I just got a Motion and I’m having trouble establishing a hotspot. The software will not let me turn on the hotspot. I can change the parameters but not turn-on the functionality. Any Thoughts?
    01-06-18 09:58 PM
    might be a stupid question but, do you have mobile data turned on?
    01-07-18 01:01 AM
    Does your carrier allow hotspot/tethering?
    01-07-18 01:05 AM
    Got data turned on and I have tethering on my account. APN is properly defined. I have AT&T tech support researching an answer but it seems that AT&T might not let non-branded phones create hotspots/tether automatically. It might not be impossible but certainly not straightforward. If anybody else has any experience with the issue ... any advice would be greatly appreciated.
    01-07-18 12:04 PM
    I can tell you that I had a functional hotspot enabled on a non-AT&T branded android phone.

My guess is BlackBerry has it enabled, but you might want to check the service screen to see if you can toggle the setting.

To get to the service screens you will want to do an internet search.

Keep digging ...

 Classic SQC100-2 I 10.3.2.2813
    01-07-18 12:25 PM
    Got data turned on and I have tethering on my account. APN is properly defined. I have AT&T tech support researching an answer but it seems that AT&T might not let non-branded phones create hotspots/tether automatically. It might not be impossible but certainly not straightforward. If anybody else has any experience with the issue ... any advice would be greatly appreciated.
    AT&T has a habit of doing this sort of thing; they IMEI-check and also check some of the other provisioning and device-type data sent when the hotspot is turned on.

Of course it doesn't help that the vendors play this "hot spot switch" game where they actually EMBRACE this sort of nonsense. It's entirely possible for a device to turn into a hotspot without the carrier being notified at all (but the carrier CAN do packet inspection and for unencrypted traffic figure it out quite easily), but none of them do it -- they all "ask nicely" - aka "mother may I" - instead.

Which sub-model of the Motion is is?

A workaround is the use the Bluetooth connection via PDANet if the target is a laptop; it's not ideal but it works, and since you ARE allowed under your plan to tether if they get mad the hell with them.
    01-07-18 02:04 PM
    Thanks for the insight! I have a 100-1.
    01-07-18 02:29 PM
    I can’t toggle the switch on ...
    01-07-18 02:32 PM
    Yeah, that's expected behavior from an EU model device.... but there's no guarantee the -2 won't do it too.

AT&T does that sort of thing all the time.... they did it originally with the DTEK60, in fact, and it was a while before they let it through.
    01-07-18 08:30 PM
    Were you able to get anywhere on this? I got my - 2 yesterday and I can't enable the Hotspot either. I called AT&T and the answer was that they don't allow unlocked devices to use the Hotspot feature but I explained that my unlocked PRIV doesn't have a problem...no solution given.
    01-28-18 01:34 PM
    Just checked my wife's factory unlocked Pixel2. Hotspot is fine. Not working on my Motion. Looks like time for another call to A$$ for me. Will report the result.
    01-28-18 03:53 PM
    Looks like this is more of an AT&T thing but Mobile Hotspot is working fine on my BBD100-2 w/Telus.
    01-28-18 04:06 PM
    After 35 minutes in the phone the rep says the APN settings need to be entered manually. ATT does not have the settings. Maybe get from BlackBerry or from the seller. For now no Hotspot here. Will check at Best Buy this week.
    01-28-18 05:36 PM
    Do you think the APN from my priv would work? I tried it today just to ensure I wasn't crazy and it still worked like a champ. I could pop the sim in to get the settings and post them if they are not hardware specific.
    01-28-18 06:16 PM
    Do you think the APN from my priv would work? I tried it today just to ensure I wasn't crazy and it still worked like a champ. I could pop the sim in to get the settings and post them if they are not hardware specific.
    Good question. The Google Pixel 2 settings do not work.
    01-28-18 06:28 PM
    No dice. The APN settings on my priv are the same as the motion. I added a new one anyway but no change. I'm going by the AT&T store tomorrow but I'm prepared to be disappointed
    01-28-18 09:12 PM
    Don't know if it will work for you but I did a check up on mine and noticed I couldn't turn on the mobile hot spot ether but after switching the Bluetooth tethering on the Mobile hot spot went on, then you can switch Bluetooth tethering off and the mobile hot spot will remain on.
    Mecca EL likes this.
    01-29-18 11:38 AM
    This is probably AT&T playing games (again); they did the same thing with the DTEK60 when it was first released and it was a few months before they cut the crap after a lot of people hollered.
    01-29-18 02:00 PM
    On the business side, AT&T has no idea what to make of the IMEI of my Motion. The DTEK60 was detected as a generic LTE smartphone. My guess is that they need to load something that correctly ID's the Motions so that they enable the hotspot feature. Sure wish BBMobile would contact them for us.
    01-29-18 03:38 PM
    The answer I got from the AT&T store was that the Motion isn't fully compatible with the AT&T network. They recommended that I wait until AT&T starts selling their branded version, by then the network will be updated and able to support the Motion. No time line for the branded version
    01-29-18 03:54 PM
    AT&T is lying; there is no "compatibility problem" that is not of their own intentional making. This sort of lie ought to lead to prison time but it never does in the US when the liar is a big corporate firm.
    01-29-18 04:15 PM
    You know, when the people at the service end give you an answer that doesn't make any sense, understand that they just feel obliged to make noises. They may as well just grunt. But, at least they grunted.
    01-29-18 04:23 PM
    Those T Mobile unlimited plans are looking pretty good right about now.
    01-29-18 05:34 PM
    I don't have a Motion, but what I did on my Aurora might work, I stuck my sim in the secondary simslot, and keep hotspot on all the time to my KEYone, plus can attach more devices up to five at a time. But I do have it locked to 3G.

I just got a Motion and I’m having trouble establishing a hotspot. The software will not let me turn on the hotspot. I can change the parameters but not turn-on the functionality. Any Thoughts?
    01-29-18 09:51 PM
    AT&T is lying; there is no "compatibility problem" that is not of their own intentional making.
    Pretty much. All that needs to be done is have the IMEI in the system and have the device registered but if the system won't recognize the device, it won't work. It could be overridden but alas, that's the part that's intentional of their own making.

They started removing the override options from the systems, so your basic everyday rep isn't going to be able to do it and tech support just simply won't because you know, they tend to like getting paid for work and just do what the higher ups tell them to.
    01-30-18 01:09 AM
105 123 ...