Dom7, I went looking at phones today, and I'm leaning towards either the Samsung note 9 or a Samsung S10+ as a possible replacement for my motion.

I was wondering about the loading up of the BlackBerry apps (hub, keyboard...) and was wondering how close it would be to the motion in their use.

How do you find it compares? Exactly like the motion, close to it????
    It's great so far, though there are a few things you should know.

1. You have to sideload the keyboard. Not hard, but you have to install colbalts app to do this.

2. The keyboard sits low on the screen. I find myself missing the spacebar and hitting a letter instead. Just gotta get used to it

3. I have not figured out how to access password keeper from the keyboard. This has been a bit painful because the password keeper is not accessible on Chrome browser (though it is on firefox). Password keeper is accessible through apps though. Someone may have figured out how to make the password keeper accessible from the keyboard on this forum though.

4. Mic on BlackBerry keyboard is not available. It's crossed out. Perhaps somebody on the forum got it working, but I haven't.

5. No Dtek app. This is the biggest difference, but Android Q will have its own version of enhanced privacy features so this will come down the line if you have a S10.

I love the phone. Battery is motion like and the camera and screen is great.
    rocnrol likes this.
    07-21-19 08:08 PM
    It's great so far, though there are a few things you should know.

1. You have to sideload the keyboard. Not hard, but you have to install colbalts app to do this.

2. The keyboard sits low on the screen. I find myself missing the spacebar and hitting a letter instead. Just gotta get used to it

3. I have not figured out how to access password keeper from the keyboard. This has been a bit painful because the password keeper is not accessible on Chrome browser (though it is on firefox). Password keeper is accessible through apps though. Someone may have figured out how to make the password keeper accessible from the keyboard on this forum though.

4. Mic on BlackBerry keyboard is not available. It's crossed out. Perhaps somebody on the forum got it working, but I haven't.

5. No Dtek app. This is the biggest difference, but Android Q will have its own version of enhanced privacy features so this will come down the line if you have a S10.

I love the phone. Battery is motion like and the camera and screen is great.
    Awesome, thanks for the info dom7

No stranger to sideloading
    07-21-19 08:12 PM
    I totally agree. I know several people who have had a phone with water resistance and it's been fo a dip and they never worked after. The only phone I ever got wet was my DTEK50 and it was a full dunk in a creek. Dried it out and it worked fine. So, really it's no guarantee that a water resistant device is as good as they say it is anyway.
    It Dtek 50 sucks ,the CPU otac- core capacity (sluggish) can't do much.
    07-22-19 12:52 AM
    Samsung has a feature called "App permission monitor" which is similar to DTEK/Android Q permissions.

https://forums.crackberry.com/e?link...token=MgV7Xepw
    07-22-19 10:00 AM
    Samsung has a feature called "App permission monitor" which is similar to DTEK/Android Q permissions.

https://forums.crackberry.com/e?link...token=W9zvXrTL
    I don't think this feature exists anymore with Samsung S10.
    07-22-19 10:21 AM
    I don't think this feature exists anymore with Samsung S10.
    Weird, it looks like they might have removed it. Maybe in anticipation for Android Q?

https://www.reddit.com/r/galaxys10/c...ssion_monitor/
    07-22-19 12:34 PM
    I got a killer deal on S10+, sideloaded BlackBerry kbd and paying for Hub, and with BB launcher it's pretty close to a Motion 2. Still have a bunch of BBs at work though.
    rocnrol and skilas like this.
    07-25-19 10:11 PM
    I got a killer deal on S10+, sideloaded BlackBerry kbd and paying for Hub, and with BB launcher it's pretty close to a Motion 2. Still have a bunch of BBs at work though.
    What was your killer deal on the s10+? Can I get in on this deal? Lol
    07-26-19 07:06 AM
    What does anybody think about the upcoming Asus Zenfone 6? Looks good to me except for the size. 6.4".
    Also, I worry about the durability of the flip up camera.
    But huge battery, SD card, good specs, not too expensive.
    I really like my Motion, but need an upgrade.

BB9000>Q10>Z10>Z30>Classic>Dtek50>Dtek60>Motion>S7 active
    07-29-19 04:13 PM
    What does anybody think about the upcoming Asus Zenfone 6? Looks good to me except for the size. 6.4".
    Also, I worry about the durability of the flip up camera.
    But huge battery, SD card, good specs, not too expensive.
    I really like my Motion, but need an upgrade.

Looks appealing yet think size would be a no-go for me. Personally not fond of design aspects that will add to a devices fragility thinking the flip-up camera in all likelihood will be susceptible to being damaged easily... What failsafe is there if camera tries to open in someone's pocket, will they know? So if had money to burn, and wanted something out of the norm to toy with, might buy into it otherwise nope.
    07-29-19 06:47 PM
    What failsafe is there if camera tries to open in someone's pocket, will they know?
    I'm not sure how the camera app would open in someone's pocket but on the Zenfone 6 the camera will stop trying to open if obstructed.

