As a Motion user who really enjoys his device, but has lingering issues that will keep me from holding on to it forever, I spend a lot of time thinking about what will be my next device.

I got my Motion in Nov 2017. And am on Telus in Canada. So come Nov 2019, I'll be getting a new phone (unless something pushes me early).

What do you think you will get next if no Motion 2 is ever revealed? Key2 (I've been very curious for this) or the rumoured Key3? An Android device that you would install Blackberry Hub, and maybe BB VKB on? Go back to iOS (if that's where you started)?

With the recent announcement of the Pixel 3a, it makes me very excited about mid range phones with great cameras. And camera is still my biggest issue with the Motion. If the Key2 dropped in price, I would be very tempted to get one right now.
    Last edited by skilas; 05-17-19 at 10:34 AM. Reason: title
    05-17-19 10:33 AM
    As a Motion user who really enjoys his device, but has lingering issues that will keep me from holding on to it forever, I spend a lot of time thinking about what will be my next device.

I got my Motion in Nov 2017. And am on Telus in Canada. So come Nov 2019, I'll be getting a new phone (unless something pushes me early).

What do you think you will get next if no Motion 2 is ever revealed? Key2 (I've been very curious for this) or the rumoured Key3? An Android device that you would install Blackberry Hub, and maybe BB VKB on? Go back to iOS (if that's where you started)?

With the recent announcement of the Pixel 3a, it makes me very excited about mid range phones with great cameras. And camera is still my biggest issue with the Motion. If the Key2 dropped in price, I would be very tempted to get one right now.
    I'm looking at the Pixel 3a, the OnePlus 7 Pro & possibly a higher end Motorola when I give up my Motion.

Sent from my BBD100-2 using CB Forums mobile app
    05-17-19 10:51 AM

Purchased my Motion day of launch w/Telus too. Was, and still am impressed with how it performs in everyday use except for, its camera. The latter has always been a sore spot and the reason I've chosen other devices since with better shooters. Still have the Motion yet it hasn't seen regular use since Feb of this year. Killer battery for sure yet my present devices are no slouches either.

Over the course, since launch of KEY2/LE, haven't been too impressed with BBMo's business practices. Too many delays, poor/spotty device availability, cameras that still pale compared to the competition, pricing, updates that are spotty, etc. So unlikely we'll be looking at another BB in the near future for our needs.

Had contemplated getting a KEY2 LE (Atomic) but the "unknown" (availability), after the dust had settled, allowed my enthusiasm for the device to dwindle to a point that we lost all interest. The RED KEY2 induced sticker shock so that wasn't in the cards either, plus availability here in Canada was basically non-existent.
    skilas likes this.
    05-17-19 06:57 PM
    This might sound hard to believe, but when it comes to slabs, I prefer my Motion over my Note8 and Pixel 3 that both have all the BB suite and vkb installed. The Note8 and Pixel 3 cameras destroy the Motion's no contest. But when it comes to navigating the UI and using a phone as a productivity device, I'll take the Motion every single time.

I don't know what it is about BB slabs... I just find them so much more effortless to be productive on.
    05-17-19 08:26 PM
    Nokia or Motorola for me. No need to pay arm and a leg for Android slab. Those do exactly same job as Motion did...
    the_boon and John Albert like this.
    05-18-19 08:41 AM
    Nokia or Motorola for me. No need to pay arm and a leg for Android slab. Those do exactly same job as Motion did...
    The only reasonably priced phone I can find with an IP rating, at least a 3500mah battery, an SD card slot, 4GB ram, 32GB storage, and a headphone jack is the Galaxy A8+. $400.

The Motion indeed has a unique set of features not seen on many slabs.
    anon(8980596), Elky64 and skilas like this.
    05-18-19 08:53 AM
    The only reasonably priced phone I can find with an IP rating, at last a 3500mah battery, an SD card slot, and a headphone jack is the Galaxy A8+.

The Motion indeed has a unique set of features not seen on many slabs.
    No need for IP rating here. I am not swimming with my phone. Battery again is not a problem for me as I always have access to charger or power bank if needed, there is SD card slot in both Moto and Nokia, those are even dual-SIM and both have headphone jack... So again, for me those do the same job...
    05-18-19 08:57 AM
    No need for IP rating here. I am not swimming with my phone. Battery again is not a problem for me as I always have access to charger or power bank if needed, there is SD card slot in both Moto and Nokia, those are even dual-SIM and both have headphone jack... So again, for me those do the same job...
    I have a Nokia 6.1 kicking around here too. The 7.1 is an even better device for only $350.

