01-28-18 08:04 AM
67 123
tools
    Not just the gallery app - but EVERY app, including file managers. Not exactly trivial.

Why describe the integration as "cute" if not to be intentionally provocative? It's actually quite ingenious - not to mention convenient.
    BlackBerry -- the most convenient phone for taking and protecting nude selfies! Time for another Super Bowl ad!

Posted with my trusty Z10
    01-02-18 01:29 PM
    BlackBerry -- the most convenient phone for taking and protecting nude selfies! Time for another Super Bowl ad!

That's an ad I could get behind.
    zephyr613 likes this.
    01-02-18 01:34 PM
    Not just the gallery app - but EVERY app, including file managers. Not exactly trivial.
    Bah, until someone shows me a static-linked binary that can't see the directory and contents. We can reasonably assume they didn't do this because doing so leaves the directory itself visible in such a case but you can't list the contents of or chdir into it (in other words, where there is ACTUAL security of some sort) which strongly implies they didn't even go so far as to use the underlying operating system's permission system but instead hacked on libc.

Why describe the integration as "cute" if not to be intentionally provocative? It's actually quite ingenious - not to mention convenient.
    The evidence thus far is that they didn't even bother with OS-level filesystem security -- which would not have been difficult at all to do, especially considering that Android already (by default) assigns unique UIDs to each app that is installed and the filesystem will enforce permissions against that without doing any fancy-pants anything. Indeed uid (or gid) flipping (seteuid/setegid) would take care of the rest.
    01-02-18 02:00 PM
    It's TCL as far as I can determine.. The modules all have JRDCOM all over them, which appears to be some dev arm of TCL
    01-02-18 03:05 PM
    It would be nice if it also encrypted the files within the Locker, hopefully they add that feature too.
    01-02-18 05:35 PM
    It's TCL as far as I can determine.. The modules all have JRDCOM all over them, which appears to be some dev arm of TCL
    com.jrdcom.filemanager is on the Play Store: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...om.filemanager

Although, the comments aren't too encouraging.

There's also various versions on APKmirror: https://www.apkmirror.com/apk/mie-al...ile-manager-8/

To compare, here's "BlackBerry" Files 7071.0516.08.1:

How to access files held in the Locker without any security authorisation!-opyofqe.jpg

And here's TCL Files 7.0.7.1.0525.0_00_1206:

How to access files held in the Locker without any security authorisation!-em5ionv.jpg
    01-02-18 06:04 PM
    com.jrdcom.filemanager is on the Play Store: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...om.filemanager

There's also various versions on APKmirror: https://www.apkmirror.com/apk/mie-al...ile-manager-8/

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	OpYOfqe.jpg 
Views:	106 
Size:	41.1 KB 
ID:	432876

Name:	em5ionV.jpg 
Size:	53.0 KB 
ID:	432877
    The TCL one is beyond hideous. Seriously, who on earth would use color like that? I've seen better art in a preschool class project.

01-02-18 07:03 PM
    The Blackberry version has the same colors though, just inverted (icon vs the background)
    01-02-18 08:34 PM
    wow. blackberry is defo living up to its secure reputation 😐
    01-02-18 08:44 PM
    The Blackberry version has the same colors though, just inverted (icon vs the background)
    Sure, but using the colors as accents against a light neutral background is sound design. Making a "clown" app is not.

01-02-18 09:04 PM
    So I went and looked at the TCL file manager description in Google Play and here's the feature that I believe the "Locker" is based on:

* Safe box—Move your personal files to safe box. Which has password protection.

It looks like they just renamed the feature..

Name:	OpYOfqe.jpg 
Size:	41.1 KB 
ID:	432876

Name:	em5ionV.jpg 
Size:	53.0 KB 
ID:	432877
    01-03-18 09:20 AM
    It looks like they just renamed the feature..
    Doesn't make it bad though.

I'm not sure anyone suggested the locker would revolutionize smartphones. It's just a nice convenience feature with slick camera UI integration.
    01-03-18 09:23 AM
    It wouldn't be "bad" for any other consumer phone, but because this is a BlackBerry, who have long traded on their reputation for "security", this particular implementation (no encryption, just relying on app mods (and reportedly OS mods as well) to hide files) is really a deficient implementation..

I'm now trying Sophos Secure Workspace, which is their enterprise file security app that can also be used personally. For personal use, it's a hassle to configure (must configure an app password, which secures the app itself (you can also allow fingerprint auth, but you still have to set another password), then configure encryption keys that you can use to encrypt files). To be fair, it's probably fairly transparent to the user in the enterprise use case..

In any case, this app does perform AES encryption of your files, and once encrypted, access is fairly transparent from within the app (tap on a file and it is decrypted and opened by whatever app is registered for that file type and re-encrypted afterward if modified), but the whole import/encrypt and then decrypt processes are fairly slow..

This app is not ideal, but it does work.. I would really prefer, as I stated in another thread, if they would implement a feature like Samsung's old KNOX app where they use another SELinux security domain to create a separate execution environment which not only allows them to create private apps, but also fully encrypts the data in a much more transparent manner.. Samsung has all sorts of hooks into their proprietary TIMA security stuff, but if TCL is still using Blackberry's modified Android architecture, they already have most of the equivalent mechanisms in place to implement such a facility..
    01-03-18 09:46 AM
    It wouldn't be "bad" for any other consumer phone, but because this is a BlackBerry, who have long traded on their reputation for "security", this particular implementation (no encryption, just relying on app mods (and reportedly OS mods as well) to hide files) is really a deficient implementation..

I'm now trying Sophos Secure Workspace, which is their enterprise file security app that can also be used personally. For personal use, it's a hassle to configure (must configure an app password, which secures the app itself (you can also allow fingerprint auth, but you still have to set another password), then configure encryption keys that you can use to encrypt files). To be fair, it's probably fairly transparent to the user in the enterprise use case..

In any case, this app does perform AES encryption of your files, and once encrypted, access is fairly transparent from within the app (tap on a file and it is decrypted and opened by whatever app is registered for that file type and re-encrypted afterward if modified), but the whole import/encrypt and then decrypt processes are fairly slow..

This app is not ideal, but it does work.. I would really prefer, as I stated in another thread, if they would implement a feature like Samsung's old KNOX app where they use another SELinux security domain to create a separate execution environment which not only allows them to create private apps, but also fully encrypts the data in a much more transparent manner.. Samsung has all sorts of hooks into their proprietary TIMA security stuff, but if TCL is still using Blackberry's modified Android architecture, they already have most of the equivalent mechanisms in place to implement such a facility..
    Holy smokes! The locker is simply a cool way to hide private selfies and prevent them from automatically being synced to the cloud. That's it. It has never been purported to be anything more than that.
    01-03-18 09:49 AM
    I believe the latest update, AAT179 has fixed this issue on my Motion 👍

Can someone else try it on their device where they initially had this issue to confirm pls. Thx
    01-28-18 05:35 AM
    I believe the latest update, AAT179 has fixed this issue on my Motion

Can someone else try it on their device where they initially had this issue to confirm pls. Thx
    It's fine now.
    01-28-18 08:00 AM
    Thx @conite, appreciated
    01-28-18 08:04 AM
67 123