Motorized cameras likely have a similar failure rate to PKB's, I wouldn't be surprised if the latter is worse because of size and number.
    OTCHRussell likes this.
    07-30-19 12:09 AM
    What was your killer deal on the s10+? Can I get in on this deal? Lol
    $414 total, had some rewards I had to use or lose that subsidized most of it.
    07-31-19 12:51 AM
    Thanks. It looks like a nice phone. I would never be so mean to it!! ๐Ÿ˜†
    At this point the only thing that turns me off is the size. That's why I need to hold it in my hand, if I can find one to hold.

07-31-19 03:49 PM
    How is the software on the Essential phone? The reviews I can find were not very complimentary about it, but they are from the first few months after the phone's release two years ago. I haven't seen any newer reviews ( or been able to find any).
    Software is great. It is on Pie and is slated to get Q around the same time as the Pixel phone. Pretty much stock Android which keeps the 835 chip inside quick. For the price...you can't beat this phone. Good call quality, build quality is awesome. Ceramic back, titanium sides. I have the white model. The stock Dual cameras get the job done. One lense is a black and white monochrome.
    Last edited by Bay 13; 08-01-19 at 09:55 PM. Reason: Change
    08-01-19 09:49 PM
    So I have given up on waiting for a Motion 2 and ordered the Asus Zenfone 6. It has all the features I need, plus much more, at a reasonable price!!
    I was worried it would be too big, but it's the same size as the Motion with a MUCH bigger screen. It is pretty heavy.

What I wanted:
    Good battery
    SD card expandable memory
    Up to date OS
    Decent camera
    BlackBerry keyboard
    Good specs
    Good price

What I got:
    HUGE battery. 36 hrs on first charge even though I spent a LOT of time doing set up
    SD + Dual SIM
    Android 9.0 (Pie)
    Flip up camera for high def selfies, and no front camera to take up screen space.
    Cobalt > BlackBerry keyboard
    Flagship specs.
    $499 for basic 64GB model. I splurged and got the 256GB model for $100 more.

After 2 days I'm pretty impressed! Time will tell if it is durable and gets updated frequently. Meanwhile, I'm comfortable with this phone. It's my first NEW phone in a long time!

BB9000>Q10>Z10>Z30>Classic>Dtek50>Dtek60>Motion>S7 active>Zenfone6
    08-22-19 09:12 PM
    I have moved to Honor View 20. Did a lot of research and for the money it's a lot of phone. Camera is excellent. Transfered all my Blackberry Motion stuff I could which includes the wallpaper. So it's not uirw a new phone feel as display is all the same. Downside is no notification light, sound control options limited. I downloaded BlackBerry Hub, but think its just a trial and will be 89 pence a month to keep. Small price to pay to keepy phone nest and tidy ๐Ÿ‘
    08-28-19 12:37 PM
    @OTCHRussell, wondering whether the Zenfone 6 is compatible with T-mobile network? ...

Keep us updated how the phone is, please!

Thanks.
    08-29-19 06:19 AM
    I'm looking for 5-6", min. 4000 mAh, capacitive fingerprint scanner... and I can't find anything :/
    08-29-19 10:34 AM
    @OTCHRussell, wondering whether the Zenfone 6 is compatible with T-mobile network? ...

Keep us updated how the phone is, please!

Thanks.
    It's supposed to be compatible with all GSM networks. I'm on AT&T, I believe T-Mobile is the same.

So far I'm pretty happy with the phone. It has taken me a long time to set it up the way I like, (it has a million options), but I'm enjoying it.
    A little hard to see outdoors, but I don't have the brightness all the way up.
    Speakers are very loud. ๐Ÿ˜Š
    Flip camera works fine.
    I'm charging every other day.
    It's getting easier to put the Motion in the drawer ๐Ÿ˜†
    So far, so good.
    Biggest problem right now is no availability in the US. I think I got the last one from Amazon. Seller told me he is waiting for more from Asus.

BB9000>Q10>Z10>Z30>Classic>Dtek50>Dtek60>Motion>S7 active>Zenfone6
    the3maples likes this.
    08-29-19 10:44 AM
    PS just got the August update.
    08-29-19 10:51 AM
    still sticking to my motion till I dies on me.
    08-29-19 08:21 PM
    If BlackBerry doesn't come out with a good slab phone I'll just go with whatever the latest Samsung phone is available.
    08-29-19 11:35 PM
    What you guys think about Xiaomi Black Shark as a replacement for Motion?
    08-30-19 03:11 AM
    still sticking to my motion till I dies on me.
    I would have done that, but I got it used and it's not updatable. ( pre production model). I got tired of Dtek warning me. It still works perfectly and I love it!!
    08-30-19 07:12 AM
    Had no intention of replacing my motion, but device died this week. Appears to be sudden battery failure, had been working well. No, I can't find a replacement battery anywhere. BBMo says they don't make them, repair places can't source them. Hate to quit on teh device, because I planned to use it waiting for a motion 2. Would you have a battery from one of your damaged devices I could purchase?
    08-31-19 11:43 AM
192 ... 5678