I was just strictly talking about a current Motion equivalent in my last post - assuming people here were looking for roughly the same features.
    05-18-19 09:00 AM
    I got a one plus 6t because my Motion screen cracked and BlackBerry mobile refused to fix it in the states because it is a 100-6 from Dubai. the replacement screen just arrived from Ali express but I think will keep using the one plus until any new slab device comes from BlackBerry, Pie swipe action took me back to BB10 and I won't let go this time. My mom's Dtek 60 battery died and I got her a Nokia 7.1, great device and with Android one it guarantees major upgrades, a thing that is a problem with BlackBerry at the moment.
    05-18-19 03:10 PM
    This might sound hard to believe, but when it comes to slabs, I prefer my Motion over my Note8 and Pixel 3 that both have all the BB suite and vkb installed. The Note8 and Pixel 3 cameras destroy the Motion's no contest. But when it comes to navigating the UI and using a phone as a productivity device, I'll take the Motion every single time.

I don't know what it is about BB slabs... I just find them so much more effortless to be productive on.
    The Pixel 3 is for sure a better slab than the Motion man.
    Smaller and more usable with one hand, and best in class camera.

The ONLY thing the Motion really has going for it is the 4000mAh cell and the notification LED.
    05-19-19 01:09 AM

The ONLY thing the Motion really has going for it is the 4000mAh cell and the notification LED.
    That, and a headphone jack, an SD card slot, an IP rating, and Integrity Detection.
    05-19-19 08:11 AM

I was just strictly talking about a current Motion equivalent in my last post - assuming people here were looking for roughly the same features.
    I would be.
    05-19-19 08:52 AM
    I went to a galaxy s10. I wanted a better camera with a massive battery. loaded the blackberry apps and I love it - though it wasn't cheap
    rocnrol likes this.
    05-19-19 08:54 AM
    That, and a headphone jack, an SD card slot, an IP rating, and Integrity Detection.
    I was mentioning the two things that cannot be found on other slabs.
    I guess you could throw in the rubbery back too
    05-19-19 09:34 AM
    The Pixel 3 is for sure a better slab than the Motion man.
    Smaller and more usable with one hand, and best in class camera.

I can't argue with you on the size and camera. The Pixel 3 definitely has the Motion beat there. But for some reason, I don't like working through the BB suite and vkb on the Pixel (or Note8 or Essential for that matter) than I do with the Motion.

There is an intangible factor that I just can't explain when it comes to navigating a BB slab that I just can't seem to replicate with other slabs + BB suite and vkb.
    Elky64 likes this.
    05-19-19 11:02 AM
    I can't argue with you on the size and camera. The Pixel 3 definitely has the Motion beat there. But for some reason, I don't like working through the BB suite and vkb on the Pixel (or Note8 or Essential for that matter) than I do with the Motion.

There is an intangible factor that I just can't explain when it comes to navigating a BB slab that I just can't seem to replicate with other slabs + BB suite and vkb.
    Is that intangible factor... brand preference by any chance lol?
    dantheman77 likes this.
    05-19-19 11:16 AM
    Is that intangible factor... brand preference by any chance lol?
    Yeah probably! Lol ! I'm such an unabashed and unashamed fanboy!
    the_boon likes this.
    05-19-19 11:17 AM
    When it comes to the Motion I have to agree with you on this. Its lacklustre shooter is the main reason we opted for something else after 16 months of use.
    05-19-19 11:38 AM
    Pixel 3a seems like a good choice for the price. Upload the BlackBerry software on that phone and there you go. Only thing you would be losing out on is water resistance.
    05-19-19 12:51 PM
    Pixel 3a seems like a good choice for the price. Upload the BlackBerry software on that phone and there you go. Only thing you would be losing out on is water resistance.
    And LED notifications. A rather big deal for many.
    skilas likes this.
    05-19-19 01:20 PM
    I would skip the 3a and go for something like last year's OnePlus 6, unless you really want the 3a's compact size.

The OP 6 has an LED (yes, it's very small and weak, but its something) and while it doesn't have a proper official IP rating, there have been several tests on YouTube that kind of showed it was capable to withstand a small dip.

There may be other slabs I'm not thinking of that have both these features, but I wouldn't know because I don't follow the slab market too closely.

I heard even the S10 has an LED up there in the hole punch, but since it's a Samsung and Samsung doesn't make a good LED firmware, you'd need Light Manager or Light Flow to get acceptable results.
    05-19-19 02:35 PM
    Mate 20 Pro
    05-20-19 04:51 PM
    Mate 20 Pro
    Little pickle with that one now though isn't there?

An Android phone with no app ecosystem. Welcome to the new Amazon Fire phone.
    Last edited by conite; 05-20-19 at 06:50 PM.
    05-20-19 06:37 PM
    Little pickle with that one now though isn't there?

An Android phone with no app ecosystem. Welcome to the new Amazon Fire phone.
    Existing Huawei phones will keep Google Play Services, it's only future phones that can't officially have them.
    elfabio80 likes this.
    05-20-19 07:15 PM
    Mate 20 Pro
    Go for the Mate 30 Pro that’s running KaiOS
    05-20-19 07:17 PM
192 123 ...