"We're talking about a Chinese device (TCL) with a BB logo on it. It's not a BB per se. And consumers are better informed these days. " K1 in your hand is BB design (the last BB design). Chinese MFG for sure. Just like iPhone, except didn't put a label: "design by x in y, location". Motion, might be the 1st TCL design with some BB flavour. Hopefully, they carry on exceeding K1 (based on its good fundation...). Design is what differentiate from BB/MOT/LG/Apple/HTC/Sony to the rest of the pack, regardless spec... It is the design team (xiaomi got a french designer, but just one person, can not oversee the whole handset, unless you are Ive, Rubenstien, - hands on in every single way...). I am glad you got K1. I consider BB design team major achievement to dig few bucks out of your pocket... sure it is a major accomplishment on top of their award.. definitely field proven superior design.
    10-06-17 06:41 PM
    I didn't realize we had practically the same thread. oops !!
    10-06-17 08:29 PM
    That price you suggest will never be true
    10-07-17 06:02 AM
    Are there devices with better specs, for a lower price and look better? Yes. There also laptops cheaper than Apple's iPhone X for $1,149 but people will still go out and purchase it.

To me, I'm paying for the Blackberry logo, the fast security updates, the hardened android OS and of course the Blackberry Hub. It's also simply about knowing I'm getting a device that's built to last. Something I'm able to keep for many years to come. All my previous Blackberry devices are still in working condition many years later. Blackberry isn't for everyone.
    The fast security updates? Wait....what?
    cwalt2166 likes this.
    10-07-17 06:48 AM
    Are there devices with better specs, for a lower price and look better? Yes. There also laptops cheaper than Apple's iPhone X for $1,149 but people will still go out and purchase it.

To me, I'm paying for the Blackberry logo, the fast security updates, the hardened android OS and of course the Blackberry Hub. It's also simply about knowing I'm getting a device that's built to last. Something I'm able to keep for many years to come. All my previous Blackberry devices are still in working condition many years later. Blackberry isn't for everyone.
    Never compare BlackBerry with Apple, the outcome doesn't look good for BlackBerry. And Apple doesn't utilize Android as an OS.

BlackBerry Hub is nice, but not really as good as the old one in BB10, like in my Z30.

As for "hardened Android OS": It is just a matter of trust. Almost every known manufacturer is trying to create it's security layer. With less money than the others, I doubt many good BlackBerry engineers didn't jump to another companies.
    10-07-17 07:08 AM
    BlackBerry Hub is nice, but not really as good as the old one in BB10, like in my Z30.
    Meh.

What other options do you have for an Exchange-linked mobile device that (1) handles Notes, Calendars, Contacts and Emails, (2) does so including S/MIME encryption and signing properly, and (3) is an Android handset?

I'll answer that for you: None that I've been able to find, either native or via downloaded apps. Android's native application suite is incapable of doing this and so are the various vendor-provided overlays (e.g. Samsung's.)

So if you live in a corporate world that is not all-Google (that is, you live in the world where 90% of corporate is, which is Exchange-based) and wish to utilize that in a secure manner to access contact lists, calendars and emails, what other device(s) in the Android universe would you be considering beyond BlackBerry's current and future offerings?

I'll answer that for you: None.

If you're insane enough to actually put your corporate email, calendars and contact lists on Google's servers you should be committed to a mental hospital and, if in a regulated industry where formal security and privacy policies with the force of law are part of the game, you are probably breaking the law on top of it.
    Granehill and stlabrat like this.
    10-07-17 07:18 AM
    This means the battery will not require replacement for four to five years for nearly everyone, which means for the first time in a non-user replaceable battery you have a device that does not have planned obsolescence built into it by design. With water and dust resistance you won't kill it if it gets rained on either, so other than death-by-broken-screen the phone is likely to physically make it to that four-year mark as well.
    Excluding that timeline, phones have had batteries as big as or bigger than what the Motion is rumored to have for many years now.

As far as obsolescence is concerned, unless the phone can be easily repaired by end users (like many feature phones, older BlackBerry's, Fairphone, etc) it's hard to make that call. There's also an issue that many Android phones will only get updates for 2-3 years at best if at all. For some users, a phone that no longer gets OS or security updates would essentially be obsolete.
    10-07-17 10:36 AM
    I would say that there is no competition for the Motion, meaning that if you compare the phone inside out. The KEYone, Priv, DTEK 50 and 60 are competitors.
    10-07-17 10:45 AM
    The two phones above were presented as enterprise phones too in the main Spanish business daily newspaper.
    There are very high spec at a very competitive price and in that respect will be very attractive to companies.
    The only way BBm could be successful would be convincing companies that the security features are really work, and are worth the extra. Is BBm going to advertise this well and widely enough to convince potential buyers? Will it look quality enough or look different. There's an opportunity as the two I mentioned looks identical to practically every other slab, including the spy shots of the Motion.

At a consumer level, I don't think people care about monthly security updates, hubs or Kernels (whatever that is) or believe in the brand. So if you're buying on numbers of specs per euro, you definitely won't choose the BBm Motion.

It's up to TCL to pump in big money in a very creative and smart way. Time till tell, but based on the previous years' track record, you'd be a brave man to bet on a certain number of units sold.

Retail consumers don't care about spec. Does the phone have a good front facing camera for selfies to post on social media is more important than specs.
    10-07-17 10:45 AM
    Meh.

What other options do you have for an Exchange-linked mobile device that (1) handles Notes, Calendars, Contacts and Emails, (2) does so including S/MIME encryption and signing properly, and (3) is an Android handset?

