Existing Huawei phones will keep Google Play Services, it's only future phones that can't officially have them.
    Until Aug 19th.
    05-20-19 07:17 PM
    Until Aug 19th.
    Nope, support for existing devices will continue beyond that. At most it sounds like monthly updates could be delayed as Huawei will need to wait for them to be pushed to AOSP.

The ban means that Google won’t be able to license those services to new Huawei devices. Google has said, though, that Google’s services will still function on existing Huawei devices.
    https://www.forbes.com/sites/jaymcgr...or-your-phone/
    chain13 likes this.
    05-20-19 07:28 PM
    Nope, support for existing devices will continue beyond that. At most it sounds like monthly updates could be delayed as Huawei will need to wait for them to be pushed to AOSP.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jaymcgr...or-your-phone/
    Yes, the apps won't literally be stripped off the phone as at Aug 19th, but will be gone after the first AOSP update after that date.

Of course, expert users will likely be able to root and install open gapps.
    05-20-19 07:30 PM
    Yes, the apps won't literally be stripped off the phone as at Aug 19th, but will be gone after the first AOSP update after that date.
    Do you have a link? First I'm hearing of this.
    05-20-19 07:39 PM
    I suspect the rules will change long before that, and several exemptions and reprieves will be given.

Although what I posted is just a function of how updates are applied.
    05-20-19 07:41 PM
    You weren’t included on the email? BTW, could you please go to HR to fill out some forms?
    05-20-19 07:42 PM
    I suspect the rules will change long before that, and several exemptions and reprieves will be given.

Although what I posted is just a function of how updates are applied.
    Ah, so it's speculation.

Neither Google or Huawei have mentioned that being a possibility and considering what's at stake I think they would, I don't think Google recertifies devices after updates either, only once before launch (which is why new devices won't have Google Play Services).

You weren’t included on the email? BTW, could you please go to HR to fill out some forms?
    Oh sur...what's that man doing to the locks?
    05-20-19 07:52 PM
    Ah, so it's speculation.

Neither Google or Huawei have mentioned that being a possibility and considering what's at stake I think they would, I don't think Google recertifies devices after updates either, only once before launch (which is why new devices won't have Google Play Services).

Oh sur...what's that man doing to the locks?
    It's not speculation.

When you flash a new build (that does not contain Google apps), then those apps do not get installed on the device.
    05-20-19 07:54 PM
    It's not speculation.

When you flash a new build (that does not contain Google apps), then those apps do not get installed on the device.
    Yes but per the article the restrictions only apply in cases where Google would have to work with Huawei and that only occurs when certifying new devices. Devices that have already been certified would presumably still bundle Google apps in updates provided they aren't working with Google to get them.

Google has said that the Play Store (the app store) and Google Play services will continue to work on your Huawei smartphone (Engadget reports that this is still possible because it doesn't require any interaction between Google and Huawei). That may not be the case for new phones.
    https://www.forbes.com/sites/jaymcgr...for-your-phone
    05-20-19 08:02 PM
    Yes but per the article the restrictions only apply in cases where Google would have to work with Huawei and that only occurs when certifying new devices. Devices that have already been certified would presumably still bundle Google apps in updates provided they aren't working with Google to get them.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jaymcgr...for-your-phone
    Despite the article, I remain unconvinced.

And even IF it isn't stripped after the first update, Google will no longer provide software updates for Google Play Services or any other Google apps (Reuters) - which means they will expire in short order by themselves.
    Last edited by conite; 05-20-19 at 08:30 PM.
    05-20-19 08:14 PM
    Pixel 3a seems like a good choice for the price. Upload the BlackBerry software on that phone and there you go. Only thing you would be losing out on is water resistance.
    Does DTEK app work on Pixel devices? That is a big deal.
    05-21-19 08:50 AM
    Does DTEK app work on Pixel devices? That is a big deal.
    The DTEK app is exclusive to BlackBerry Android but a similar app is coming to Android Q.

https://www.xda-developers.com/andro...sion-controls/

This wouldn't include BID or any BB Android security features. The recent Pixel devices have their own security features separate from Android (Titan M) but I'm not too familiar with them.
    05-21-19 09:32 AM
    Galaxy S10, BlackBerry apps (payed), BBM Enterprise and Nova Launcher.
    - Swipe up on any screen for Hub. Launch the Hub very fast! No lag, no waiting.
    - BBM Enterprise integrated very well in Hub, when open and close message from hub, the BBM app not remain opened in background! Like in BB10
    - gestures for navigation bar
    - KLWP wallpaper, with notification icons set.
    - good camera, incomparable with any BlackBerry phone camera.
    - decent size.

