Apple was exclusive to AT&T for five years when it launched the iPhone, because only AT&T was willing to sacrifice control at the time. That worked out great for both companies, but no one else was willing to do that until Apple had them over a barrel. Today, no one besides Apple has that leverage. I think carriers wouldn't even give that control to Samsung.

Posted with my trusty Z10
    Nobody other than Apple gets to sell unlocked through carriers. The last iPhone we bought I purchased through Apple just to ensure that it was factory unlocked. This allows my son to flip between AT&T or Verizon.

Main Android flagships with AT&T or Verizon have been pushing their updates through carrier first and releasing to unlocked devices about same time. OEMs do this because in USA, they always have and will consider the carriers as their customer. I purchased AT&T PRIV wholesale although I'm on AT&T. It's carrier locked. I had the infamous "No Service" issue.

Although it was brand new in the box when I purchased the PRIV, AT&T would not help me out with the issue. Fortunately, the problem was fairly large and many small business accounts had the same problem. AT&T, with BlackBerry, fixed the problem using software update pushed out to devices. Later, I purchased DTEK hardware from ShopBlackBerry and put the factory unlocked devices on my AT&T lines.

Those devices have screen quality issues and I don't have the carrier leverage as I normally would. The updates really haven't been much better factory unlocked compared to carrier locked. BB in later years outsourced it's logistics to Digital River. BBMo infrastructure at this point is worse than BB ever was. BBMo infrastructure should get better however, AT&T software and hardware support is more valuable right now than any perceived factory unlocked hardware advantages.
    11-21-17 10:12 AM
    Only if you're on AT&T. Which is the point -- what if you're not? And "not" isn't just T-Mobile or Verizon - it's also all the MVNOs, some of which the carriers own!
    11-21-17 10:29 AM
    Only if you're on AT&T. Which is the point -- what if you're not? And "not" isn't just T-Mobile or Verizon - it's also all the MVNOs, some of which the carriers own!
    MVNOs operate exclusively on AT&T, Verizon, T-Mobile or Sprint, right? My point was, if not carrier offered right now, I'd probably wait six months and see what hardware issues possibly develop. Plenty of brands of factory unlocked devices out there.
    11-21-17 10:38 AM
    I have been on an unlocked Z30 since the Z30 was new on the ATT network and have gotten my updates before the ATT people did so have no qualms about the unlocked international Motion that I just ordered

Posted via CB10
    11-21-17 10:38 AM
    I have been on an unlocked Z30 since the Z30 was new on the ATT network and have gotten my updates before the ATT people did so have no qualms about the unlocked international Motion that I just ordered

Posted via CB10
    That's amazing since you're in a one-man race. There was never a carrier locked Z30 on AT&T, only Verizon and carriers have different rollout schedules.
    11-21-17 11:20 AM
    Well there probably wont be an ATT Motion either then but I wanted one so I ordered one

Posted via CB10
    11-21-17 11:29 AM
    Well there probably wont be an ATT Motion either then but I wanted one so I ordered one

Posted via CB10
    Agreed. I'm saying if you have the option, it's the option where carrier device is the rare advantage instead the usual disadvantage.
    11-21-17 11:31 AM

Posted via CB10
    That was with BB10, and at a different time. And you're right, AT&T basically ignored any BlackBerry 10 phone they sold. Me included with the Z10.

But, I never relied on AT&T for anything but their cell service. The only thing we ever interacted with AT&T on was billing and service to all the phones in the family - a BlackBerry, an iPhone, and a Samsung. In that way, our experience with AT&T has been just fine.

I always did all the OS updates on my phones myself - going back to the days of using a Pearl 8100. I've never relied on AT&T for any of that.

But, with android, you have to. So, using an S8 is a new experience for me in that regard.
    11-21-17 12:15 PM
    Well,I am new to Android so it will be a learning curve I am sure on the new Motion. Like you I only interact with ATT for billing etc

Posted via CB10
    11-21-17 12:24 PM
84 ... 234