I'll answer that for you: None that I've been able to find, either native or via downloaded apps. Android's native application suite is incapable of doing this and so are the various vendor-provided overlays (e.g. Samsung's.)

So if you live in a corporate world that is not all-Google (that is, you live in the world where 90% of corporate is, which is Exchange-based) and wish to utilize that in a secure manner to access contact lists, calendars and emails, what other device(s) in the Android universe would you be considering beyond BlackBerry's current and future offerings?

I'll answer that for you: None.

If you're insane enough to actually put your corporate email, calendars and contact lists on Google's servers you should be committed to a mental hospital and, if in a regulated industry where formal security and privacy policies with the force of law are part of the game, you are probably breaking the law on top of it.
    Well written and very true
    10-07-17 10:50 AM
    phones have had batteries as big as or bigger than what the Motion is rumored to have for many years now.
    Paired with a battery-sipping SoC like the 625, not having to drive a huge/QHD screen, and in a durable package? And combined with enterprise-level security?
    10-07-17 11:56 AM
    Paired with a battery-sipping SoC like the 625, not having to drive a huge/QHD screen, and in a durable package? And combined with enterprise-level security?
    The Asus Zenfone 3 Zoom has the same SOC and a 5000 mAh battery, the Galaxy S8 Active has better specs with the same size battery. There are also older devices like the Huawei P8 Max, LG X Power, Blu Life, etc that have larger batteries than the Motion's rumored 4000 mAh. For Android large batteries are certainly a great selling point but they aren't new.

BlackBerry Android certainly has a security advantage (primarily in root protection, which is important) but with inconsistent OS and security updates across existing devices it might not mean much for enterprise buyers. With the S8 Active I think it's also worth pointing out that BlackBerry Android may not have as many security certifications as Samsung's Knox which could be a decisive factor for some enterprise customers (assuming they also want battery life/durability).

https://forums.crackberry.com/genera...-knox-1116959/
    hjc73734 likes this.
    10-07-17 01:42 PM
    I all in on blackberry but i actually agree with OP. The new blackberry should be competing with the same spec class not with phones that has the newest tech also it was a bit disapointing that it only has ip67 like the iphone, when samsung has ip68 water proof. Also when you mention apple they actually have great spec in their phones so its not just the brand you pay for. Ps i hate apple. So why cant BlackBerry just acknowledge that we have to make a comeback and either make a killer spec phone or compete with the same spec ones. Id rather win that fight than lose the price vs spec fight.

Posted via CB10
    Apples don't have great specs, their high end devices had 2gb, and 64 gb of storage. This is garbage.
    10-07-17 02:58 PM
    Apples don't have great specs, their high end devices had 2gb, and 64 gb of storage. This is garbage.
    You can't compare Apple to Android. It's a different architecture, and Apple enjoys total vertical integration and optimisation. Apple still owns almost all performance benchmarks. I personally prefer Android, but I won't denigrated the iPhone.
    stlabrat and Troy Tiscareno like this.
    10-07-17 03:10 PM
    Apple has been dominating specs for last 3 years. Look at there A10/11 soc chipset.
    10-07-17 03:17 PM
    You can't compare Apple to Android. It's a different architecture, and Apple enjoys total vertical integration and optimisation. Apple still owns almost all performance benchmarks. I personally prefer Android, but I won't denigrated the iPhone.
    I'm not comparing. What they own is irrelevant. At least to me. The world record economic car is a nearly 20 years old diesel, but so what?
    10-07-17 03:48 PM
    Apple wipes the floor with Qualcomm on the CPU front...
    10-07-17 03:50 PM
    I'm not comparing. What they own is irrelevant. At least to me. The world record economic car is a nearly 20 years old diesel, but so what?
    Are those vehicles all at the top of today's performance charts too?
    10-07-17 04:03 PM
    Are those vehicles all at the top of today's performance charts too?
    Not really, it was Renault or Peugeot.
    10-07-17 04:26 PM
    "Apples don't have great specs, their high end devices had 2gb, and 64 gb of storage. This is garbage." apple got Axx processor, which is completely different than others. it also has swift language, that utilize look up table to short cut subroutine execution to speed up code and eliminated un-necessary memory requirement (hard coded). Do a little research before call it garbage... (or your opinion a bit like garbage..... take few lesson of swift on line using stanford university youtube, might dig you out of G-can ;-). spec reader... ha_
    10-07-17 07:04 PM
    10-08-17 09:53 AM
    That button tho, did it need to be physical or did that bottom bezel need to be that big? Otherwise I think it could be a great looking device

Posted with my good ol reliable classic
    10-08-17 10:18 AM
    That button tho, did it need to be physical or did that bottom bezel need to be that big? Otherwise I think it could be a great looking device

Posted with my good ol reliable classic
    https://www.instagram.com/p/BZ_QYSVgVYk/

Check out the video to see it work.
    10-08-17 10:23 AM
    https://www.instagram.com/p/BZ_QYSVgVYk/

Check out the video to see it work.
    Noooo, it works like the dreaded track pad of the old Bolds. I can already see a lot of tired and broken Motions due to that.

Posted via CB10
    10-08-17 10:38 AM
    Noooo, it works like the dreaded track pad of the old Bolds. I can already see a lot of tired and broken Motions due to that.

Posted via CB10
    Then don't use it. It's a bonus anyway.
    10-08-17 10:39 AM
61 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD