Long story short: Telus had the Google Pixel 3 at a discounted rate, and I jumped on it. It's a great phone. But because my Motion is still working fine, it's hard to force myself to make the transition. Yes, very first world problem...

Reasons why I still love my Motion (or things I'm just used to):

- Micro SD support. My Pixel 3 has 64GB internal. And no micro SD support. I have a 128 GB card in my Motion. Considering I got the Pixel for it's renowned camera, it's hard look past this, and go full in on something like Google Photos.

- Size. I never thought I'd say this, but the Motion is a good size device. I originally thought it was too big. But got used to it easily. Pixel 3 is thinner in regards to it's width. Similar height.

- Textured back. As someone who does like phone cases, I may not have a choice with the Pixel 3. So thin and slippery. I have ALWAYS felt the Motion's aluminum trim (though beautiful) was slippery too. But at lease it had the textures back.
    Battery. Much bigger battery in the Motion. Anecdotally I've heard the Pixel 3's battery is not strong. It's good for now, but I've not loaded up all my HUB services yet.

- Lack of LED notification. Blackberry tried and true flashing light. I missed it right away.

- Lack of convenience key. As someone who uses his phone EVERY night as a flashlight, it's hard to go back to turning on the screen and selecting the flashlight this way.

- Flashlight. The flashlight LED is a much warmer white on the Pixel 3. Too much for me. I much prefer the colder white of the Motion.

Ways it's better:

- Camera. This is a universal fact among users.

- Screen. So nice going back to an OLED screen after leaving my Z30.

- Speakers. Again, missed my dual speakers from my Z30, to the downward firing one from the Motion.

- Fingerprint sensor. So fast and consistent. The one on my Motion has been inconsistent from day 1.

Anyways, that's just a quick run down on the hardware side. Not used it enough to really gauge the software. In the end, I will get the Pixel 3 running as a main device for me. At least for a bit, so I can factory reset my Motion and see if I can speed it up. Maybe during that transition I'll learn to love it more. But right now, there's a lot of little things like this that make me want to stay with the Motion.
    09-17-19 11:00 AM
    Anyways, that's just a quick run down on the hardware side. Not used it enough to really gauge the software. In the end, I will get the Pixel 3 running as a main device for me. At least for a bit, so I can factory reset my Motion and see if I can speed it up. Maybe during that transition I'll learn to love it more. But right now, there's a lot of little things like this that make me want to stay with the Motion.
    Install the suite of apps, not sure software would be much different... other than the jump between Oreo and Android 10.
    skilas likes this.
    09-17-19 02:04 PM
    Could a dbrand skin help with grip? They have a carbon fiber variant which might give your phone more of a "BlackBerry" look.
    skilas likes this.
    09-17-19 07:07 PM
    So just thought I would updated my thoughts on this. A month later, and I'm finally comfortable using my Pixel 3 as my main device (I have trouble saying "daily driver"). I still have my Motion in my bag as a backup. But after maybe another week, I can leave it at home.

More thoughts:

Storage: Until I'm very comfortable with the 64 GB storage, I find myself always checking how much I've used. Especially during this initial setup. I'm up to 40%, just loading up most of my apps. I plan however to jump head first into Google Photos, and avoid keeping full size photo on the device after a period of time. Whereas on my Motion, I kept all my photos from the 2 years I used it. I also use One Drive to save a copy of the full resolution photos.

Screen: It's dark. I forgot that OLEDs tend to be dark (at least my Z30 was like that). I used to keep my screen on my Z30 on max brightness all the time. Motion has a much brighter screen. Motion is also much "cooler" and "bluer". I know it's not much bigger, but the Motion's screen size FEELs much bigger. I miss that too. Also, I don't know how I feel about the rounded corners of the screen on the Pixel 3. Might just add to the size feeling smaller.

Flashlight: I miss the bright cool flashlight on the Motion. It is much brighter than the Pixel 3's rear flashlight.

LED notification light: I still miss this from the Motion. But I'll just have to get used to this.

BB HUB+: I did end up installing the BB HUB+ suite of apps (well, Inbox, Calendar, Contacts). And pay the subscription for ad fee. I also installed the Launcher. But because of the lack of a physical home button on the Motion, it doesn't seem to cover the very bottom of the screen. It's distracting, so I'm just using the native one.

Battery: Always the big topic about the Motion. So far... The Pixel 3 seems to be better. Likely because I'm comparing a 2 year old Motion vs a new Pixel 3. But at least it's not all the doom and gloom I had been hearing.

Anyways, all-in-all the Pixel 3 seems to be a great phone. But since my transition is still early days, it does remind me of all the great things that the Motion did/does. So I just wanted to remind everyone (even though I'm preaching to the choir here), than the Motion really is a great device. I know sales would not show it (though we don't know the numbers), and awareness of the device is non-existent, I was really happy with my 2 years with it. I will be happy to get it set up as my trustworthy backup.
    branflakes likes this.
    10-15-19 10:18 AM
    Do you miss the convenience key? Does Pixel have a substitute for the convenience key?

Posted via CB10
    10-15-19 09:31 PM
    Do you miss the convenience key? Does Pixel have a substitute for the convenience key?

Posted via CB10
    You give the phone a squeeze.
    10-16-19 07:25 AM

Posted via CB10
    As Conite said, it has a squeeze function. It's called Active Edge. I don't use it though, because I don't think you can program it to whatever you want. It's mostle for activating Google Assistant or silencing your phone. I programmed by Convenience Key to turn on the flashlight. And I really miss that function.
    10-29-19 11:56 AM
    I got a great deal on the pixel 2xl 128gb. Have loaded the BB launcher and hub but I really miss the keyboard and convenience key. Like REALLY miss them.
    11-03-19 08:47 AM
    Also, other than the camera, there is nothing to recommend the pixels over a motion in my opinion 🤷
    11-03-19 08:49 AM
    I am using since two weeks a pixel 3a...and it is pretty great. But you have to change a lot of settings carefully in order to have acceptable privacy settings.
    11-03-19 11:58 AM
    I am using since two weeks a pixel 3a...and it is pretty great. But you have to change a lot of settings carefully in order to have acceptable privacy settings.
    What did you have before?
    11-03-19 03:38 PM
    What did you have before?
    I dual carry an iPhone 7 plus....great phone, long battery life...just a bit heavy. Of course some times I just do carry only a BB....Passport or Classic.
    11-03-19 03:55 PM
    I dual carry an iPhone 7 plus....great phone, long battery life...just a bit heavy. Of course some times I just do carry only a BB....Passport or Classic.
    I miss my Classic
    12-09-19 04:33 PM
    Got a Pixel 3 three weeks ago. I almost hate to admit it, but I love it. Much like the Priv was a great upgrade for me from a Z10, the Motion was a great upgrade from the Priv, the Pixel 3 has been a great upgrade from the Motion.

I miss the LED. Also miss the convenience key to assign the flashlight to. Other than that, I'm good. Pixel's launcher is clean, which I like, much like I loved BlackBerry's launcher. The camera is night and day. It's fantastic and one reason I was looking for a new phone.

I don't really use headphones with my phone, so the lack of the headphone jack isn't affecting me (though I dislike the trend).

I spent the first week adjusting settings, especially with notifications. The transfer was smooth. Android 10 is an excellent OS.

I installed the BB suite of apps (subscribed) and got Cobalt's BlackBerry VKB. That has been key for me, as the BB VKB is the only vkb I've ever liked. BB nailed it on that.
    the_boon likes this.
    12-10-19 02:56 PM