Does the Motion support slimport or something similar?
    01-31-18 04:51 PM
    Does the Motion support slimport or something similar?
    It uses a standard USB-C port so most USB-C to HDMI cables has the potential to work. I say potential because USB-C support is kinda tricky and not everything out there conforms to standards.
    01-31-18 05:45 PM
    It uses a standard USB-C port so most USB-C to HDMI cables has the potential to work. I say potential because USB-C support is kinda tricky and not everything out there conforms to standards.
    So if I buy a "somewhat reliable" cable, it "should" work?
    01-31-18 06:04 PM
    So if I buy a "somewhat reliable" cable, it "should" work?

Yep. I suggest reading the reviews and seeing if you can find comments from folks who have similar devices. (Snapdragon 625) and go from there. For example: Some say it'll work on Samsung but it's not working on their LG etc.
    jagrlover likes this.
    01-31-18 06:07 PM
    I have an MHL connector I use that works very well with with a Samsung tablet, doesn't need power - Micro USB to HDMI, with an adapter for use with USB-C.... it doesn't work with the Motion. I believe the phone (i.e. Motion) needs to have an HDMI port ("software" capability, not the physical connector) - from my searches of the forum, I don't think it has - please somebody prove me wrong!!

I don't know whether SlimPort will work, I don't have access to one to try. I would probably have to buy via EBay but I'm not forking out $$ until someone confirms it will work!

EDIT: Just searching the forums, came across this -
    https://forums.crackberry.com/blackb...l#post13008115
    Someone got a KeyOne working wired output using Displaylink OTG cable - check post #42
    Last edited by br14nh; 02-02-18 at 08:05 AM.
    02-02-18 07:39 AM
    Seems like a reasonable support inquiry to me. I would email BlackBerry Mobile Support.

I'm not saying they will provide a solution, but it's a reasonable thing for a customer to ask.

Posted with my trusty Z10
    02-02-18 07:59 AM
    USB-C to HDMI is a standard (DisplayLink OTG) - there's no "good or bad" as far as functionality goes.

But the phone itself has to support sending video and multichannel audio via the USB-C port or it won't work - and many USB-C phones don't support it. I have an LG V30 that does, but the LG G6 (using an 820 instead of an 835 SoC) does not.

So before you buy a cable, verify that someone else has gotten it working or that it definitively does not work on your phone.
    valer466 likes this.
    02-02-18 03:07 PM
    USB-C to HDMI is a standard (DisplayLink OTG) - there's no "good or bad" as far as functionality goes.

But the phone itself has to support sending video and multichannel audio via the USB-C port or it won't work - and many USB-C phones don't support it. I have an LG V30 that does, but the LG G6 (using an 820 instead of an 835 SoC) does not.

So before you buy a cable, verify that someone else has gotten it working or that it definitively does not work on your phone.
    Nice to have an A/V expert around when you need one! Thanks, Troy.

Posted with my trusty Z10
    Troy Tiscareno likes this.
    02-02-18 03:33 PM
    I contacted Support to ask what different protocols were supported (SlimPort, MHL, HDMI port, Apps that might be needed, etc), part of the answer so far -

"The device supports OTG but no display drivers exist on the device."

I will continue to explore options with them.
    02-02-18 05:09 PM
    Right. Supporting OTG doesn't by itself support video. SlimPort and MHL were pre-USB-C standards, and AFAIK shouldn't exist on USB-C devices. DisplayLink is intended to replace those proprietary standards with a single open standard, but, again, not every device supports it, and that may be down to whether the SoC supports it. I suspect that we'll see it be supported more consistently on newer devices, but the transition to USB-C wasn't seamless - for example, some devices had USB-C ports but were really just USB 2.0 connections internally because that's all the SoC actually supported at the time.

I'm not sure if the 625 supports DisplayLink itself or if an additional chip is needed. Again, almost certainly this is integrated into the 835 and probably in newer-generation SoCs, but the 625 and other chips of that generation (like the 820 in the LG G6) likely didn't support it yet.
    valer466 likes this.
    02-03-18 03:36 PM
    What I hear is it has" Potential" for the Motion too work USB C to HDMI ,but I don't think it works as does the Dtek60 does not. Does other TCL cell products work? From what I see "no", but correct me if I'm wrong. If this is the case, I myself want to be wired in than using wifi so this is another minus against BlackBerry. It seems that they are taking more and more features away from what should be a standard features .
    Just my thoughts 🤔...
    02-09-18 01:12 AM
    In the nineties Sony-Philips worked together to produce some really good standards and tech.

Post 2000, everybody went hammer & tongs on proprietary-don't step on my lawn mode thanks to china-men infringing everything.

Similar was the case with Qualcomm, they introduced CDMA over TD slots & Ericsson/Nordic tech companies bettered the idea and introduced W-CDMA which is the parent of all 2.5G & above tech which we see today.

Apple's marketing was more satisfying than it's proprietary lossless audio codecs, and eventually we've ended up with Lawsuits today instead of collaborations.

It's seen everywhere... chips, batteries, power cables, display tech...

The only place where i see collaboration happening, atleast passively, is again the nordic region, between Philips(yeah philips aint exactly nordic, but dutch & located across the pond)-B&O-other unknown tier 2 tech facilitators, who despite being different companies, help each others cause to make better hardware to produce better sounding music in cars, theatres etc.
    02-09-18 01:47 AM
    I was disappointed to find that the Motion does not have HDMI support. I have however found a solution that I think is even better.
    1) I bought a Chromecast for £30
    2) I connected my Motion and the Chromecast to the WiFi hotspot on my old Blackberry Priv and set the Chromecast up.
    3) I switched everything off and swapped the SIM card from my Priv to the Motion
    4) I changed both the Mobile Hotspot name and the Hotspot password on my Motion to match the Priv
    5) I switched the Chromecast back on and switched the Mobile Hot Spot on on the Motion. The Chromecast connected directly to the Motion Hot Spot.
    6) I can now cast anything from my Motion to my Chromecast using just the Motion's own WiFi hotspot. This is perfect for casting my phone screen in meetings at work, watching films stored on my Motion on a hotel TV, or casting BT Sport, Youtube or Spotify etc from my phone to any screen with a HDMI port.
    03-21-18 05:43 PM