Sure, not cheap, but very happy with it!
    05-22-19 02:57 AM
    No need for IP rating here. I am not swimming with my phone. Battery again is not a problem for me as I always have access to charger or power bank if needed, there is SD card slot in both Moto and Nokia, those are even dual-SIM and both have headphone jack... So again, for me those do the same job...
    Midranger phones I recommend galaxy A 2019 series, between A50, A60, A70. Headphone jack, Dualsim+sdcard slot, 4/64 or 6/128 variant, secured with samsung knox, 4000mAh or more battery pack, triple camera, 2 years os upgrade + 3 years security patch. The cheapest is about 289-300USD (A50 4/64GB).

Load blackberry apps on it and you’re ready to go. And also in samsung’s one UI you can set the 3 softbuttons into swipe bar mode, you can also put blackberry hub inbox locked into multitasking window. Now everytime you swipe up, hub is always there. This is the closest way possible that could remind me back to my Z30
    05-22-19 03:14 AM
    you can also put blackberry hub inbox locked into multitasking window. Now everytime you swipe up, hub is always there. This is the closest way possible that could remind me back to my Z30
    What do you mean? How you do that?
    05-22-19 03:36 AM
    Galaxy S10, BlackBerry apps (payed), BBM Enterprise and Nova Launcher.
    - Swipe up on any screen for Hub. Launch the Hub very fast! No lag, no waiting.
    - BBM Enterprise integrated very well in Hub, when open and close message from hub, the BBM app not remain opened in background! Like in BB10
    - gestures for navigation bar
    - KLWP wallpaper, with notification icons set.
    - good camera, incomparable with any BlackBerry phone camera.
    - decent size.

Sure, not cheap, but very happy with it!
    LOL.. I’m doing the same setup on my phone for hub
    seletok likes this.
    05-22-19 03:41 AM
    What do you mean? How you do that?
    I mean I set my samsung phone to have similar UI as BB10 by using gesture/swipe and locked HUB in multitasking window.
    05-22-19 10:54 AM
    Ok. I found it.
    I also use Swipeup Utility to launch the Hub with swipe up and hold. This app replace Google now with the Hub.
    chain13 likes this.
    05-22-19 11:00 AM
    I have no problem with my Motion so far...
    if not motion 2 is coming out, I will wait till my motion can't breath anymore
    tayl0rd likes this.
    05-24-19 07:48 PM
    This. Motion doing all that I want it to.
    05-25-19 09:16 AM
    Second that.
    05-26-19 08:35 AM
    Looks like I will be going for Galaxy A70 (maybe A70S if avilable soon) in the end. Looks like well balanced price and features...
    chain13 likes this.
    05-26-19 11:37 AM
    Looks like I will be going for Galaxy A70 (maybe A70S if avilable soon) in the end. Looks like well balanced price and features...
    A lines this year has better price to performance ratio
    05-26-19 11:26 PM
    A lines this year has better price to performance ratio
    Seem to be the case. Looks like Samsung finally did something right. I wasn't using Samsung for a while but looks like a good time to come back to this vendor...
    chain13 likes this.
    05-27-19 02:38 AM

There is an intangible factor that I just can't explain when it comes to navigating a BB slab that I just can't seem to replicate with other slabs + BB suite and vkb.

Total BS. I have both a BlackBerry Dtek50 and Pixel 3a with BB Suite + Keyboard.

Navigation is actually easier on the Pixel because Pie brings gestures, among other enhancements, that will never find their way to a Motion. Pie is a significant move towards a BB10-like navigation experience. Android 6, 7 or 8 are not nearly as fluid, regardless of whether or not they are installed on a BlackBerry device or non-Blackberry device.
    chain13, Elky64 and elfabio80 like this.
    05-27-19 11:14 PM
192 1234 ...