasting battery is envy of the industry (power management beat iphone... or finger print reader appear to be better than face - at least for someone has twin brother or sister..hahaha).
    krazyatom likes this.
    11-14-17 04:32 PM
    Probably more like the Malibu LTZ and the Z fell off...
    Except that the Motion is being sold in very few dealerships and parts will be difficult to source.
    11-14-17 04:36 PM
    OP, please come back and tell us what you feel about essential. does the finger print attracted surface drive you crazy? did you find out any useage of two pins at back? and may be you need dtek... only more than 5000 units sold (based on end of Sept report), would like to have some hands on good feel back... assume they fix the security issue... Let me know how you feel comfortable about Andy's resume... are you counting on Essential got sold to google? or you just count on Andy to provide support of droid since it is his baby... https://techcrunch.com/2017/08/30/an...customer-data/
    11-16-17 08:16 AM
    I should add, for an Enterprise environment, the Motion wins hands down.

11-16-17 09:38 AM
    Thanks. I should have acknowledged that basic fact. I was focused on its tangible value to me as a way to monitor app behavior, not on its core security function, because it seems obvious to me that people considering the Essential aren't looking for security as a differentiator.

I have found the DTEK App to be valuable as well.

/android-apps-f444/rogers-place-app-thanks-dtek-i-think-1130631/#post13068910
    11-16-17 09:51 AM
93 ... 234