But if a Motion 2 was manufactured as a derivative of the key 2 but without the keyboard perhaps low volumes could still be profitable?
    06-21-18 02:45 PM
    They may simply fall back on the fact that Optiemus will be releasing their 'Ghost' vkb device. Supposed to be more of a high-end phone. Hopefully the availability will be more widespread than Asia and Europe.
    Last edited by jackcarr; 06-29-18 at 03:25 PM.
    06-21-18 08:42 PM
    The bottom line is they need to make phones people want to buy. Marketing alone is not going to sell phones.
    Marketing goes hand in hand with product development.
    They have a budget and a strategy. Let's see if a VKB is part of that strategy going forward. I hope so.
    06-22-18 04:24 AM
    Marketing goes hand in hand with product development.
    They have a budget and a strategy. Let's see if a VKB is part of that strategy going forward. I hope so.
    They need to move PKBs first and get some carrier success. Compared to KEYone sales, the Motion sales failed miserably. I wanted a Motion but I won't buy without carrier support.

Posted via CB10
    06-22-18 06:31 PM
    They need to move PKBs first and get some carrier success. Compared to KEYone sales, the Motion sales failed miserably. I wanted a Motion but I won't buy without carrier support.

Posted via CB10
    Yep, they need to sell phones period /full stop.
    The more attractive the product, the better the marketing, the higher the sales.

As an example, in Spain, AFAIK, there are no physical units on sale anywhere, and regarding carriers, only one, Vodafone, has the Keyone Silver, and nothing else. How does that help sales? If you go to the typical big stores that sell slabs, you can find practically every single major and minor brand of mobile, except Blackberry. They used to have the DTEK range in the majar FNAC store, not anymore. Any there's no advertising or marketing here.

So, not looking good for anything Blackberry to be honest...
    06-23-18 12:28 PM
    If there is no carrier support, then make it easy to order them online.
    Fernando Martin likes this.
    06-23-18 12:41 PM
    They want to be in carrier stores and with major retailers. BBMo/TCL knows that people buy when they can handle. Look at their presence with electronics retailers or electronic departments of general retailers with TV business.

If they go online too much without carrier and retailer support, they'll get blacklisted like with the DTEK and Motion devices. They seriously have to do whatever the retailers demand or it's pointless. Not really what people want to hear but go back and look at BlackBerry and TCL distribution even as separate brands over the last Six years, especially in North America.

Posted via CB10
    06-23-18 01:59 PM
    I think the key to Blackberry's success is going to be for them to expand their product line. They need to come out with high-end phones, mid-grade, and low end, like Samsung and many other manufacturers, have done for a long time now. Even Apple has to do this in today's market. Apple used to put out one phone every year. Then two, then three, and this year, when you count the low-end SE, there will be four. There is no one size fits all. They should work with the carriers that want to work with them and use Amazon as their distributor to sell their unlocked phones.
    06-23-18 10:18 PM
    I think the key to Blackberry's success is going to be for them to expand their product line. They need to come out with high-end phones, mid-grade, and low end, like Samsung and many other manufacturers, have done for a long time now. Even Apple has to do this in today's market. Apple used to put out one phone every year. Then two, then three, and this year, when you count the low-end SE, there will be four. There is no one size fits all. They should work with the carriers that want to work with them and use Amazon as their distributor to sell their unlocked phones.
    The problem is the licensing fees to John Chen make it difficult for BBMo to price their devices aggressively. Maybe they could put out a sub $350 PKB phone if they strip features like capacitive keyboard and fingerprint sensor etc...
    06-24-18 06:03 AM
    Will the Motion receive Oreo ? cause it looks like the keyone will
    06-24-18 06:11 AM
    The problem is the licensing fees to John Chen make it difficult for BBMo to price their devices aggressively. Maybe they could put out a sub $350 PKB phone if they strip features like capacitive keyboard and fingerprint sensor etc...
    Do you have some inside information on what that fee is? Most believe isn't pretty nominal, and is not a major factor in the cost of the BlackBerry Mobile Devices. The costs are based on their product strategy, which is ton position the BlackBerry lineup as a premium offering based on features, not hardware specs.

If you don't like the price, blame BlackBerry Mobile, not BlackBerry.

Posted with my trusty Z10
    06-24-18 06:57 AM
    Do you have some inside information on what that fee is? Most believe isn't pretty nominal, and is not a major factor in the cost of the BlackBerry Mobile Devices. The costs are based on their product strategy, which is ton position the BlackBerry lineup as a premium offering based on features, not hardware specs.
    BlackBerry gets a royalty of around $10-15 per phone according to this interview,

https://forums.crackberry.com/blackb...-bb10-1139865/
    06-24-18 11:07 AM
    BlackBerry gets a royalty of around $10-15 per phone according to this interview,

Exactly. I think most people would agree that the exclusive features of the BlackBerry Mobile devices are worth an additional $25 (assuming profit mark up of the licensing fee).

06-24-18 12:48 PM

That may be an initial licencing outlay. But I would suspect there is also a software maintenance/update fee going forward - something PT BB Merah Putih clearly opted out of.
    06-24-18 01:08 PM
    Exactly. I think most people would agree that the exclusive features of the BlackBerry Mobile devices are worth an additional $25 (assuming profit mark up of the licensing fee).

Yeah, I lean more towards VKB BlackBerry's so I'd be willing to go as high as $50 above similar Android devices but the Motion was closer to the $100 range at launch IIRC.

That may be an initial licencing outlay. But I would suspect there is also a software maintenance/update fee going forward - something PT BB Merah Putih clearly opted out of.
    I assume that's what the range he quoted is for.
    06-24-18 02:08 PM
40 12