I bought a Motion for myself, and with the exception of the downgraded camera, I am really enjoying it.

So, I bought a used one on eBay for my wife. Mine is running Android 8.1.0, but hers is not.

Mine is BBD100-2, Build Number ACA542, patch July 5,2019.

Hers is BBD100-2, Build Number AAM871, patch July 5, 2017 and only running Android 7.1.2.

How do I update it to Oreo? I tried the "updates" app, and it's reported to be up to date. I have tried it with and without her SIM card in. We're both on AT&T.

I don't know what else to check to see what I am doing wrong or what I need to investigate to fix it.

Thanks.
    08-31-19 02:17 PM
    As far as I can tell AAM871 was a prerelease build, which happens sometimes with devices dumped onto eBay. If you check the PRD (device type number, pretty much) by typing *#837837# into the phone dialer it might help diagnose why no updates ever came; if it's PRD-63739-7xx or 8xx, that indicates a prerelease device not meant for public distribution. Still, you could try flashing a factory image of the latest ACB256 OS (August 2019 patch) onto the AAM871 device.

Anyway, make sure anything important on the AAM871 device is backed up beforehand (copied to a computer/other phone, saved onto a portable SD card/the cloud, etc.), and then disable any device passwords or locks on the AAM871 device, since TCL never did figure out how to bypass that with reloading software. Then, download the ACB256 factory image to a computer: https://forums.crackberry.com/blackb...patch-1174748/

Once you download and extract the file (it'll need 7-Zip on Windows or something like Keka for Mac), you'll see some script files (.bat files for Windows and .sh files for non-Windows), flashall and flashallnowipe; the latter does the same as the former, except without wiping the device. However, since you're jumping forward two years in terms of the OS, a wipe is recommended.

When you're ready to flash, turn off the Motion, hold the power and volume down buttons at the same time, and the device will enter fastboot mode (with a service menu in the corner). Once that happens, plug the phone into your computer, run the flashall script, and if all goes well the script will flash ACB256 to the phone. After it completes the device will be on the latest (and potentially last) OS for the Motion. Should you wish to update your own Motion from ACA542 to ACB256, flashallnowipe should be safe enough (but make sure to still back up your data and remove the device password/locks). You might need the BlackBerry USB drivers installed to get the phone recognized, those can be found here.
    09-01-19 08:09 AM
    Many thanks for the info and procedures. I will report back after I try this.
    09-01-19 09:29 AM
    As far as I can tell AAM871 was a prerelease build, which happens sometimes with devices dumped onto eBay. If you check the PRD (device type number, pretty much) by typing *#837837# into the phone dialer it might help diagnose why no updates ever came; if it's PRD-63739-7xx or 8xx, that indicates a prerelease device not meant for public distribution. Still, you could try flashing a factory image of the latest ACB256 OS (August 2019 patch) onto the AAM871 device.

Anyway, make sure anything important on the AAM871 device is backed up beforehand (copied to a computer/other phone, saved onto a portable SD card/the cloud, etc.), and then disable any device passwords or locks on the AAM871 device, since TCL never did figure out how to bypass that with reloading software. Then, download the ACB256 factory image to a computer: https://forums.crackberry.com/blackb...patch-1174748/

Once you download and extract the file (it'll need 7-Zip on Windows or something like Keka for Mac), you'll see some script files (.bat files for Windows and .sh files for non-Windows), flashall and flashallnowipe; the latter does the same as the former, except without wiping the device. However, since you're jumping forward two years in terms of the OS, a wipe is recommended.

When you're ready to flash, turn off the Motion, hold the power and volume down buttons at the same time, and the device will enter fastboot mode (with a service menu in the corner). Once that happens, plug the phone into your computer, run the flashall script, and if all goes well the script will flash ACB256 to the phone. After it completes the device will be on the latest (and potentially last) OS for the Motion. Should you wish to update your own Motion from ACA542 to ACB256, flashallnowipe should be safe enough (but make sure to still back up your data and remove the device password/locks). You might need the BlackBerry USB drivers installed to get the phone recognized, those can be found here.
    This all worked brilliantly. The Motion was indeed a PRD model you suggested. I had just gotten it, so there was nothing to back up. I just started from scratch.

The download from Mega took awhile, because I don't have an account. And, then I downloaded 7 Zip to extract the file, because I didn't have it. (Not complaining - just posting both comments here for anyone else who needs to follow this.)

The instructions for entering fastboot and flashall were perfect. I had never done anything like this before. It worked great, the phone is now running Android 8 and everything is groovy.

Again, many thanks for the response and clear instructions.
    thurask and skilas like this.
    09-04-19 09:53 AM