So a lot has been said about how big the Motion's battery is, that people are getting 2-3 days out of it, and so on.

But what is the best way to take care of it? I've read things like: don't charge it over 80%, don't let it die completely, and only use the supplied charger. But what is the truth?

In the past, I had a Z30, charged it overnight every night, and did nothing special to preserve the battery. I had the phone 4 years. Still got me through the day, but needed that charge by night.

Any help would be appreciated.
    01-17-18 07:52 AM
    So a lot has been said about how big the Motion's battery is, that people are getting 2-3 days out of it, and so on.

But what is the best way to take care of it? I've read things like: don't charge it over 80%, don't let it die completely, and only use the supplied charger. But what is the truth?

In the past, I had a Z30, charged it overnight every night, and did nothing special to preserve the battery. I had the phone 4 years. Still got me through the day, but needed that charge by night.

Any help would be appreciated.
    Just use the phone as you would normally use your Z30. I used my KEYone just as I did my HTC One M9 (worst battery life ever) . Videos, Netflix, text, calls, Facebook messenger, and a android Transformers Game. I could easily go the whole day and still have like 55% by the time I went to bed.

Today is my first full day with the Blackberry Motion. I've been off and on it for the last 2 hours. I have about 94% battery life left. I've not adjusted my settings or screen brightness. Battery seems to last well.
    01-17-18 08:03 AM
    Nothing really special about the Motion's battery.... so the general "tips and trick" that are out there on the web should work for it like any other smartphone.

https://www.androidcentral.com/how-t...phones-battery
    01-17-18 08:08 AM
    Meh on that garbage.

I've written a few posts on this topic here. Here's reality -- this is a matter of physics and chemistry, not opinion.

1. ALL modern phones have their chargers set up to *abuse* the battery. Specifically, it is *abusive* to *all* lithium-chemistry batteries to continue bulk charging beyond 4.2V, and *ALL* of them do so. They do this in the name of more-rapidly charging, because to NOT do so means you wind up with a 3-4 hour charge cycle, and nobody likes that. If you run up to 4.3V instead you can cut that by 30-50%, and you can get a bit more if you set it even a bit higher. However, beyond 4.3V you start to take the risk of serious incidents (aka Samsung!), so..... yeah.

2. Since YOU cannot reprogram the charge controller in the phone you have only a few things you can do about this. The first is to not charge all the way. A 100% charge is not all that bad for the cell *provided* the charger does it properly, but none do. Note that it does not matter what sort of charger you use since control of the charge and voltage is in the *phone*, not the charger.

3. The *best* option is to charge only to about 80-85% capacity, *and never float-charge*, which means don't leave it plugged in overnight. This is sad, because properly programmed there is no reason at all that you shouldn't be able to leave the phone plugged in, but since all the manufacturers cheat.....

Fortunately the Motion has a big enough battery that "opportunistic charging" (e.g. for an hour at your desk, or the 30 minutes you have in the car while driving to work, etc) is probably enough for you to never be at material risk of running out of power. This is not true for most devices today, but since it is for the Motion it's easy to do what you can do extend battery life.

My expectation is that short of getting a bad one from the factory (which an always happen) you should get 3-4 years of good service life out of the battery in that device. Most devices do well to get 2 years as a result of the above, and in pathological cases (e.g. where small size batteries for charging twice a day, for example) you'll be lucky to get one year.
    skilas likes this.
    01-17-18 09:57 AM